Old 06-19-2007, 07:20 PM   #31
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR
Little brat just peed in front of me! I sat down to open this thread and he started to pee, so I grabbed him to bring him out and he wouldn't stop peeing!!! :rollseyes: So I let him finish in here instead of spraying pee all over the house!!! Reminds me of the dog in Bruce Almighty.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-19-2007, 07:28 PM   #32
flea
Ribbing the Cuff

Awww. Just remember, "It's only pee." Like a mantra.

When we got our Bodie from the shelter she was totally not housebroken. We instituted a strict, Go Outside Every 2 Hours policy that seemed to start her on the right track. Heck, the first week I took her out q1h since I was on break from school.

I know I came late to this thread so I'm not sure if I'm just repeating advice someone else has already given.
flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:35 PM   #33
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Thank you. I just like hearing that I'm not the only one with dog issues. I'm really hoping the next half of our vacation is better. We leave tomorrow morning for the UP (Michigan). Really relaxing and laid back. We are staying at my grandmother's house (who has passed away). We are in the basement so if he does have an accident it's not a huge biggie. My inlaws' house here is immaculate and every time he goes and just think in the back of my mind "this is it, they're going to kick us out"

Oh, I'll also get some pics up when we get back
Old 06-19-2007, 09:51 PM   #34
Arielluria
Instepping Out

With any puppy or untrained dog the #1 rule is take outside often, but ESPECIALLY (JIC no one has mentioned this yet) 1) immediately after waking up and 2) immediately after eating.

Before my Peanut (avatar) got his belly bands, I would keep him in the kitchen with a baby gate. Also consider crate training your pup, they are highly averse to soiling where they lay, so they then learn to hold it and if they hate the crate at first they eventually learn to LOVE it, it's like a little cave and very snuggly to them.

Originally Posted by flea View Post
Awww. Just remember, "It's only pee." Like a mantra.

When we got our Bodie from the shelter she was totally not housebroken. We instituted a strict, Go Outside Every 2 Hours policy that seemed to start her on the right track. Heck, the first week I took her out q1h since I was on break from school.

I know I came late to this thread so I'm not sure if I'm just repeating advice someone else has already given.
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:53 PM   #35
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Don't forget you are on vacation and even housetrained dogs have trouble figuring out WHICH door to whine at to let you know, etc.!
Thanks for being a loving and patient mom!

Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
Thank you. I just like hearing that I'm not the only one with dog issues. I'm really hoping the next half of our vacation is better. We leave tomorrow morning for the UP (Michigan). Really relaxing and laid back. We are staying at my grandmother's house (who has passed away). We are in the basement so if he does have an accident it's not a huge biggie. My inlaws' house here is immaculate and every time he goes and just think in the back of my mind "this is it, they're going to kick us out"

Oh, I'll also get some pics up when we get back

Old 06-20-2007, 11:37 AM   #36
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
Originally Posted by Arielluria View Post
Here's one just this week.........this adorable 15-week old pure bred Yorkie was taken to the vet by a puppy mill operator to be put down MERELY because his left year is smaller than his right one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Man, some people just really stink. I rescued my pup because of his wonky ear!

How can you not love it?

(not a great pic, but still...)

And yeah, whoever his previous owners were...somebody spent quite a bit of time walloping my guy. He was terrified of damn near everything for a long time. But, a year later and he's truly come into his own goofy self and spends all day playing with canine pals.

--->Clever Sayings Go Here<---

HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HamaLee For This Useful Post:
Arielluria (06-20-2007)
Old 06-20-2007, 11:39 AM   #37
Arielluria
Instepping Out

That is awesome! It does a rescue volunteer's heart good to feel that there ARE some decent loving people out there!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE dogs with "wonky" ears I think they are soooooo adorable!

Old 06-21-2007, 10:15 AM   #38
msoebel
Turning the Heel

Oh...this whole thread is making me anxious to move into a place that allows pets. We are looking around now.

We haven't rented a place that allowed pets in the almost 9 years that we have been married. And I'm a country girl...who always had 3 dogs, a cat or two, a hamster, some rabbits...and sometimes a few chickens or ducks.

You're going to be in the UP, huh? Well, I'm just a few hours south of you!

As for the original purpose of this thread...the big thing you have to remember is consistency. The poor guy has gone through a lot in the past year...and it sounds like very little of it remained consistent. If you show him that this is the way it is now, and this is they way it's still going to be tomorrow, he will get it. Eventually, he will get it. The spray bottle may work...it's so hard to tell with beagles. They are so...energetic and curious and they need LOTS of time to run and play.

Misty

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:52 PM   #39
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

I got some squirt guns to try the water spraying method. John Boy thought it was a great game and loves to be sprayed! He is the opposite of Rose in so many ways. She hates water, he loves it. She's relaxed, he's high strung. She's had the same toys for years, he's ripped them up in a day.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:09 PM   #40
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Here's John Boy!!!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	jb1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	41003  Click image for larger version

Name:	jb2.jpg