Old 06-19-2007, 02:44 AM   #1
BJD
Casting On

Joining circular knitting
How can I make the joining point look better? I remember reading about doing something at the beginning when you join with your first stitch that makes it look better. Any suggestions or techniques would be appreciated.
BJD is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-19-2007, 03:12 AM   #2
HamburgKnitter
Knitting the Flap

There's probably a better way, but what works for me (with my limited experience) is to use the tail of yarn to close up that little gap when I'm weaving in the ends. I know alot of people knit in the tail when they start a project, but I leave it to be weaved in for this reason when I'm knitting a circular project.

Still trying to convince Henry the cat that knitting is a spectator sport!
HamburgKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HamburgKnitter For This Useful Post:
BJD (06-20-2007)
Old 06-19-2007, 07:44 AM   #3
redwitch
Working the Gusset

That works, or you can knit the tail together for the first few stitches very tightly. Some people like to cast on an extra stitch and then k2to to close at first, but I find I still get a stretch this way. Here's what I have found gives the MOST perfect and invisible join:
Switch the first and last stitch in place. So the first caston stitch goes onto the needle beside the last stitch. Now use a crochet hook to pull that last stitch off its needle and onto the other needle, where the first stitch used to be before you moved it. They have now switched places. (Or you can move the last stitch to be next to the first, and then hook the first off onto the other needle, doesn't matter which) and knit the first few stitches tightly just to be sure.
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redwitch For This Useful Post:
BJD (06-20-2007)
Old 06-19-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
JoeE
1st Leg of the Journey

If you want to be *really* lazy, you can just ignore it. While I'm knitting the piece, I think that funny looking join is so obvious people can see it from space. But after I'm finished and I've worn the item a time or two, I don't notice it at all. I try to make it look as good as possible, but the tricks I've tried haven't given me results that I was any happier with in the long run.

But I'm weird...my knitting isn't something I obsess about too much. I knit because I enjoy knitting. I want it to look good, but if I get too fussy about little things, I won't enjoy it any more.

Joe
BJD (06-20-2007)
Old 06-19-2007, 01:37 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I usually join normally and knit the first row. Then on the second row if I need to I knit the tail in with a tug for a few stitches. When I'm done I weave in the tail and clean up that edge if necessary.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
BJD (06-20-2007)
Old 06-19-2007, 02:42 PM   #6
solvieg2000
Casting On

I don't know if this applies to knitting on circulars as well, but when knitting on dpn's, I have found it helpful to knit the first stitch onto the final needle of the circle. In other words, if you are knitting with five needles, before you start knitting the first round with the fifth needle, knit the very first stitch of the round with the fourth needle and leave it on the fourth needle as you continue knitting. This means there will be one more stitch on that fourth needle than on the other needle, and if counting stitches is important, just make sure to put a stitch marker there before knitting that very first stitch. This has given me surprisingly smooth and strong joins.
Sorry for the long post, good Lord!
solvi
solvieg2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solvieg2000 For This Useful Post:
BJD (06-20-2007)
Old 06-20-2007, 09:14 AM   #7
Luvmyrottnboy
Knitting the Flap

I cast on one extra stitch and then slip the first cast on to the right needle and pass the extra cast on stitch over it. It totally closes the join.

Sometimes, if I am using a seed or garter stitch border I will knit a few rows straight, join and sew up the teeny "seam". This works well if you have a hard time keeping the first row from twisting too.

Denise

Mom to the late Cyrus the Fluffweiler CGC forever in my heart and James the Alpha cat
Luvmyrottnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luvmyrottnboy For This Useful Post:
BJD (06-20-2007)
Old 06-20-2007, 05:43 PM   #8
BJD
Casting On

Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
That works, or you can knit the tail together for the first few stitches very tightly. Some people like to cast on an extra stitch and then k2to to close at first, but I find I still get a stretch this way. Here's what I have found gives the MOST perfect and invisible join:
Switch the first and last stitch in place. So the first caston stitch goes onto the needle beside the last stitch. Now use a crochet hook to pull that last stitch off its needle and onto the other needle, where the first stitch used to be before you moved it. They have now switched places. (Or you can move the last stitch to be next to the first, and then hook the first off onto the other needle, doesn't matter which) and knit the first few stitches tightly just to be sure.
I tried your suggestion of switching first and last stitch and it is so easy and looks so good. Thanks a bunch.
BJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:10 PM   #9
UnspeakableJoy
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by JoeE View Post
If you want to be *really* lazy, you can just ignore it. While I'm knitting the piece, I think that funny looking join is so obvious people can see it from space.
I'm so happy I'm not the only one that feels that way!

OTN: Feather-and-fan comfort shawl
UnspeakableJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UnspeakableJoy For This Useful Post:
BJD (06-21-2007)