Old 06-18-2007, 02:59 AM   #31
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

SAHM?
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-18-2007, 03:04 AM   #32
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Susan P. View Post
SAHM?
SAHM=staying at home mom
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:23 AM   #33
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Ahh..the life of the acronym.. thanks :-)
Old 06-18-2007, 04:25 AM   #34
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

And I have issue..well..not negatively as such..with the term "feminism"..so..that would be an interesting philosophical issue also. It wouldn't be my word of choice..I'd have "choicism" or similar :-)
Old 06-18-2007, 04:32 AM   #35
Quiltlady
Working the Gusset

I missed it
I never saw the thread but if fighting began then maybe we do NOT need an OT forum afterall.
Quiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:04 AM   #36
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Susan P. View Post
And I have issue..well..not negatively as such..with the term "feminism"..so..that would be an interesting philosophical issue also. It wouldn't be my word of choice..I'd have "choicism" or similar :-)
Well, maybe i used a controversial term too... For "feminism" is many things. I think the belief that feminists are bitter women who can't find a man and never shave their legs is a bit old-fashioned I don't mean that you meant that... Now i've gone cross-eyed And yes, it's about choices in life, but i think it definitely relates to the issue of women rights and status... I will stop here and restrain myself :rofling:
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:11 AM   #37
mulene
Working the Gusset

This world is filled with lots of different people, colours, religious beliefs, scientific beliefs, sexual beliefs and preferences, talents and intelligence, disabled and abled, chronically ill, dying and newborns.

Without all these things the world would be a very dull place. I am reminded of a line in a cheesy movie but it is a good line.

Morgan Freeman in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves responds to a little girl when asked why god painted him black something along the lines of "because Allah loves all colours of the rainbow and the world would be a very dull place if he did not"

That sentiment lives with me. Without all the colours of the rainbow and all the wonderful different cultures this world has (extreme and not) it would be a very dull place. I often think of Star Trek The Next Generation and think the world would really be dull if it were like that - everyone in the world agreeing on everything, no one bucking trends or rebelling and discovering new things.

The biggest thing that needs to be learned in this world is tolerance. It would serve many well to consider that word when posting on a forum, specifically this forum, when dealing with some truly wonderful people here who have one thing in common. We all love to knit. Without the various cultures and differences between us all, there would be a lack of creative patterns coming through from the people who post here.

I know Femi wanted a rainbow pattern - I was going to look something out for her because years ago before my brother came out to the rest of the family, he used to wear a very very long Dr Who like scarf that was completely rainbow blocked. It was fabulous and hand knitted. It was used as a scarf, as a blanket type thing when snuggling on the sofa, as a long tear wiper when we all would go to the movies and see a tear jerker movie (it would run the length of the row and 10 of us would wipe our eyes with it). Best of all it was used as a big cuddly arm to go around me when I was feeling blue or lonely or forgotten about.

I come from a catholic family and something learned along the way is to accept people as they are and embrace their differences.

I didn't get to see what was said, I meant to go back to the thread but then it was too late.

I thank the mods for stopping a potential nasty situation, and hope that anyone who was deeply opinionated and passionate on the matter is able to contain that passion, and remember we are all woven together in the world of knitting.

Think of us like a Noro scarf where the colours meld together and intertwine to make something beautiful.

My First Finished Project in 20 years!: Sirdar Foxy Scarf!

mulene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to mulene For This Useful Post:
Angelia (06-19-2007), annomalley (06-19-2007), BinkyKat (06-18-2007), Braden (06-18-2007), BrookMctirre (06-19-2007), carmabelle1191 (06-18-2007), Chel (06-18-2007), debinoz (06-18-2007), GinnyG (06-18-2007), Ingrid (06-18-2007), Jeremy (06-18-2007), mintdee (06-18-2007), momwolf (06-18-2007), puppyluv (06-18-2007), RuthK (06-19-2007), wildforyarn (06-23-2007)
Old 06-18-2007, 06:34 AM   #38
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

KnittingNat.. I had to share a laugh with you when I read your post. Personism..now THAT's! a term *grin*
Old 06-18-2007, 06:36 AM   #39
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

mulene...An element of your post reminded me of the 'show don't tell' concept. You never know, a post showing such a scarf and asking if those willing to support a 'day' would wear something similar that 'day' may have transpired differently..or..maybe not

Don't have me rolling around laughing with KnittingNat as my knees canna do it :-)
Old 06-18-2007, 06:43 AM   #40
sig
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to sig
Originally Posted by mulene View Post
This world is filled with lots of different people, colours, religious beliefs, scientific beliefs, sexual beliefs and preferences, talents and intelligence, disabled and abled, chronically ill, dying and newborns.

Without all these things the world would be a very dull place. I am reminded of a line in a cheesy movie but it is a good line.

Morgan Freeman in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves responds to a little girl when asked why god painted him black something along the lines of "because Allah loves all colours of the rainbow and the world would be a very dull place if he did not"

That sentiment lives with me. Without all the colours of the rainbow and all the wonderful different cultures this world has (extreme and not) it would be a very dull place. I often think of Star Trek The Next Generation and think the world would really be dull if it were like that - everyone in the world agreeing on everything, no one bucking trends or rebelling and discovering new things.

The biggest thing that needs to be learned in this world is tolerance. It would serve many well to consider that word when posting on a forum, specifically this forum, when dealing with some truly wonderful people here who have one thing in common. We all love to knit. Without the various cultures and differences between us all, there would be a lack of creative patterns coming through from the people who post here.

I know Femi wanted a rainbow pattern - I was going to look something out for her because years ago before my brother came out to the rest of the family, he used to wear a very very long Dr Who like scarf that was completely rainbow blocked. It was fabulous and hand knitted. It was used as a scarf, as a blanket type thing when snuggling on the sofa, as a long tear wiper when we all would go to the movies and see a tear jerker movie (it would run the length of the row and 10 of us would wipe our eyes with it). Best of all it was used as a big cuddly arm to go around me when I was feeling blue or lonely or forgotten about.

I come from a catholic family and something learned along the way is to accept people as they are and embrace their differences.

I didn't get to see what was said, I meant to go back to the thread but then it was too late.

I thank the mods for stopping a potential nasty situation, and hope that anyone who was deeply opinionated and passionate on the matter is able to contain that passion, and remember we are all woven together in the world of knitting.

Think of us like a Noro scarf where the colours meld together and intertwine to make something beautiful.

Totally agree!