Old 06-19-2007, 03:53 AM   #1
Nichan
Ribbing the Cuff

Treatment for finished projects...Any suggestion?
Hi,
i have some finished project, bags, hats, mittens, and coming more...

i want to use them more often but i don't know how to treat them when they got dirty...yes, some instruction is in the yarn but i also need some suggestion from expert...
also, i'm afraid if i put them in the machine, it will turn out to be felting...aaaggghhhhh...i, now, even worry that even if i just wash it with hand, it can be felted, too, if i soak it too long...

i also afraid that my bind of (or first knot of cast) is unruffled when i wash them...well, because they all are hand-made...

last time i wash one of them, is using hand (not machine)...in my current living place, the sunlight is very rare...even the company provide drying machine in each house to dry our laundry...
what am i supposed to do?any suggestion? can i keep using drying machine?

please share...any...any treatment you have experienced...
Nichan is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-19-2007, 07:58 AM   #2
redwitch
Working the Gusset

Usually if the wool label says machinewashable you will be safe on cold setting. But I do them all by hand anyway. Just in case, and less fuzzing/pilling etc.
If you tied a proper knot it should not undo especially if you wove the ends in, but for peace of mind, you could invisibly hand-sew with thin cotton on the inside, to keep the knots secure.

Soaking will NOT felt your items, they can get wet no problem. What may felt them is agitation (if you rub it a lot), soap (in combination with other things), and heat/heat changes. So if your knitting is sopping wet in cold water... no problem. But if you put it suddenly into hot water, then into ice-cold water... it may felt, with no agitation necessary - just the temperature shock will do it.

After you have rinsed your items, squeeze out as much water as you can (don't twist or stretch them, just squeeze). Then get a dry towel on the floor. Put your item in it. Put another towel on top. Now roll the two towels up and walk/stand on them. Again do not twist, just put your weight on them. Do this with another dry towel if you want to, to get out a bit more water. It will be just damp now. Set out somewhere where there is a lot of dry air moving around, you don't need sun. By an open window will be good, or in your hot water cupboard (where your hot water cylinder is). Also put it on something like plastic because if it is on top of something that can absorb water (like carpet, a towel, blanket, or couch) they will take longer to dry. And after it FEELS dry to you, leave it longer, because the inside of the strand needs to dry out too, all the way.
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:07 AM   #3
redwitch
Working the Gusset

To wash, run some water about the same temperature as the room, about lukewarm or slightly warm: don't worry about this too much, as long as it is not freezing cold or really hot it will be fine. Mix a bit of adult human shampoo in (this is perfect for wool as it is a bit acidic, normal soap is alkaline and will make the scales stand up and go rough, promote felting. Shampoo's acidity makes the fibres lay down nice and smooth). Put your knitting in, squeeze it to get the water all the way through, push it under water and squeeze the air out. Leave it under water for a while. Rinse it with water that is about the same temperature as the water in the knitting (very important!!). Don't swish it too much or scrub it, just squeeze water through. You might have to do this more than once to get the soap out (that's why you only need a little bit at the start). Do not hold the knitting under running water, just run a basin and then submerge the knitting.

Remember that sudden temperature changes or lots of scrubbing it or swirling it around may make it felted or more fuzzy. For most things this will be fine as they don't get filthy and stained, they just need to be washed occasionally because they are worn on skin: they need hardly more than a rinse.

Don't use the dryer unless the wool label says something can go in the dryer! Even then you might want to be careful.
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redwitch For This Useful Post:
KnittingNat (06-21-2007)
Old 06-21-2007, 03:14 AM   #4
Nichan
Ribbing the Cuff

thanks
it really helps
Nichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:05 PM   #5
UnspeakableJoy
1st Leg of the Journey