Old 06-16-2007, 10:35 AM   #1
baronreads
Knitting the Flap

Dogs, should I get one?
My friend called me last night - she has 2 dogs that don't get along. They got along when she first got the 2nd dog, but after awhile one would terrorize the other. So she sent one to live with her mom in Florida for a few months and now the dog is back. And within 2 hours the dogs were going at it again!! I had told her that if they didn't get along to call me and maybe we'd take one! And she called last night! AM I CRAZY?!

DH says it's up to me. He wouldn't CHOOSE to get another dog, but he didn't want one the first time either. It's been more than 5 years since we've had a dog. We've always said it would tie us down too much. But we're traveling overnight less with baseball this year and my 6 yo really wants a dog. He loves it when we dog sit for my bro's dog. I really don't have a STRONG preference either way. It seems that the timing is OK and the dogs are trained. They are small dogs (I'm not even sure what breed, I can't remember!).

I'm thinking we'll go over there later today and see which one would work for us. She won't make a decision as to which one she wants to give away. She actually said we could try them both out separately if we wanted to. I feel so bad for her! I hope that's not affecting my decision. I guess I just didn't think she'd call, so I wasn't prepared. Anyways, any thoughts??

baronreads is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-16-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
robynbird
Turning the Heel

Wow! Dogs are a huge commitment...which you know since you've had them in the past. If you think you might want one of them, try them out and see how they do with your family. I think smaller dogs are a little easier...more mobile to travel with the family than large dogs. Anyway, good luck to you!

Mom to Missy & Zach & Baby Girl due in December
Wife to Gene

robynbird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robynbird For This Useful Post:
baronreads (06-16-2007)
Old 06-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #3
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

I say go for it as long as your hubby is willing to help with the work and you can afford the vet bills, food, and toys. We have 2 dogs and while they can drive me nuts sometimes I miss them so much when they're not here.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vaknitter For This Useful Post:
baronreads (06-16-2007)
Old 06-16-2007, 11:23 AM   #4
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Why don't you offer a trial basis...say two-weeks. See if your friend agrees to this. You have to make sure that everyone's personalities mesh. Such is not always the case even with dogs. I know because I've been there.

If you decide, after only the first week, that you know you want to keep the dog, you can let your friend know it's permanent and ease some of the stress of not knowing.

Good luck. In the end, if you've kept the dog, you will have prevented the dog a possible trip to the humane society, thus saving the dog.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to auburnchick For This Useful Post:
baronreads (06-16-2007)
Old 06-16-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
geekgolightly
Turning the Heel

It's getting easier and easier to travel with dogs if you're driving. Hotels are becoming very accommodating and there are books you can buy that have dog attractions across the country.

Hugs to you for considering taking on a dog that needs a home. Do the try-out! See how happy you are with one of them and see how well your son does. If he loses interest and you aren't happy with the idea of caring for another being, then don't fret about not taking it on, but you might surprise yourself and get gushy over the munchkin.
The Following User Says Thank You to geekgolightly For This Useful Post:
baronreads (06-16-2007)
Old 06-16-2007, 12:29 PM   #6
jjminarcik
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by auburnchick View Post
In the end, if you've kept the dog, you will have prevented the dog a possible trip to the humane society, thus saving the dog.
My thoughts exactly!

Dogs are a huge commitment, but they can enrich your lives so much. Most likely the dog will become a member of the family and not just a pet.

OTN: Socks, socks, socks
My first sweater

jjminarcik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jjminarcik For This Useful Post:
baronreads (06-16-2007)
Old 06-16-2007, 12:30 PM   #7
zazzu
1st Leg of the Journey

Quote:
Anyways, any thoughts??
You're very kind to consider giving an unwanted dog a home.

That said, I would recommend that you not do it. You're not doing it because you're compelled to have a dog. You're doing it because you feel obligated. (That's what it sounds like from here).

Dog ownership is a lot of work. More than I ever thought it would be. I absolutely adore my dog, and I'm committed to her for as long as she lives. This is my last dog, though.

I know you've had experience owning a dog before, so I'm sure you'll do what's right for you.
zazzu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zazzu For This Useful Post:
baronreads (06-16-2007)
Old 06-16-2007, 12:36 PM   #8
puppyluv
Ribbing the Cuff

As an owner of 3 dogs, all small, I have a few opinions! :grin:

I had a situation arise very similar to yours! I had two dogs, and a friend (with a dog whom I loved!) said they needed to give her up; she was terrorizing the cats.

I thought about it long and hard. I decided to adopt her.
It seemed to be a mistake at first; one of my dogs didn't seem to like her. She spent a LOT of time just wandering around the house whining!

The whining, pacing, etc. went on this way for at least 2 weeks, I wondered if I'd have to give her up myself (although never seriously considered it, I was so attached to her at that point).

That was in February. She is still a bit of a whiner, but she is now comfortable here, and my dogs have adjusted. It took months for her to truly make our home HER home.

What I am trying to say, is that a trial period isn't always indicative of how the dog will do in your home. It is a smart idea, don't get me wrong. But ESPECIALLY when a dog is used to one home, then goes somewhere else, there are extra adjustments to be done. I think just due to all the changes, and fear of abandonment, and getting used to new people, and missing your "old" people. But dogs are very adaptable.

I think the best thing would be for your friend to visit your home with the dog, and let the dog get to know you, but NOT stay.
Then an overnight visit, to allow more time together, and finally a nice big trial period.

I am probably more cautious than most people, but I have seen dogs who've developed behavior problems due to abrupt changes in their lives. So I am all about giving them the best chance at a happy life.

I don't know if my suggestions are feasible for you, but good luck with whatever you decide to do!
And remember you to expect setbacks, they are normal with big changes like this.
puppyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puppyluv For This Useful Post:
baronreads (06-16-2007)
Old 06-17-2007, 11:35 AM   #9
AnaK
1st Leg of the Journey

I agree with Puppyluv. It needs to be done gradualy.
I know from our dog that when we leave her to friends house while on vacation that it takes her 2-3 days to get adjusted and eat and play as usual.
And those are the people she has known since she was puppy and is very happy when they visit.
Also some dog breeds are just not good with children so I would consider that too.
AnaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:57 PM   #10
JoeE
1st Leg of the Journey

I say go for it. I was dead set against getting a dog when we got our 7-1/2 years ago, now I love her above all other creatures. I can't imagine life without a furry companion. On the other hand, my son is grown and on his own (pretty much), so I don't have a kid to keep track of.

I'm a bigger dog enabler than I am a yarn, knitting needles, notions, etc., enabler.

Joe