Old 06-25-2007, 07:25 AM   #1
Knit1
Casting On

Need Pattern for Sugar and Cream Cotton

Hi,

Just joined the forum after getting back into knitting (yet again). At the moment I can't knit fast enough but it is so absorbing and, as a full-time mum to 2 boys, relaxing in an evening when they're both tucked up!

As well as knitting by myself I am a member of local craft group which meets every Thursday in our houses. Sometimes we knit, sometimes we learn a new skill like cardmaking, glass painting etc, but mostly we eat cake, drink tea and chat! I always take my knitting!

Have just won 3 balls of Sugar'n Cream cotton - anyone got a simple pattern? Although I have been knitting on and off for years, I do find patterns daunting! Am currently knitting a bag to hold my knitting from 2 balls of Sugar'n Cream cotton - fantastic colours.

Anyone know of simple knitting patterns? I've borrowed Penny Hill's 'Learn to Knit' from a friend and have found these patterns easy to follow. I've noticed lots of books say they contain simple patterns (like Debbie Bliss) but I just freak out at too many PSSOs!!! Ideally I'd like patterns for me (I'm 43 but young-at-heart) and my two lads (7 and 5).

Thanks! Any suggestions welcome!!
Knit1 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-25-2007, 02:29 PM   #2
Jeremy
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Knit1 View Post

Hi,

Just joined the forum after getting back into knitting (yet again). At the moment I can't knit fast enough but it is so absorbing and, as a full-time mum to 2 boys, relaxing in an evening when they're both tucked up!

As well as knitting by myself I am a member of local craft group which meets every Thursday in our houses. Sometimes we knit, sometimes we learn a new skill like cardmaking, glass painting etc, but mostly we eat cake, drink tea and chat! I always take my knitting!

Have just won 3 balls of Sugar'n Cream cotton - anyone got a simple pattern? Although I have been knitting on and off for years, I do find patterns daunting! Am currently knitting a bag to hold my knitting from 2 balls of Sugar'n Cream cotton - fantastic colours.

Anyone know of simple knitting patterns? I've borrowed Penny Hill's 'Learn to Knit' from a friend and have found these patterns easy to follow. I've noticed lots of books say they contain simple patterns (like Debbie Bliss) but I just freak out at too many PSSOs!!! Ideally I'd like patterns for me (I'm 43 but young-at-heart) and my two lads (7 and 5).

Thanks! Any suggestions welcome!!
Welcome. There are always good patterns for dishcloths which really answers both questions. There are also very good patterns here at knitting help. I copied your post to Pattern Central. If you look there I am sure others will have even more ideas for you.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeremy For This Useful Post:
Knit1 (06-27-2007)
Old 06-25-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
marykz
Working the Gusset

dishcloths are a great way to ease into reading patterns and learning new stitches. one that is Fabulous for the sugar and cream yarns is the Ball band pattern.
here's convenient place to find lots of dishcloth patterns I know there are many more!
http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbou...knitting2.html

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.co...dishcloths.php

the book Mason Dixon knitting has lots of patterns which use the sugar and cream yarn specifically, like the cutest baby kimono! (and the washcloth)

Cotton is good for lots of things which you would like to be durable, and washable. kid sweaters, dishtowels, bath rugs... some people use it for summer tops, market bags, all sorts of things!

HTH! (and welcome!)

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marykz For This Useful Post:
Knit1 (06-27-2007)
Old 06-25-2007, 05:41 PM   #4
ironmaiden
Knitting the Flap

I've used Sugar & Cream to make these: http://vickiehowell.blogspot.com/200...-of-month.html

They're fingerless gloves and the pattern is almost painfully simple. I've made a few pairs. One ball of S&C will probably make 2 pairs with a bit to spare.

OTN: Evangeline, Criss-cross cable scarf, Cabled sweater, Malabrigo drop stitch scarf
ironmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ironmaiden For This Useful Post:
Knit1 (06-27-2007), marykz (06-26-2007)
Old 06-25-2007, 10:19 PM   #5
madametj
Working the Gusset

i've probably already recommended this pattern like 5 times, but thats cus i luv it so much

Grandma's Favorite Dishcloth (and mine too!)

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:51 PM   #6
Cristy
Instepping Out

Welcome! I like the idea of a kids sweater although you probably don't have enough for that unless you know someone having a new one this winter that you can make a "first sweater" for....

I also use it for dishcloths (which I thought was lame until I started knitting them...then it became somewhat addicting...) and I also use it to make teddy bear/stuffed animal sweaters for my daughter's stuffed animals!

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:37 AM   #7
larudden
Knitting the Flap

I've been inhaling the Mason-Dixon book these days and they show a really cool pattern for a dishrag rug. Knit up 6 dishcloths and then sew them together in a rectangle. Very cool.

There's also a pattern for an easy baby kimono that I just love. I just need a baby to knit it for! :grin:
larudden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:32 AM   #8
Knit1
Casting On

Hi, and thanks to EVERYONE for their helpful suggestions! I'm off to start knitting a book sweater (yes, it really is a sweater for your favourite book!!) and a few washcloths.

Keep on knitting!!
Knit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:13 AM   #9
nascardudette
Ribbing the Cuff

Wow that is a cool idea .. a bood sweater .. do you have a pattern?
thanks KC

"May your day be special and filled with joy."
nascardudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:13 AM   #10
nascardudette
Ribbing the Cuff

correction
booK sweater .. duh

"May your day be special and filled with joy."
nascardudette is offline   Reply With Quote