Old 06-25-2007, 03:43 PM   #11
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
Originally Posted by Stiney View Post
Also, I think red/pink/purple will take more strongly and last longer than the green. I have no actual basis for this feel, though.

I think so too. I had a friend that did pink in her hair and it took pretty well and she was a darker blonde
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-25-2007, 04:28 PM   #12
Silver
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Stiney View Post
The dirty blond/light brown hair is where you will DEFINITELY have problems.
Eeep.. she's more dirty blonde than honey blonde. Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll probably just do it and see how it turns out. I can't imagine the trouble it would be to bleach the streaks, then dye them. She's not TOO picky, thankfully, so that takes the pressure off. Or maybe I should just take her to the salon...

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #13
Angelia

DH has just undergone round two of "Flash Lightning" (bleach) in preparation for dyeing his hair in Manic Panic's 'Midnight Blue'. His hair is actually dirty blonde, but it took 2 applications of bleach to get it white enough to take color properly. He wants true, vivid color, though.

The secretary in my office came to work today with half her hair colored magenta--it looks fantastic! I sooooooooo want to dye mine! Vampire red...
Old 06-25-2007, 04:37 PM   #14
Friskums

I have red.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:46 PM   #15
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
I've got "natural" red, but it faded very quickly to auburn. I'm getting roots, so I need to re-dye it, but I'll probably go with a natural red again.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:03 PM   #16
PCwombat
Knitting the Flap

Well, we tried it out. If he's in the light, you can sort of see it. Subtle was the word I used. It's a cross between a very light green, yellowish highlights, and the green you get from swimming in chlorinated water for too long. But, I don't think it looks bad, just not bright green. But, I'm just surprised the color took at all. If we do do it again, we'll just leave it in longer and heat it with a hairdryer. Bleaching isn't an option because his mom was rather upset that he dyed his hair at all.

I don't have any pics because the change is so small that my camera was just making his hair look yellowish.

Silver, I think red highlights would work well without bleaching first. From what I've read, the hardest colors to get are the unnatural ones, like blue and green. When I had blue streaks (and I had bleached my hair first) I was lucky if it lasted a week without fading to a light greenish blue. Also, bleaching's just a pain in the butt.
PCwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:26 PM   #17
Carla1019
Knitting the Flap

My DD was about 10 when she wanted to color her hair RED.. Thinking she was to young to get it bleach I found out about
Kool-aid dyeing. It works, for a few weeks, with every washing it fades. but it was just what she wanted and by the time it was gone she was tried of it. So glad I did not take her down to get it done.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:36 PM   #18
willowangel
Knitting the Flap

I bleach the bits I want bright in tin foil, then use the coloured dyes. So I have mermaid hair - reddy/purple for the most part with bright turquoise bits. From my experience, even people with light hair can benefit from bleaching if they want bright colours, because the process seems to open the pores on the hair more, so the dye takes better. Not sure if that's actually what's happening, but it seems to be true.

I have dark hair, though, so have to bleach if I want any colour like that. The purpley colour over the rest of it needs to be redone every two months or so, and the stripes every couple of weeks.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:39 AM   #19
larudden
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Angelia View Post
I sooooooooo want to dye mine! Vampire red...
I love vampire red! I had my hair highlighted and then used VR on the front part. Very cool! Unfortunately, my job made me dye it back. I was NOT happy!

You MUST bleach your hair out before using the Manic Panic stuff or else it'll look awful! When my girls wanted their hair colors, I told them that the only way they could do it was if they let me do it for them! They went to Sally's and got a packet of on the scalp bleach and some 20 volume (or was it 40?) peroxide and we bleached it almost white. When the color went on, it was gorgeous and very even.

We've done pink, red, green, blue, purple, you name it! My mother would go crazy but I didn't care because, really, it's only hair!

If I wasn't working at Disney, I would have a shaved head of purple hair! I love those crazy colors!

Here's my daughter beth with pink hair. I'll have to dig out some of the other ones.
Attached Images:

larudden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:46 AM   #20
larudden
Knitting the Flap

My nephew went to Tennessee to a big concert last week and this is what he did to his hair the night before. Crazy!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rob's Hair.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	41026  
larudden is offline   Reply With Quote