Old 06-18-2007, 07:21 AM   #41
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Susan P. View Post
KnittingNat.. I had to share a laugh with you when I read your post. Personism..now THAT's! a term *grin*
Good one :rofling:
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-18-2007, 08:21 AM   #42
mum2caden
1st Leg of the Journey

That's sad. It's just a thread asking for patterns and people have to turn it into an argument.

If you are so opposed to the topic, don't post. Live and let live- a person can't help who they are, and getting nasty about it helps no one.
mum2caden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:57 AM   #43
msoebel
Turning the Heel

I didn't see the thread.

Personally, for religious reasons, I would not be able to support "Gay Day", but I cannot imagine going on a knitting forum (when someone was simply sending everyone well wishes and asking for patterns) and saying anything unkind or negative. For religious reasons, I choose not to celebrate the solstices...but I wouldn't get up in arms if someone wished me a happy one.

Participants of this forum really should act like grown ups and realize that not everyone believes the same, and that it is okay to disagree WITHOUT becoming ugly to each other.

If we choose to act as children who cannot communicate respectfully to each other, then the moderators have a right to treat us as children and censor us.

Misty

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:02 AM   #44
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
Originally Posted by KnittingNat View Post
IMHO... sometimes for the benefit of others we should restrain ourselves. What do i mean by that? We all have different views here and different opinions. When i post "Happy Shavuoth" thread - i do not expect to get antisemitic responses. I want to wish everyone a happy holiday, even if it's not related to their religion and beliefs. So when a "Happy Gay Day" thread is posted, i think we should be positive about it. If you don't aprove this lifestyle - don't respond so the thread won't get ugly.
I completly agree. Its like we learn as kids: "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". Its so basic but maybe we should practice that more.
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:15 AM   #45
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
I did not see the thread after it got ugly, but I really hope my post was not one that started the ball rolling--I definitely didn't intend it that way. I expressed happiness for the day and recent legal rulings in my state, but I did also express some frustration about the argument on the other side of the ruling. I imagine I could have phrased things differently.

I saw a few posts after that, and they were sensitive and very respectful in their disagreement. I didn't respond any further, but at that point all I saw was people in disagreement who were very respectful in agreeing to disagree. Apparently things deteriorated...

I do wish that, as mentioned upthread, the thread had been locked with an explanation for a time before being deleted. I would have liked to see for myself what happened instead of the thread just disappearing (especially since I was part of the conversation). I even would have preferred for it to be called deleted or whatever instead of "moved" to this mysterious location none of us can access.

I do believe that it got ugly, but I didn't see it...so now I'm all worried that it didn't and mods jumped the gun, or let their own views dictate the thread, etc etc, conspiracy theories. I do NOT believe this is what happened, really! I trust the mods and love this site...I'm just saying I have a wild imagination, especially in that "what if..." area.

I am sad that things happened this way, since there have been many OT and rather controversial topics on these boards that have been...perhaps tense at times...but overall very respectful and useful. (Someone else upthread also mentioned these.) I just hate to think that certain controversial OT threads are "ok" and others "not" based on some criteria not made public to the rest of us...

I'm sort of whinging now and getting off-topic myself. I really really do believe the mods did what they thought was best and fair, I like this place and I like having something in common with so many people that I know have very different fundamental views from me. I would hate to feel like I needed to leave KH...what a bummer.

I'm babbling now, but I hope things continue smoothly!

--->Clever Sayings Go Here<---

HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HamaLee For This Useful Post:
brendajos (06-18-2007), geekgolightly (06-18-2007)
Old 06-18-2007, 11:44 AM   #46
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Happy Pride Month, Femmy!!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:55 AM   #47
Inis
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by ekgheiy View Post
Had to be the "c" word. That'd pull 10 on MY fire-meter.
Hey now!

I didn't see it either. Although it's unfortunate that certain topics on message boards deteriorate as they do, I find it educational to see every view - including hateful ones - on hot button issues. It's useful to know how far humankind has, and HASN'T come.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:15 PM   #48
Silver
Instepping Out

I didn't see the so-called bad posts either, so I'm not going to comment on why the topic was pulled. Although I will take this opportunity to wish Femmy any anyone else a Happy Gay Day too, since I missed my chance earlier.

I think one pulled topic in a blue moon is a fantastic ratio for a wildly popular public forum such as KH. If any of you have visited other forums with any regularity, you know how rare KH truly is. It just goes to show how civil, smart, and considerate KHers really are!!

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:
snephenie (06-20-2007)
Old 06-18-2007, 12:25 PM   #49
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
HamaLee, your post was the first "dissenting opinion", but I didn't find it combative. I think things must have gone downhill afterward.

The mods here are not the type to jump the gun. I don't think they would have taken it down if they didn't think it was getting out of hand.

I think everyone needs to realize that this board is supposed to be here for everyone to participate. We're not here for confrontation. There was nothing in Feministmama's post that was "in-your-face" or offensive, she was celebrating her own life. It is unfortunate that others chose to use her happy occasion to be nasty.

Next time, I hope everyone takes a deep breath before posting and asks themselves whether they will be hurting others unnecessarily before they hit the reply button.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #50
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
Next time, I hope everyone takes a deep breath before posting and asks themselves whether they will be hurting others unnecessarily before they hit the reply button.
In total agreement!

My post was actually in agreement and support of Femmy, not dissenting. But I did take the moment to disagree with people on the other side of the fence, and I suppose I could have just left it at my support of Pride. I didn't mean to instigate others who disagreed with Pride.

But also, Silver, you're totally right about the frequency of this kind of thing ocurring on KH compared to other sites. (Which, of course, is why I love KH so much).

--->Clever Sayings Go Here<---

HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote