Old 06-24-2007, 10:20 PM   #1
PCwombat
Knitting the Flap

Dying hair green
So, tomorrow I'm going over to my friend's house, and dying his hair green. I've had blue streaks before, but I always had them professionally done.

I was wondering if any of you had any tips or points I should know?

The dye's your basic semi permanent stuff. We're not going to bleach his hair first, cause that is permanent and his hair's already a dirty blond/light brown.

I really want it to turn out good. If it wasn't for my job, I would totally try putting some streaks in my own hair.

If it looks good, I'll post pics.
PCwombat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-25-2007, 12:21 AM   #2
laurabee86
Casting On

hey, how'd it turn out?
Old 06-25-2007, 12:38 AM   #3
debb
Knitting the Flap

Laura, you got caught in the west coast time warp. If you don't change your time (currently GMT-7 in california), the boards get to 'yesterday' before we do.
debb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
SusanAnn
Ribbing the Cuff

Good luck, I tried this on ds1's hair, he's dark brown, and all we got was a kind of dirty green.
Tried again when he wanted to go bright red, this time I bleached first and got good results.
SusanAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
NO! BLEACH IT!!!

I have dirty blond/light brown hair, and I dyed it green. It came out looking like mud.

Unless the blond parts are REALLY light, the green just won't take that well.

I had success with purple streaks without bleaching, but you couldn't see them against the rest of my hair, so that was annoying.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
meearnol
Knitting the Flap

Seriously, if you put green over anything but light blonde hair, it just looks like the hair is diseased or something. It's bad. I've done it before. Unless it's a dark green, like a Hunter green or something like that.

Another tip I can offer is to put the dye on it and put saran wrap around his hair, then blow dry it to get it warmed up. Wrap an old towel around his head and leave it for as long as he can stand it. It will make the color more intense. Of course, this is only from my experience with Manic Panic and another one of those types of dyes.

Good luck! Post pictures!

OTN - too many things at once (if that's possible).
FOs- knitty's "back to school" for the sister, and lots of single socks (I'm a repeat victim of SSS).

"If all else fails, stop using all else."

meearnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:38 PM   #7
Friskums

If it's the Manic Panic stuff, be careful cuz it'll stain just about anything it touches unless you wipe it up REAL quick.
Put vaseline around the hairline on his face and neck. It'll help prevent the dye from staining his skin.

I had my hair green for a while. I loved it!
Old 06-25-2007, 01:42 PM   #8
Silver
Instepping Out

Hmmm.... I don't mean to hijack but you guys got me thinking. DD wants either bright red, pink or purple streaks in her hair. I've been coloring my hair for years n years, but only blonde or brown. I figured I knew enough to do her hair myself. Her hair is naturally blonde (not really light, but an average blonde I guess). Should I bleach it first before adding streaks? Sounds like a pain to bleach streaks and then dye them...

PCwombat, I hope it turns out well. Hope to see pix either way!

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:53 PM   #9
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
If she's a golden/honey blond, very middle of the road, I don't think it'd be a problem. The dirty blond/light brown hair is where you will DEFINITELY have problems.

Also, I think red/pink/purple will take more strongly and last longer than the green. I have no actual basis for this feel, though.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:33 PM   #10
Friskums

Red fades quicker than almost any other color. I don't know why.

I did mine purple right after dyeing it light brown and most of the time it just looked dark brown, but when the light hit it, you could see the purple. It was really pretty.

I'd say just start off without bleaching it. If it doesn't look like you want it to, you can always go back and bleach it after it's washed out a bit.
Unless she wants them to really stand out. Then bleach it.