Old 06-17-2007, 08:28 AM   #21
Doodknitwit
Working the Gusset

hopefully it will work...i'd try that too.

love your verse with your signature!!!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-17-2007, 08:42 AM   #22
Vendie
2nd Sock, I Rock

You're getting good advice, so I just want to add my "I feel your pain"...we adopted a dog who was given up b/c her previous owner didn't have time to train her and all that. And while I'm glad he finally realized this, his tactics of keeping her in her crate all the time backfired on him (and us). One of his complaints was that she could not get the whole potty thing. Turns out she had a bladder infection.

To get her on the right track once her infection was under control, we worked a schedule. After any naps, go outside. After eating, go outside. After play time, go outside. After being in the crate, go outside. And our other dog always went too. Confine her to her crate when we couldn't keep attention focused on her (over night, when we were out, etc.). She didn't really start getting it until we got her into obedience training. Same thing happened with our other dog - she never had an accident again after she went to obedience training.

The only problem with the dog now is that she can't go outside by herself. She lives with my mom now (long story involving our other dog), and she has to go out with my mom's older dog. And he's so slow getting to the door, that she just dances like crazy waiting for him. It's kinda cute actually, but it can be a bit of a pain, from what I hear.

Good luck with the new puppy!

It's only uphill until you get to the top of the hill

Vendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:14 PM   #23
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR
Hey all - Update
We are here on vacation. We had one accident the first morning that we were here, but nothing since then! Now we are working on getting them to like or at least tolerate each other. Yesterday Rose, our resident dog, went nutso on John and put him in his place. But, being a young male he keeps trying to push her buttons.

Luckily, the neighbors next to my inlaws here have a fenced in back yard that we were invited to use whenever. So they have gotten lots of exploration time. And we slept through the night last night, it was great. However, the hubby got pushed off the bed :rofling: We now have two dogs that don't have any concept of personal space.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #24
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Awesome!I know what you mean about the male dog "pushing her buttons".........Peanut (our latest rescue, the one on my avatar who LOVES to steal my knitting!) is our first boy in a long time and boy does he love to push the 3 girls' buttons.

Glad things are working out! The rescues may need a little extra attention due to the fact they have been either mistreated or owned by IDIOTS who didn't do the basic things in the beginning in order to potty train, etc..........which leaves it up to you the wonderful rescuer!

God bless you for rescuing............I say that to all of you who have rescued! Remember to pass along www.petfinder.com to everyone you know (especially in forums/chat rooms, etc.) because they can look up by zip code, breed, age, etc.

I work with several rescues, mostly in the webmaster capacity, but I see what horrible treatment some of these get.........or IDIOT puppy mill owners.

Here's one just this week.........this adorable 15-week old pure bred Yorkie was taken to the vet by a puppy mill operator to be put down MERELY because his left year is smaller than his right one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could just KILL him for operating a puppy mill! Imagine EUTHANIZING this adorable baby when there are tons of people out there that would love him and give him a good home!...........and we're not even a Yorkie rescue, we're a Lhasa Rescue! We're calling him "Lefty".
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0011.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	40762  
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:

Last edited by Arielluria : 06-18-2007 at 01:31 PM. Reason: mistyped
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:15 PM   #25
samm
Turning the Heel

arggghghhh!!! Putting down that beautiful baby for ear size? How stupid can it get! We adopted a purebred beagle years ago, whose owners had returned him to the breeder at three or four months of age because he had an overbite. They were only wanting him for a pet! And he became our adored funny pet. I couldn't figure out how they could have him in their home for a month or so and then return him!!!! But we were lucky because he found us. samm whose dogs and cats are all rescue animals and perfectly loveable!
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #26
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Both our beagles and one rabbit I found on Petfinder. I just it.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:38 PM   #27
Andrea
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via MSN to Andrea
Sounds like things are going well!!! Keep up the good work!

There's a beagle in the townhome behind me...so cute!

Yay rescues!!!

No chorus?
Houyhnhnms!
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:52 PM   #28
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

I guess we were doing too good because he went three times in the house today!!! We brought him to our old vet out here and had his anal glands expressed, as I suspected they were full. I hope this makes him more comfortable. So, we are going out for lunch, I hope they are good while we're gone, but I don't know anymore
Old 06-19-2007, 12:56 PM   #29
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Good work mom! I STILL keep the belly bands on my Peanut (see pg. 2 post), even if he doesn't mean to pee in the house, he often wants to, say, mark the curtains when he sees a squirrel outside the window........as if THAT'S going to do anything to the squirrel. LOL!

Really recommend you look into one of those belly bands, they are my lifesaver!!!!!!!

RE the anal glands, ask the vet to show you how it's done. A vet showed me 9 years ago when I got my first Shih Tzu mix. It's nice to be able to do it at any time too if they start to get nasty.
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:16 PM   #30
lynnlisiewski
Ribbing the Cuff

Poor Baby
just give him time he may be afraid of going back to the shelter or the other place he lived (maybe his lack of training resulted in punishments that stays with them for a while

when I got my puppy she was 4 1/2 months old and they said their 2 & 3 year olds were not taking care of the puppy (what a shock) then when I got the puppy home she was terrified she could not go out side she would not go out for a walk I would put her leash on and she would cry Then I would walk her around the block or should I say carry her around the block and I could not get her to go into the car for a Petco shopping spree she seemed terrified

Other than her fear of going outside she was perfect She is extremely affectionate and seemed to like us but the going outside stuff was weird even when I went with her I emailed the women that we got her from I then found out we were the 5th family to have her in 4 1/2 months, No wonder why she would not go outside she was afraid of moving again

Now, 3 months later she Loves going to Petco She goes for long walks we walk to get Coffee every night it is about 3 miles round trip She still likes to be carried some times when we walk ( makes a lot of people laugh at us ) but she now feels at home She is still a true lap dog and trusts us totally now

When she had her surgery she still wanted to walk because that is what we do Enjoy your pup we do !
lynnlisiewski is offline   Reply With Quote