Old 06-15-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Your problem is that some of the instructions are written to BO at the beginnings of rows and some of the instructions are written to decrease at each end of rows. That means at BOTH ends. This is why one edge is remaining straight and the other is decreasing, and also why it took you an extra 8 rows of decreasing to get to 59sts in part 2 of your question. Make sure that you read the instructions very carefully, for each line of the pattern because there could be variances in what it's asking you to do, that in the end makes a HUGE difference.

Hope this helps.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-15-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
Carrie218
1st Leg of the Journey

Sleeve cap driving me nuts!!!!!
I've been working on the Interweave Gatsby Girl sweater for a month or so. You guys have already given me great guidance on the lace problem over here in this thread. But now I am down to the sleeve and here is my problem (with my comments and questions in italics)...

The following are the instructions for the shaping of the cap:
1. BO 10 sts at beg of next 2 rows, then 2 sts at beg of foll 2 rows - 75 sts rem. No problem there - marked with white pins.

2. Dec 1 st each end of needle on foll 8 rows - 59 sts rem. First problem. Those are the yellow pins and at that point, 67 sts rem. So I Decreased ANOTHER 8 rows to get to 59 sts, against stated instructions. That is where the orange pins are.

3. Dec 1 st at each end of needle on RS rows 13 times - 33 sts rem. This is the what remains above the orange pins and I have only knit 4 rows so far. While not seen well in the picture, what is beginning to happen is that the left-hand side (with the letter opener pointing to it), the cap is remaining straight while only the right side is still arcing inward. The Dec 1 on RS rows reads to me that I am only decreasing one side?

4. BO 4 sts at beg of next 2 rows, then 3 sts at beg of foll 2 rows - 19 sts. rem. BO all sts.

As you can see from the picture, I have already knit 4" of a cap but I theoretically still have to decrease another 14 rows but the entire cap is only supposed to be 6" in height. Running about 8 rows per inch, it might measure out right but I'm concerned about that straight side when the magazine's line diagram shows a complete arc.

And, BTW, there are no corrections on this pattern on the Interweave site.

Thanks for any insight! I'm sure it took me longer to put this whole question/thread together than it will be for someone to offer some brilliant insight...
Carrie218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:38 PM   #3
Ellieblue
Knitting the Flap

Hi, well, here we go:happydancing:on question 2 did you dec 1 st each end of the k and the p rows? that will take care of your extra 8 sts the nexty step is to dec 1 st at each end of rs rows then 1 st at the beginning of each row(1 on rs and one on p side) remember you will always be taking the same number of sts off each side. Hoope this helps Ellie
Ellieblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
Carrie218
1st Leg of the Journey

Still a bit confused - Ellie, at this point, since it is a tight rib, I don't differentiate between the k row and the p row and now re-reading it, I think KnitQueen is right -- I may have only decreased on the end.

So here is the follow-up question... I am going to rip out back to the white pins (77 sts): The phrase "dec at each end of needle" really means to decrease at the beginning of the row and at the end of the row - thereby really decreased 2 sts per row? But, in the case of Step 3, it is forcing me to decrease every-other row, on the RS? ~As opposed to the previous decreasing which occurred on both rows?~

Sorry to be so dense - I used to be a professional Tech Writer and feel these instructions are slightly confusing but this is all part of learning, huh?
Old 06-15-2007, 09:42 PM   #5
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Yes, in part 2 of your question you are decreasing at both ends of every row, for 8 rows. Then in part 3, you are decreasing still at both ends of the row, but only on right side rows which would be every other row.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:40 PM   #6
Carrie218
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you all! In a knitting frenzy, I finished both sleeves over the weekend and will be assembling today! Pictures soon...