Old 05-14-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
newamy
Working the Gusset

Fliker vs Photobucket
I want to set up an online photo account so as to easily share photos of my firend's wedding this past weekend.
Which do you all like better Fliker or Photobucket? Or is there another service also available that I should consider?

Thanks.

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-14-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
I like Photobucket. No special reason.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:06 PM   #3
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
I am a fan of photobucket. my geeky republican (every good liberal should have a republican) tells me i am out of my mind and that Flickr is far superior. I have an account there but i don't see anything there that would sway me from photobucket.

at this point the only thing i can see that would make me at least start using the flickr account is that ravelry program not being compatible to photobucket. but since i don't have an account on ravelry yet i will stay where i am.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:17 PM   #4
Joel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Joel Send a message via MSN to Joel Send a message via Yahoo to Joel
Re: Fliker vs Photobucket
Originally Posted by newamy
I want to set up an online photo account so as to easily share photos of my firend's wedding this past weekend.
Which do you all like better Flickr or Photobucket?
I personally use Photobucket (I didnt know about Flickr when I set it up) but in all honesty the answer should be which ever is:

a) more suited to your personal taste
b) works for you.

Originally Posted by newamy
Or is there another service also available that I should consider?
There are lots of services out there. Just go to Google and type in Photo Sharing and watch what comes up.

My suggestion: Take the promo tour of Flickr, Photobucket, and maybe Dropshots (another free service) and see which one you like the best and go with it.

~~Joelybean Schmoley Louise Schmoopypoo Mumpkins Gonzo Cupcake Muffin Sugarplum Sleepyman
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #5
marykz
Working the Gusset

I like Flickr, but, for no special reason.... it was just the first one I came across when I wanted to start sharing.

I'm sure if I upgraded to a paid account I might worry more about the details, but it seems to me all the free ones do mostly the same things.

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:00 PM   #6
simplethings
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to simplethings
I'm a huge fan of Flickr.

It's been a few years (maybe 4) since I've used photobucket, but, from my experiences it was very unreliable. I'd often get errors and my bandwidth would run out too fast and my pictures would end up being blocked. At the time I was using it the website was FULL of ads and I remember the layout being very not-so-aesthetically pleasing. I'd imagine things have changed since then.

I was introduced to Flickr by a photographer friend. My first impression was that everything was clean and easy to navigate. While I still had upload limitations my pictures never turned into the "excessive bandwidth usage" image. I found Flickr to be very community oriented with a wide range of users. From point-and-shooters to professional photographers. I've since upgraded to a pro account ($24.95/year).

Flickr does a great job of resizing your photos. I remember photobucket would really change the quality of the images I would upload. Flickr keeps your pictures as clean as they are originally.
In Flickr, choosing the "medium" size is the perfect height and width for posting pictures on the knittinghelp.com forums (the longest edge will be 500 pixels).
It's easy to print out pictures through Flickr (I just had a bunch of mine printed and they turned out awesome). There are other options as well, you can easily make calendars, posters, or books of your pictures (I've already made 3 books! Imagine a whole book of your FO's!). You can even turn them into postage stamps.

There are great systems for tagging and organizing your photos and there are four levels of viewing 'privacy'. Flickr allows other members to comment on your photos as well as letting you see how "popular" your picture is based on how many views your image gets, how many comments, how many people add your image as a favorite... there's also an interesting-ness formula... not too sure how it works but it's cool.

Can you tell how much I love flickr? =)

More?

Okay. There's a nifty little tool called 'notes'. It lets you put ... well, notes on your image. Instead of adding a caption that says "Malabrigo. From left to right: solymar, pink frost, velvet grapes" You can actually put little 'invisible' boxes on your image.. so people can just mouse-over a certain cake of yarn and a little text block will pop up and say "amber gold"... I think this might only work with other flickr users, though.

I think that's enough for now! If anyone wants more reasons to use flickr just send me a message.

and i blog about it too: http://cashmereblend.blogspot.com

check me out on ravelry.com:
http://www.ravelry.com/people/simplethings
simplethings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:24 PM   #7
Orangeus
1st Leg of the Journey

I've used Photobucket for a long time, and never had any trouble with it, but it was a real pain to have to resize every single file I uploaded just about.

I just recently made an account with Flicker, with apprehension because I loathe Yahoo deeply. but I am surprised and happy. The 'different sizes' feature is really quite handy.

If you don't often have pictures larger than 500x500, then you don't need that feature, but the photos off my camera are on the largish size which are most of what I upload. Also, the little Flicker program that you can download also comes in use, since it lets you simply right click - send to Flicker. I've also found it to upload quicker that way, than if you try and do it in broswer. PhotoBucket might have a similar program, but I do not know.

Given the fact that both are free, why not make an account with both? The worst thing that might happen is I believe you have to make a Yahoo Email address with Flicker, but no one says you have to activate it, or use it. I've never used mine (Gmail >>> Everything else). As for the ads on Photobucket... they are really bad about this, but I've got an Ad-blocker program on Firefox, so I don't have to see any of them.
Orangeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:27 PM   #8
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
Originally Posted by brendajos
at this point the only thing i can see that would make me at least start using the flickr account is that ravelry program not being compatible to photobucket. but since i don't have an account on ravelry yet i will stay where i am.
Really? That's weird. Photobucket is WAY more popular than Flickr or other services.

I have a Flickr, it does what I need it to do. I've never tried Photobucket.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:32 PM   #9
Julie
Instepping Out

I use them both, for different things.

The Flickr terms of use require that when you post your photos elsewhere (like on your blog) they must link back to the Flickr photo page. So for things like site graphics or buttons that need to link to other pages, I use Photobucket. But I do luuuurve Flickr -- the notes feature is awesome! I find it to be less cumbersome than Photobucket to deal with in general. The interface is cleaner, and I just like the look of it better. :D
Old 05-14-2007, 01:44 PM   #10
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
Originally Posted by cawthraven
Originally Posted by brendajos
Really? That's weird. Photobucket is WAY more popular than Flickr or other services.

I have a Flickr, it does what I need it to do. I've never tried Photobucket.

well i don't know that to be true, i was just reading their FAQs and it only mentioned Flickr not PB.