Old 06-13-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
Nichan
Ribbing the Cuff

Problem: the "rolling" edges of scarf...
hi,
do you know why sometimes edge side (or any edge) of scarf we knit or else is like rolling? is it the incorrect needle size or what?

and how to prevent this happen again? is it normal? ( i dont think so...)

i don't know whether the needle size or i knit it too tight...i just thought if i want to make a tank top and the edges is rolling, it's gotta be funny and definitely not a tank top anymore, but a bikini...hahaha...i'm imagining it...

anyway...i made besides scarf, a bag...and my, let's say 5 first rows, of the bag project is rolling...well, it's cute too, but, that's not what i want...it didn't happen to hat or mitten or fingerless gloves project...

if you girls need the picture, please let me know...i haven't prepare it right now...so, i can't submit any picture of my problem...

thanks all!!!!
Nichan is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-13-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
Renoah
1st Leg of the Journey

Are you knitting in stockinette stitch (knit 1 row, purl 1 row)? Stockinette stitch curls naturally- you can read what to do about it in this FAQ thread.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
When you knit something in stockinette that will be seamed, rolling isn't an issue since the seaming will flatten it out. As for scarves, you'll see that stockinette rolls naturally if it doesn't have a border of some sort.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:12 PM   #4
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Nichan.. I often do a small moss stitch border on a stockinettes scarf to avoid that 'roll'. It might just be five stitches either side and on chunky yarns sometimes I've got it down to three. Other people may use garter stitch or another pattern.
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
At the top of this forum is a sticky post for curling stockinette. There are several ideas in there to help if that is what you are having problems with.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:08 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
If you're making a tank top, you'll be seaming the sides so that will stop the rolling. If the bottom hem does, you can just let it roll - many patterns do this on purpose - or you can add an edging to it when you're done.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote