Old 06-16-2007, 08:15 AM   #1
bobi1218
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to bobi1218
OT - DH was in a car accident!
DH went out after work yesterday with some friends. I was woken up at 1am by a phone call - he was rear-ended on the DC Beltway, and his car is probably totalled. There was traffic due to construction on the highway, and he had slowed down to about 25 mph. The girl behind him didn't, and rammed into the back of his car at about 70 mph. His car spun sideways, and she hit him again on the side. Luckily, both he and his friend were wearing seatbelts. They're both a bit sore, but otherwise unhurt. DH told me his glasses flew off his face on impact - without the seatbelt, he probably would have gone through the windshield.

So I bundled up 2 sleeping kids and strapped them into their car seats, and drove 20 minutes to go pick him up. We had to wait while the state trooper filled out a preliminary accident report, etc. That phone call was one of the worst of my life - my entire body just went numb. Its been over 2 hours now, and I'm just starting to stop shaking. We're really lucky, this could have been so much worse.

So I guess we'll find out in a couple of days whether they will fix his car, or total it. We can't really afford another car payment (DH's car is paid off), but there's a ton of damage. We'll see what happens, I guess.

bobi1218 on Ravelry
bobi1218 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-16-2007, 08:30 AM   #2
figaro
Working the Gusset

I could not imagine getting that phone call. I am happy that he is alright, sounds like he was very lucky.

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:31 AM   #3
redwitch
Working the Gusset

Glad he's okay and he wears his seatbelt. Everyone always remember to do the same please! I recently rolled a car 1.5 times landed on the roof going at 100 kph and walked away with just a minor scrape on my foot from it banging into the accelerator (I think). I really think that without the belt I might be dead and certainly quite badly, maybe permanently, hurt. 3 days later my friend's car tipped over into a ditch and she said if she hadn't had her belt on, who knows, she might have fallen through the open window and had the car land on top of her. Remember to put it on every time.
You must have been so scared. Sometimes I think it is worse to get that phone call than make it. Your hubby knew as soon as the car stopped moving - or 30 seconds later - that he was okay. You had to get the call and drive out there without seeing it for yourself that he was okay and until then it never sinks in. And dealing with taking the kids out there too...
Go have your drink of choice, be it tea, coffee, or Scotch. Read the replies tomorrow, if you are still online. Hope that the car can be fixed or even better, insurance buys you a new one!! The person who hit him: stupid cow. But hope she's okay.
Do whatever you need to relax (a bit).

P.S. the fact that you have come and posted to your online knitting friends about it shows you are already returning to normal.

P.P.S. what's a Beltway anyone? How is it different from a motorway/ 'highway'?
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:35 AM   #4
Doodknitwit
Working the Gusset

oh my!! thank God!! they are safe!!! how's the girl who hit them??
I pray for you all and am grateful as you are.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
HamburgKnitter
Knitting the Flap

Wow, your poor husband! Poor you! It could have been so much worse, he was lucky indeed.

Redwitch, a Beltway is actually a highway/freeway, but it's one that goes around a city so commuters can avoid inner-city traffic. Here we would call it simply a "ring".

Still trying to convince Henry the cat that knitting is a spectator sport!
HamburgKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:02 AM   #6
AnreeAce
Grafting the Toe

Robyn!

How scary for you! I'm glad your DH is OK.

I believe in a life of Virtuous Sloth, but it sounds so much better in Latin: otium cum dignitate, leisure with dignity.
AnreeAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:05 AM   #7
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
I'm glad your DH wasn't hurt.
Ronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:37 AM   #8
quiltbugj
1st Leg of the Journey

P.P.S. what's a Beltway anyone? How is it different from a motorway/ 'highway'?[/quote]

The Beltway is the highway that forms a "belt" around the DC metro area. You're either "inside" or "outside" the beltway. "inside" is usually more expensive. Our commutes here are horrible and if you're inside the beltway you usually have an easier commute into the District (DC)

PS - Glad your hubby is ok.
quiltbugj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:03 AM   #9
ADAllen
Turning the Heel

I'm glad they are alright. That's a horrible way to be woken up.

ADAllen
The Kniterati
ADAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:07 AM   #10
baronreads
Knitting the Flap

So glad he is OK and could make the phone call himself! I always wear my seatbelt, but trying to explain to teenagers the importance is FRUSTRATING! My DS won't put it on if he's in the back seat without my nagging. It scares me to think about what could happen if he was with a teen driver and in the back seat without his belt and something happened! Hopefully your heartrate is back to normal this morning! Hang in there!

baronreads is offline   Reply With Quote