Old 06-26-2007, 11:59 AM   #11
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
Kaydee and I will have to agree to disagree about baseball.

Actually, the thing I like about both Northvale and Boston is that I didn't/don't know my neighbors. I get slightly creeped out when strangers say hello to me. I know most of them are just being friendly or polite, but I'm so used to the "Don't talk to strangers" mentality being dominant, that it's usually the weirdos who are the ones saying hello.

I guess that puts me in contrast with everyone else, though. I like being antisocial and anonymous, and being able to run out to the grocery store or CVS or whatever and NOT run into people I know.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-26-2007, 12:25 PM   #12
Silver
Instepping Out

I was born in Orange Park Florida, and lived in Jacksonville until I was 13, moved to Orange Park lived there for a few years, moved back to Jax, then finally hubby and I bought a house in OP and that's where we are now.

Orange Park is a large "small town" with about 9000 people. We have "good" and "bad" areas, luckily I live in a good area with low crime rate. My neighborhood is a middle class/working class neighborhood. The neighbors are nice, we get along with our two immediate neighbors, and there are several kids in the area. Schools are excellent in this county.

Orange Park shares a border with Jacksonville which is a huge city, the largest area-wise city in the country! So we have all the pros of living in a suburban almost rural area right next to a big urban city. We can drive to art museums, a zoo, the beach, farms, downtown city life, good old country stores and everything in between.

If we had 4 seasons here, it would be perfect. But being Florida, we have Summer, Almost Summer and Hurricane seasons.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:
threesmom (06-26-2007)
Old 06-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #13
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
Originally Posted by Stiney View Post
Kaydee and I will have to agree to disagree about baseball.
I think so!

I like knowing my neighbors to an extent. I hate when your neighbors seem to know everyone's busniess and gossip about everyone. That's so annoying!
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:11 PM   #14
Stonington
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Stonington
Hi,
I grew up half in Mystic CT and half in Hampden ME. Both were great for kids. Mystic- we were right on the ocean, and it does not get any better than that lol. Hampden had a great school, kids could walk all over the place with little or no worries. Now that I am married I spend quite a bit of time in Northern Vermont-my dh's family is there, the Newport/Orleans area. And it is true, Vermont is very diverse from one end of the state to the other. Northern VT is verrrry rural. I love the country (lived in the western mtns of ME for 12 years) but don't think that would be my first choice. Southern Vermont on the other hand is wonderful... year round. We currently live in Sebago ME and love it! About an hour into Portland, where I work and we sometimes play. Lots of kayaking, hiking... good schools or so I hear, our children were all grown by the time we found each other. Good luck with your search!

anne
On the Hook:

Shawl
Reading:
"Echo in Bone" by Dianna Gabaldon
Listening in the Car:
"Though Not Dead: Kate Shugak Series Book 18" byDana Stabenow
Stonington is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stonington For This Useful Post:
threesmom (06-26-2007)
Old 06-26-2007, 04:52 PM   #15
threesmom
Turning the Heel

Thanks guys! You all bring up some great points. You're right Jan - safety is a huge issue with kids, and while I think our home is in a safe area, I worry about the schools. I've even been thinking of homeschooling our kids, (there are a few organizations around) but I'm not sure I have the temperment for it. I mean, I love the rural-ness of the nursery, and I love that we are within an hour of Philly and the shore (both places where I spent a ton of time as a kid), and I love that family is close by. But I think what is missing here is that sense of community, and of groups with similar values. I'm so afraid of idealizing someplace else, when I know all places have their pros and cons. I think my ideall is a smallish town - not as spread out as here - in a fairly rural area. Maybe I'm foolishly looking for a simplier way of life

And we're thinking of Vermont, Hamalee, because we've spent a decent amount of time there, and we feel comfortable. Several of our friends have moved there, which helps, and there's workable farmland, should my dh decide to set up shop again. I'm a social worker - doesn't really matter for my work so much! Plus, like you said - it's so pretty! lots of hiking, and the weather is soo much better - to us anyway!

You all have given me still more to think about - thanks! You guys are great!

Working on ... Central Park Hoodie, socks!, another baby blanket ...
Recent FOs ...baby blankets, v-neck sweater!, Nakiska headband, socks

I'm justbeth on

threesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:13 PM   #16
bobi1218
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to bobi1218
I grew up in a small suburb south of Philadelphia. It was OK, I tend to idealize it now. The schools weren't great, and there wasn't a lot for kids to do (like community programs, that sort of thing), but it was an easy place to raise kids. Everyone knew everyone, and I couldn't get away with anything without my parents finding out, probably before I even got home

Right now, we're in Columbia, MD. I love it, and the longer I'm here the more I like it. Its expensive and crowded, but for good reason. The public schools are terrific, there are tons of things to do with kids of all ages. There's a great community association that runs gyms and pools and sports camps, etc, that isn't that expensive. The library has tons of free programs for kids and adults. Churches in the area are fairly active, with lots of playgroups, preschools, etc. Baltimore and DC are both close - Baltimore is about 15 minutes away and DC is about 30. Philly and NYC are day trips, and so is the beach. I was really unhappy when we first moved here, because I was used to the area I grew up in, and I felt isolated and lonely. But I'm finding my niche now, and I really like it here.

bobi1218 on Ravelry
bobi1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobi1218 For This Useful Post:
threesmom (06-27-2007)
Old 07-16-2007, 12:49 AM   #17
Hygiene Mama
Knitting the Flap

I love where we live. We've lived here almost 7 years. We live out in the country, on a dirt, dead end road on 10 acres. Most of our neighbors are over 55 years old. We actually have an 85 year old neighbor who drives down our road once a day, we call him the "Mayor". It's kinda nice because he'll notice if something isn't right. Our road gets together for a potluck every summer. I never want to move. Also, our kids go to the same school dh and I did.

I Finally have a ravelry page:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/SandyRDH
Hygiene Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:55 AM   #18
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Growing up a military brat, being in the military myself, and basically having a wandering bone I have lived all over the world at various times. Every place has it's good and bad points. I've settled back in Florida where I spent a part of my childhood. I like it here. I'm an outdoor person and the weather here allows outdoor activities all year long without needing to be concerned with frostbite. I hate cold weather.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:07 AM   #19
mel.b
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm in Australia, so towns aren't really going to help, but I grew up in a country town about 60miles (100km) from the capital city (Melbourne) Population then was about 10,000.

I went to Sydney for 4 years for university and while I liked being close to everything, I hated the transport situation, the pollution and the cost of living.

After university, I got a job that is about 70-80miles from the capital city and only a hours drive from where I grew up! It wasn't planned but it worked out that way. I now live less than 10min drive from the beach and I love it. I go scuba diving most weekends and it's so relaxing taking the dog for a walk there after work. The town is smaller (about 6000 people) and I love the fact I can wake up at 8am and still be on time for work at 8.30! It has pretty much everything I need and is still close enough to make a day trip to the city if I want to go shopping or whatever. I'm definately a smaller town girl - I can do without cafes, bars, clubs and what not and I hate traffic so a country town is perfect.
mel.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:24 PM   #20
Sri Radha
Casting On

I live in New Jersey but I am moving to Vermont next month! Are you still moving???
Sri Radha is offline   Reply With Quote