Old 06-15-2007, 03:14 AM   #11
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR
Interesting thing...My husband got home about an hour and half ago and has taken him out twice and got him to go both times for him. Maybe he's partial to my husband I know our other dog is in love with me.

I had talked to the shelter about the trip and they thought it would be best to bring him, rather then board him. They also figured it would be bonding time with him.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-15-2007, 04:14 AM   #12
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR
Yea, I'm super excited!!! John boy was laying at my feet and I said to him "Let's go outside!" Of course Rose then heard that and jumped up too. I let her out first and John waited at the door, then I took him out and he went, YEAH!!! Then brought them both in and gave them treats (Rose has always gotten potty treats). I hope it continues to go well!!!
Old 06-15-2007, 05:33 AM   #13
redwitch
Working the Gusset

If you have trouble again ask your husband to go out and show him what he's supposed to be doing!!!
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:29 AM   #14
Nobones
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to Nobones
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
If you have trouble again ask your husband to go out and show him what he's supposed to be doing!!!
My Dad did that to potty train his Border Terrier, I thought he was joking but reading this I'm beginning to wonder.

I hope all is going well and this hasn't put you off bonding with the new puppy.

My dress & costume making website-
www.gothwardian.co.uk

'Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work'. -Aristotle

Nobones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:47 AM   #15
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

I applaud you for taking on this little guy. You are a true hero in my book. For someone to give a dog up because they can't potty train them is beyond horrible. (just my opinion - being a dog lover and all)

It's just a patience game unfortunately. My little girl is as stubborn as they come, but she came around. Took her 6-8 months to potty train her little butt. We did the bells on the doorknob thing and it works to this day. (7 yrs later).

Have a great time on your vacation. I think it's great you are able to take them with you.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:48 AM   #16
Maitai
Casting On

I have found that the word "no" said in a firm voice and a spray bottle filled with water, has worked wonders in training pets. It kind of stops them from what they were doing wrong and focuses the attention on your command and you will not have to actually squirt them after the first few times. It is the sound of your voice, the sight of the bottle and your action of showing them what you expect that works....dont just soak them with water and laugh...(been there, done that) j/k*smacks self* and no I have never hurt a pet in any way...I'm too loving for that. I was was just so thrilled that I had his attention at last.
I have trained my cats and dogs this way and we all live very happy together now, with just my voice command of "no". (of course that is after the water bottle backing me up the first few times)
Oh, and I have used this method on my hubby as well it has turned a few bad arguments into a very fun chase around the house and made light of what the problem was in the first place. ~
Maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:26 AM   #17
bellium
1st Leg of the Journey

it sounds like you're doing everything right so far - do you bring treats outside to treat him once he's "done his business" outdoors? i also have found it helpful to train my dogs to go on command - something i picked up from raising guiding eyes puppies - everytime he starts to go (outside, like he should), say your command (we used "get busy"), then treat. they soon equate "get busy" with going to the bathroom, and it's a nice way to get them to go when you don't feel like standing outside in your jammies for 20 minutes while your dog finds the perfect spot to pee.

i am sure you already know this, since you have another beagle, but i would highly recommend finding a basic obedience class that uses positive reinforcement to enroll him in as well - they like to be busy, beagles do, and you can often curb some of their more destructive behaviors like barking, digging, etc, by giving them something more productive to do.

good luck with your new family member!
bellium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:20 PM   #18
samm
Turning the Heel

I think you are on the right track with him. We've always had luck with the resident dogs showing the new dogs what to do. Don't let him out of your sight! Our latest little guy, a shihtzu from the shelter, used to go out, and then come back in a poop in the hallway. We started giving him treats outside when he did it out there, and that stopped the inside stuff. Except for an occasional rainy day..... We also use the command, "Hurry up!" and say it when the dog performs until he realizes that hurry up means to go! The neighbours probably think we're nuts, but that's okay. We had a beagle a long time back, who was a rescue puppy and the dearest fellow, once he grew up a bit. Beagles are loveable and puppies for years! Good luck with your new "baby"! samm
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:06 AM   #19
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Bless you for rescuing a dog! I have such doggie problems. First, be patient, that's the best thing you can do. Indoors get him some belly bands ("pawty pants"). This is made by one of the volunteers with a rescue I volunteer with, and is basically a boy's diaper Works wonders.

Then you have to clean up, use Urine Gone (you can get it at Target).....or, it sounds as if you, like me, need the stuff by the gallon - therefore, get Nature's Miracle, it's the same exact stuff as Urine Gone and works!!!!!! And is much cheaper.

Once your dog's scent slowly disappears from within the house, he will get the point to go where his scent is which is outdoors. It also helps to take him for really long walks, the dogs CANNOT keep from urinating where he smells others' scents, as it is their mission in life to leave their scent over others'
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:46 AM   #20
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

You have my sympathy, I have been trying to respond to your post for days and everytime I sit down to the computer (or to my knitting for that matter) our new puppy (7mon old SPCA boxer mix) decides she needs attention.

When we got Daisy we were her 4th home and she had been on a leash 2x. Not only did we have to housebreak her, we also had to convince her it was okay to go on a leash. I went to the fabric store and bought webbing for $0.75 yard and basically made a lunge line so she could roam away from us and everytime she went outside on the leash and did her "potty" she got a high value reward (piece of hot dog, string cheese, or liver treat) and if she went in the house she got ignored.

It takes a lot of time, patience, and lost sleep, but they are so worth it Best of luck and keep up the good work.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote