Old 06-14-2007, 11:53 PM   #11
redwitch
Working the Gusset

I'm sure everyone will have more tips about what worked for them, but I suggest you see a dermatologist as well, and when you try things give them a bit of time to see if they work. They may recommend something that's expensive for a whole line (moisturiser, toner, cleanser, mask...), ask for samples: say enough for 2 weeks to see if it makes a difference, don't be led into buying larger amounts if you are not sure they will work, even good-quality lines may not work the best for you. I do hear good things about Cetaphil, which is apparently cheaper. Most times a good supermarket brand can be as good as the expensive stuff, but maybe not for severe cases where you might need medication or something heavy-duty.
Many changes can affect your skin but in your case my first suspect would in fact be hormonal changes, so remember this is likely to settle down with time.
If you can't see a dermatologist right now I would suggest a good brand in the supermarket price range, since you are only using water now. Be careful with very grainy scrubs as they may make things worse if you are too harsh when using them. I suggest a gel cleanser, not a creamy cleanser, and a moisturiser for acne-prone skin, and something with a high concentration of salicylic acid for a night treatment (I have recently got Garnier 2-part system with a scrub and a gel 'peel' for night and I like it a lot, reasonable price too). If you can't spend tons of cash I say the toner should be the first to go especially if you are looking at an expensive line, expensive toners are a waste of money IMO, I love toners but would never spend much on them at all.
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redwitch For This Useful Post:
Lucy Fan (06-15-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-14-2007, 11:56 PM   #12
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
I am 20 years old, and I've recently developed a problem with acne, too. Throughout middle school and high school I never had any acne problems, except maybe the occasional spot here or there. Since I went to college though, a big change in lifestyle and HUUUGE addition of busy schedule and total stress, and I developed an acne problem.
No regular products for me until I tried the AcneFree system. It's very similar to Proactiv, but you can get it for $20 at places like Walmart and Kmart. It's worked wonders for me, because it has the three different products that all work together. Nothing else worked for me, but this stuff is great. :D
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redheadrachel For This Useful Post:
Lucy Fan (06-15-2007)
Old 06-15-2007, 09:45 AM   #13
ctmax
Knitting the Flap

I never had a problem with acne until I had my first child. I have tried everything. The only thing that works for me is proactiv, I find it is well worth the money. I have tried AcneFree system, but found it didn't work as well as the proactiv.
ctmax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ctmax For This Useful Post:
Lucy Fan (06-15-2007)
Old 06-15-2007, 12:27 PM   #14
phisch
1st Leg of the Journey

I second all the suggestions about seeing a dermatologist. Ask them what they recommend you do and if over the counter things can be tried first. I'm really leery of taking meds too quickly.

Accutane does cause major birth defects. Someone I know who had it was made to go on the pill.

Speaking of the pill...that helps sometimes, too.

My sister has major acne and uses Proactive regularly and it really did a good job for her.
phisch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phisch For This Useful Post:
Lucy Fan (06-15-2007)
Old 06-15-2007, 01:58 PM   #15
Chel
Turning the Heel

I am 32 and have adult onset acne that began at 29. I break out mostly around my chin, hairline and the bottom of my cheekbones.

I searched around for something to fix it and it took about a year to find my solution.

First of all I wash my face once in the morning once at night. Immediately after washing I pat dry and apply Clean and Clear Dual Action Moisturizer.

When I wash my face, I use all natural soap made by The Bee Folks. My favorite scent they have is Lavender. I also use this for my body but keep a separate bar just for my face.

I began using this soap a while ago, but kept using it after my dermatologist noticed a marked improvement in my keritosis. He acutally recommended it over the stuff he had prescribed me!!!

This regimen keeps me relatively clear. Ohhh but if I miss a day-watch out!!!!!

OTN: Jaywalkers (hibernating), Webs Scarf
KnitInNature
Chel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chel For This Useful Post:
hunterjenn (06-15-2007), Lucy Fan (06-15-2007)
Old 06-15-2007, 03:26 PM   #16
Krystal
Turning the Heel

If you tend to lack allergies, try something over the counter first(whatever has been suggested), if that clears things up your gold. If they don't work, see your doctor.

I have always had stubborn acne. it's gotten a million times better since I've hit my 20's, but I still have the tiny ones all around my hair line and get bad blotches all over a couple times a month. I have tried 3 different product lines, (Neutrogena, Clearsil, and Noxema) and they never payed off. In fact when I tried Clearsil I ended up horribly allergic.

I find Noxema's 3 step cleansers help keep the acne minimal, and stops the big blotches to just one or 2 instead of 4. But I want it gone.

I just picked up a mini case of Proactive, it's pricey, but if it works I will buy the full set. I am getting married in a couple months I really don't want to have to touch up the pics.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:57 PM   #17
Lucy Fan
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you all so much for your advice. I'd like to stay away from prescription meds if possible because I'm trying to get pregnant. Proactive intrigues me but I'm so frugal I don't know if I could do it. So many people mentioned Cetaphil that I might try that. And my natural interest in home remedies has me curious to try garlic and lemon juice. I'll definately let you know what I decide and how it works. If I can't get it cleared up soon I'll definately see a dermatologist.
Lucy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:03 PM   #18
Mommy22alyns
Turning the Heel

I cannot suggest multi-oil supplements enough! You can try fish oil, flaxseed oil, etc. I personally like the GNC multi-oils, but anything can work.

It seems counterintuitive to take an oil supplement to combat breakouts, but it works amazingly well. I'm always trying products galore, but that is one of the rare things where I notice a huge difference in my skin when I run out.

This would also be much safer than any prescription retinols, but obviously check with your doctor when you get pregnant. OBs always have differing opinions on what's safe and not.

I'd also recommend getting a mild cleanser (like Cetaphil) and some lotion/moisturizer that is specially made for the face. There are lots of great options at Wal-Mart or drugstores.

Knitting for baby - those little things fly off the needles!
Mommy22alyns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mommy22alyns For This Useful Post:
Lucy Fan (06-19-2007)
Old 06-15-2007, 04:35 PM   #19
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

I think Proactiv works GREAT. I saw a slight increase in acne at first, but it lasted for only the 2nd and 3rd days of use.
Once you get into a routine of using it, though, you need to keep it up. If you stop for a few days the pimples will come back, and then you're kind of starting over.
I don't like to use toner because I have SUPER DRY skin.
You might also try any kind of oil and alcohol free cleanser; you want to hydrate your skin with water. I have had success also with clinique moisture surge.
Lucy Fan (06-19-2007)
Old 06-15-2007, 05:55 PM   #20
baronreads
Knitting the Flap

I think you've gotten a lot of good advice. A couple things you might want to think about - besides it being hormonal is that it could be stress related! I've finally decided that my acne is both hormonal and stress related. Also, if you use makeup brushes, you may want to clean them more regularly, they could be harboring bacteria that is making you break out. I did go to a dermatologist and it was a waste of money. He basically asked ME what I thought it was, and then what I wanted to try, and the antibiotic he gave me did NOTHING but upset my stomach. I'm still looking for something to clear it up all together. It is better but my stress is better too! Good luck!

baronreads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baronreads For This Useful Post:
Lucy Fan (06-19-2007)