Old 06-21-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
Ravennwings
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Ravennwings
Someone's probably already asked this, but...
I haven't been here in a while, so I dunno.

Where is a good place to buy discount yarns? I'm not worried about needles; I can easily make those myself. But I really don't have a lot of money at ALL, as I only work 2 days/week. So I need somewhere very inexpensive. It doesn't have to be fancy, just decent. As it stands, I've only got 3 or 4 skeins to my name. I am so ashamed!
I'm looking for somewhere either on line or in Baltimore.

And what are some good yarns to buy? There's so much to choose from, no matter WHERE you buy from!

OTN- Fluffy stuffed kitty!
Ravennwings is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-21-2007, 08:35 AM   #2
dakatzmeow
Turning the Heel

i really love knitpicks. i know others have had luck with ebay. you can also try elann.

bigto you. i remember being a student and lusting after yarn.

married my beloved january 9, 2008!!!!! <3
dakatzmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
ironmaiden
Knitting the Flap

In a pinch I like Caron Simply Soft - it's acrylic, but very soft and I just bought some on sale at AC Moore a few days ago for $1.99 - you can't really beat that. The regular price isn't much higher, maybe $2.49.

I think some Walmart stores even carry it.

You can find some nice things in clearance at the craft stores sometimes too, if you are willing to dig.
ironmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:44 AM   #4
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
http://smileysyarns.com/
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
Ravennwings
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Ravennwings
The problem with SmileysYarns is that they've got a min. delivery requirement of $40.

OTN- Fluffy stuffed kitty!
Ravennwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
cftwo
Working the Gusset

WalMart carries some decent yarns and some really crappy yarns, but you can find some good deals there. I can find Lion Brand yarn, which is good, and Patons, which is slightly better, at Michaels. KnitPicks has great prices. http://yarn.com has good deals on yarns, too - if you happen to like a discontinued color, you can get yarn for incredible prices there. I learned about Little Knits (http://www.littleknits.com) here on KH. They have some good sales that you can watch, too.

As for which yarns are good yarns to buy - it all depends on what you're making. You can use just about anything for scarves - different yarns give you different looks, and they're a great way to experiment with different yarns. You can get Sugar 'n Cream cotton yarn at WalMart or Michaels and that's good for dishclothes. I like the Lion Brand Wool Ease for afghans, since you can machine wash it if you need to.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:14 AM   #7
Yarn Doc
Knitting the Flap

I really like The Sheeps Shed Studio in Wyoming for Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece. They don't have a huge color selection, but if you check often enough, you'll get good finds. I also like their Brown Sheep Wildfoote sock yarn. Look under Carol's Super Specials and scroll down. http://www.thesheepshedstudio.com/ca...rspecials.html

I love Knit Picks, and scour ebay like it's my business. I personally do NOT like Little Knits - I've ordered from them a few times, and I've never ever had a positive experience with them. But their prices are good.
Yarn Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:53 AM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
WalMart also carries Simply Soft at about $2.09 regular price. This site - http://www.discountyarnsale.com/cat_by.cfm - has nice yarns by the bagful at a good price.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:00 AM   #9
lynnc
Casting On

I would do Knitpicks or cotton at Walmart or a craft store. Cotton lace is very pretty.
lynnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:02 AM   #10
LadyB
1st Leg of the Journey

You could also check out thrift stores (there can be some lovely surprises there) and dollar stores (I've seen some novelty yarns at one that are $5 in craft stores). You probably won't have a lot of choices at either place, but the price is right.
LadyB is offline   Reply With Quote