Old 06-21-2007, 11:01 PM   #1
knitwit88
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to knitwit88
Yoga... Ohm!
I really want to try doing some yoga. I dont have anywhere to learn it. Can anyone reccomend some books/websites/etc. that might teach me yoga? Thanks Y'all!

Cassidy

Why must these bloobies be so cute... :D
knitwit88 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-21-2007, 11:18 PM   #2
ADAllen
Turning the Heel

I do a 20 minute yoga routine every morning that I absolutely LOVE. It is a podcast that you can download from iTunes or at Yogamazing. I think it is great for beginners. Chaz (the guy who does the podcast) is cheesy, but I really like him. He creates a new podcast every week with different focuses. Examples of some of my favorites are: Yoga for Headaches, Yoga for Abs, Yoga for Depression, Yoga for Dancers, and Yoga for Fat Burning. I like that it is only once a week because it gives me a chance to really work on the asanas and do my best before changing it up. I download it to my iPod and then plug my iPod into the tv, but I've done it several times just with sound and he gives really good direction and suggestions for different levels.

I can understand why some more advanced yogis wouldn't care for it. For example, Yoga for Headaches isn't the most intense exercise session, but on those weeks I do one from a previous week. I also realize that podcasts aren't always the most accessible, but if you've got an mp3 player or you can workout near your computer, I would give it a try.

ADAllen
The Kniterati
ADAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ADAllen For This Useful Post:
knitwit88 (06-22-2007)
Old 06-21-2007, 11:32 PM   #3
five_six
Turning the Heel

hmmm... I haven't done yoga for a few years, but would love to get back into it, so I'm gonna check that out, but does anyone know off the top of their heads before I go research it, if it's ok to do yoga while pregnant. I guess, what I'm really asking, is which form of yoga would be best for pregnant women, as some are more intensive than others.

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:48 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, it's okay as long as it's physically comfortable for you and probably should done very gently during the last 2-3 because of the the hormone that relaxes ligaments. Also avoid inverted positions at any time.
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:11 AM   #5
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
I found some which may help. And I will give you my routine.

http://www.santosha.com/asanas/

http://yoga.about.com/

http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/yogapractice/postures.asp

I mix Pilates and Yoga. Pilates has a *

Cat-Cow
Downward Dog
Child Pose
Warrior 1
Triangle pose
Warrior 2
Here, I do a Quad stretch (Lunge forward, drop knee to floor, push pelvis forward) and a Hamstring (Sit on one heel, lean forward) stretch.
Warrior 1
Triangle pose
Warrior 2
Mountain
Eagle
Forward Bend
Rag Doll
Forward Bend
Mountain

Easy Pose
Half Spinal Twist
*Mermaid Side Stretch*
*Spine Stretch*
*Roll Ups*
*Roll like a Ball*
Supine Spinal Twist
Corpse

On most days, I do a few Sun Salutations (It's a yoga series)

I add and take away as I feel necessary. Hope that helps you!

Here's a site about Pilates if you want to try it. I love it.

http://pilates.about.com

Also, youtube.com has videos of yoga and pilates. Just do a search there.

Oh ya, and there are books and videos on prenatal yoga. I research customer reviews on amazon.com before buying. I like to go to used bookstores and the library first to.

http://www.amsfineart.com

humblestumble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humblestumble For This Useful Post:
knitwit88 (06-22-2007)
Old 06-23-2007, 07:50 AM   #6
KnitClickChick
Turning the Heel

I recently started getting into Yoga. I got some DVD's from amazon.com. I got AM and PM Yoga for Beginners. I also got Relaxation & Breathing for Meditation - with Rodney Yee, who also does the AM/PM Yoga DVD. ( There are some yoga postures on this too. ) Meditation for Beginners also has some nice yoga for a beginner. I usually do this stuff in the evening to help me unwind from the stress at work, however I have been unable to complete any of the 3 DVD's because I get so relaxed that I start falling asleep on the floor! I usually have a hard time staying asleep all night, except on the nights I do the yoga/meditation. It really does relax you and does help clear your mind. I was kind of scepticle at first and felt a little silly, but I was very pleasantly surprised at how refreshed I feel when I wake up in the morning. Do you have a Y near you? They may offer classes.

Wish List
Clapotis
Another felted bag
Mrs. Beetons Wristwarmers

On The Needles:
Silver's Palindrome Scarf - in Patons SWS Natural Pink
Feather and Fan Shawl - in Estelle Cadenza
KnitClickChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:23 AM   #7
threesmom
Turning the Heel

This site http://http://www.gaiam.com/retail/3...rBeginners/p/0 has lots of videos - and any of them that I have done have been quite good. Yoga Journal has good info on poses, I think, and if you get it, onDemand has some practices in the exercise tv section. I think I've even seen series on pbs and other cable channels from time to time.

I think, and its been several years, I learned originally from the Yoga Journal's Beginner video, which goes over breathing and poses in a progression. I've taken classes in hatha, flow, and kundalini, and now, when I do it, I do ashtanga, so most of my beginner videos are collecting dust. You are welcome to them, if you want to pm me.

Good luck with it! I know I never felt better than when I was doing yoga regularly.

Working on ... Central Park Hoodie, socks!, another baby blanket ...
Recent FOs ...baby blankets, v-neck sweater!, Nakiska headband, socks

I'm justbeth on

threesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:37 PM   #8
jeanius80
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by five_six View Post
hmmm... I haven't done yoga for a few years, but would love to get back into it, so I'm gonna check that out, but does anyone know off the top of their heads before I go research it, if it's ok to do yoga while pregnant. I guess, what I'm really asking, is which form of yoga would be best for pregnant women, as some are more intensive than others.
you can do yoga while pregnant! in fact, if you are physicly active during pregnancy, it tends to lead to an easier birth/recovery i had a prenatal yoga video, but didn't get to use it (no space- long story). i ended up exchanging it for a harry potter movie or else i would offer it to you! check out babycenter.com, they have lots of great info for during your pregnancy and after. i love that site too.
jeanius80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:39 PM   #9
iza
Turning the Heel

Yoga is good, but you have to be very careful. My friend took yoga classes with an experienced instructor, and even then, she ended up hurting her back a LOT because of it. She never had back problems before. One of my friend's father, who is hindu, practises yoga and is also a doctor, actually does not recommend yoga for everybody. He says it's better to have your back checked by a professional before doing it. At the very least, stick to the simple positions and don't force anything, especially if you're doing it alone. And if you take classes, make sure there aren't too many students in the class, so that the instructor can correct you right away if you're doing someting wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to iza For This Useful Post:
ADAllen (06-24-2007)
Old 06-24-2007, 02:46 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
All the teachers I've had say to only stretch or do positions as far as it's comfortable. If it's beyond that point, ease up or stop.
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote