Old 06-15-2007, 12:40 AM   #1
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR
OT-New Dog-Losing my mind
Well, I went and got another dog yesterday. He was turned in by his owner for not being potty trained quick enough, he's 1 year now. The shelter neutered him and said he was doing really well with his training. Well, I get him home and can't get him to go outside, but he has no problem going inside So this is what I'm doing...

Take him and Rose (my other dog) out together, she will always go potty because she knows, let Rose back inside, give him a few minutes more, if he doesn't go take him in and crate him, give him 10-15 minutes in the crate, take him out and tell him to go potty, if he does *which he hasn't yet* let him in, otherwise back in the crate

We are one out 5th trip outside and I know the second he gets let back in the house he's going to go Does this sound like it will work?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-15-2007, 12:47 AM   #2
mum2caden
1st Leg of the Journey

Have you tried doing the whole cleaning up his pee with an old rag, and then putting the rag out in one spot in the yard- then taking him there to pee? My Dad did that when training our lab puppy a few years back and he still will go to that spot first and have a little pee, before deciding if he wants to go elsewhere in the yard, lol.
mum2caden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:48 AM   #3
zip

Poor baby. He's in a new place and scared. I'd ask the shelter what they did that helped him do well. Also, what breed(s) is he?
Old 06-15-2007, 12:54 AM   #4
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

He's a beagle. Trouble all the way. I just went out there to the crate, he chewed though the leash I left on him *sigh* I tied him out and I'm just going to hope he goes. It's just a frustrating time, we're leaving on vacation tomorrow and there's just a lot going on already.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:02 AM   #5
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

I just brought him in, he was barking. I swear the neighbors are going to get pissed soon. I have him leashed to my leg. The shelter said not to let him have free range of the house until he can be trusted.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:03 AM   #6
zip

It's dangerous to leave a leash on an animal. It can get caught on something and choke him or her to death.

These people would take him. Or at least return him to the shelter. I don't wish to be rude, but it's cruel to bring a dog into your home the day before you're leaving for several days. :(
Old 06-15-2007, 01:10 AM   #7
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

No, they are both coming with us.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:14 AM   #8
Momto G B and H
1st Leg of the Journey

I really really feel for you. We have a beagle too, and it took forever to train her. Fortunatley for us, we live in the country and I can let her out to run. She always comes home but can burn off energy.
Once I was able to leave her outside for longer periods of time, she finally didn't pee in the house anymore.
Cee-Cee 4
Ravelry ID--MomtoGBandH
My blog--Put that on your needles and knit it!!
Momto G B and H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:24 AM   #9
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Thanks. I also have to remember he's still a bit of a puppy. Rose and him have had several tiffs, I hope they can work it out. Plus it doesn't help that I brought him into "her" house.

FYI-I don't want to give him up by any means, I just want to make sure the training I'm doing is right for the situation.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:10 AM   #10
redwitch
Working the Gusset

He is probably stressed out so understand that he will not be behaving his best right now, he is in a new and scary place and doesn't know what will happen next. He will continue to be scared and annoying and difficult until he gets settled especially if you are taking him somewhere else tomorrow. Resist the urge to tell him off loudly or yell, he will have no idea why you are being so mean and punishing and scaring him. If he does it inside, keep an eye on him so you can straight away run over there and take him outside, saying firmly and loudly and slowly (but not yelling) 'NO.' No exclamation point, just 'NO boy DON"T do that'. Take him out mid-stream if you must (hmmm might want to keep him near the door or on laundry/lino type floor). When he wees outside tell him immediately 'Good boy! good boy!' and give him lots of affection. And I second the idea to put the pissy rags/whatever out there with him to get the idea. He might also be encouraged to go on the same trees your other dog has if you take him over to those trees right after the other dog has finished.

Remember he just doesn't realise that he can't go inside, don't get frustrated, just make it clear that you do not like him peeing inside and you disapprove and peeing is for outside only. It might be out of excitement or nerves inside, or he has lived inside and weed there so he doesn't realise that's not the rules in a new place.
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote