Old 06-20-2007, 02:21 PM   #1
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

Weird family - UPDATE!
You won't believe it!!! (Breath, breath, breath....)
So here's the story: My grandma (my mother's mother) had 3 sisters. 2 died of cancer, 1 left. The 1 left is the weirdest person in the whole world (we all think her husband drove her to lunacy). She would never ever tell anyone anything. My grandma didn't know about her wedding till she was on vacation and got invited (of course she couldn't come - she was to far away). This lady told of her pregnancies only when she couldn't hide it anymore. Anyway, her youngest son is about 33 years old and is actually my mom's cousin (with 20 years of difference). He has a girlfriend and they live together for 8-10 years now. On our wedding she made a very strange remark about them not getting married (we're "known in public" - term in Judaism to refer to not married couples) with kind of desperate look. A few minutes ago my grandma calls my mother and says the next thing: "My sister told me that your cousin and his GF had a baby girl 3 days ago". When my mom told me, i was speechless. OK, you're weird, but that weird??? Not telling anyone that you're expecting DGD?? How superstitious can people get??? I'm shocked Now i have a second degree new cousin!!! I have a feeling our wedding was the trigger and i won't be too surprised to find out they loped to get married :rofling::rofling::rofling: Do i have to knit something now? I rarely see them and i don't think they'll invite us to see the baby... I made my mother promise that when i get to having a baby - even my grandma won't know for as long as i can Sorry, i had to vent and i can't even tell hubby - he works night shifts this week

Last edited by KnittingNat : 06-21-2007 at 02:07 PM.
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-20-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
Jeremy
Mod Squad

I wouldn't knit. If they are that superstitious maybe a nice chamsa or something with a scarlet thread?
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
I wouldn't knit. If they are that superstitious maybe a nice chamsa or something with a scarlet thread?
Thanks, Jeremy.

They're not superstitious in that way They kind of... hermits? It's their mom mostly, she's the

i'm so ... And it's gonna get worse this weekend.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:02 PM   #4
debinoz
Turning the Heel

I wouldn't knit either. Evidently they didn't want anyone to know since you didn't find out until afterwards. A "congratulations" card might be okay though.

My family are big gossips, so info like someone expecting wouldn't be a secret for more than an hour.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
I think you should knit something. Maybe it will bring the family closer together. It would not be that hard to knit up a hat and baby booties.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:25 PM   #6
Lisa_H-Town
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa_H-Town
And maybe if you knit something for the new baby, it will show an acceptance, and then maybe they will invite you to see your new cousin. Maybe open some new doors for communication? I don't know... my family is so close.... we tell each other when we break a nail. Not really.

Lisa_H-Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:56 PM   #7
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I'm with the "don't knit" group. You might choose the wrong colour, the wrong yarn, knitting itself may be 'wrong'. Maybe buy a pair of bootees and see the reaction to that first.
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:32 PM   #8
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
You know...I think that it does not matter whether or not they like it. The fact that you have done something from the heart with loving intentions...that's what counts. We can't control what other people think or say. We can only control our actions and thoughts. Yes, it's no fun to not have good will acknowledged or reciprocated, which could very well happen, but again it's about doing what you feel in your heart, not what they do afterward. It sounds like since you had this idea you should follow through on it.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:12 PM   #9
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

Well, today i tried to call the happy father and mother and NOBODY would answer the phone. When my mother asked the lucky new grandmother why, she said "they're not answering the phones, they're busy". I'm not knitting anything and i don't want to hear from this part of the family ever again Everyone are carrying cell phones these days, almost to the delivery room! I hope they enjoy their baby, but i'm too shocked to care. I'll let them be and pretend i don't have any cousins.
I'm sorry i'm so upset, it's just we're really small family and the relationship is horrible. So i'll stick to my closest family and that's it!
Old 06-21-2007, 03:02 PM   #10
marykz
Working the Gusset

weeeeird..... We didn't answer the phone when baby was first born: but our outgoing message was updated every day (for 3-4 days) with what was new, and we had literally called EVERYONE we knew about it. some folks are just strange, and nothing you do will change it.

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote