Stonington
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Stonington
Stonington Shetland Shawl
Good Morning!

Has anyone made this:

http://www.wendyjohnson.net/knit/shetland.htm

I did a search for
Pattern Source: Wool Gathering #15 (also available in the Knitters Best of book) and was unsuccessful.

I would love to make this or something similar--any suggestions?

Thanks so much!
anne

Reading:
"The Wolf in Winter" by John Connolly
Listening in the Car:
"The House on Tradd Street"
by Karen White

Stonington is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
Calamintha
Knitting the Flap

I have the Shawls and Scarves: Best of Knitters Magazine and the pattern is in there. Did you mean you can't find a copy of the book? I ordered mine from Amazon. You might be able to get it through the library. It's a fairly popular book.

The Stonington Shawl is a typical Shetland Shawl. There are some other Shetland Shawl patterns from Fiddlesticks such as the Tina Shawl and the Garden Shawl but most of the ones I have seen are more elaborate than the Stonington Shawl. The Knitters book has a few Shetland Shawls in it. I made one of the other ones from the book.
Calamintha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:44 AM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
The Woolgathering booklets are from www.schoolhousepress.com . They probably have back copies available.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
Stonington
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Stonington View Post
Good Morning!

Has anyone made this:

http://www.wendyjohnson.net/knit/shetland.htm

I did a search for
Pattern Source: Wool Gathering #15 (also available in the Knitters Best of book) and was unsuccessful.

I would love to make this or something similar--any suggestions?

Thanks so much!
anne
Originally Posted by Calamintha View Post
I have the Shawls and Scarves: Best of Knitters Magazine and the pattern is in there. Did you mean you can't find a copy of the book? I ordered mine from Amazon. You might be able to get it through the library. It's a fairly popular book.

The Stonington Shawl is a typical Shetland Shawl. There are some other Shetland Shawl patterns from Fiddlesticks such as the Tina Shawl and the Garden Shawl but most of the ones I have seen are more elaborate than the Stonington Shawl. The Knitters book has a few Shetland Shawls in it. I made one of the other ones from the book.
Found it! Amazon- Thank you both so much! Our library does not have a very large knitting selection. I would try ILL but really would like it for vacation next week.
Thanks again!

anne

Reading:
Listening in the Car:
by Karen White

Old 06-26-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
Calamintha
Knitting the Flap

Oh, good! I don't think you'll regret it. It's a wonderful book with lots of interesting patterns. There are also quite a few articles in the book that contain good tips on lace knitting too.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
Braden
Instepping Out

I've been thinking about knitting it. It's in Elizabeth Zimmermann's The Knitting Workshop, also.

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:21 PM   #7
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

That is just so beautiful and restful. I love it. Would be a nice thing to live with for years!

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:31 AM   #8
Stonington
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by ContiKnitter View Post
I've been thinking about knitting it. It's in Elizabeth Zimmermann's The Knitting Workshop, also.
Conti,

I still consider myself well, maybe an advanced beginner lol. Does the edging on the pattern look difficult? I am hoping to stop by Borders after work to see if they have Elizabeth Simmermann's book. update- Borders does not have it! :'( They do have "Shawls and Scarves: The Best of Knitter's Magazine" The pattern should be the same though, shouldn't it?

I was going to order from Amazon but need it before we go on vacation.

Thanks!

hmmmm will this be considered a lace project?

anne

Reading:
Listening in the Car:
by Karen White

Old 06-27-2007, 11:26 AM   #9
Calamintha
Knitting the Flap

I've been knitting lace for about ten years and the Stonington Shawl is not particularly difficult imo. Much of it is plain garter stitch. As far as the lace edging goes, they are not difficult at all but are somewhat similar to heels of socks in the sense that while they are not difficult it can sometimes be confusing for beginners to know how to follow the directions correctly. But I think that the directions are fairly clear in the pattern.

Lace edgings are knitted sideways perpendicular to the main part of the shawl. When you are knitting away from the shawl you are knitting the right side of the edging. When you are knitting back toward the shawl you are knitting the wrong side and will attach the edging on the wrong side of the shawl by knitting one of the edging stitches together with a live stitch from the shawl. If you get stuck at that point post again.

Lace edgings can take a surprisingly long time to complete though. I know someone who made the Stonington Shawl and it took a few years to complete. Of course, she didn't work on it non-stop!
Old 06-27-2007, 01:37 PM   #10
Stonington
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Stonington View Post
Conti,

I still consider myself well, maybe an advanced beginner lol. Does the edging on the pattern look difficult? I am hoping to stop by Borders after work to see if they have Elizabeth Simmermann's book. update- Borders does not have it! :'( They do have "Shawls and Scarves: The Best of Knitter's Magazine" The pattern should be the same though, shouldn't it?

I was going to order from Amazon but need it before we go on vacation.

Thanks!

hmmmm will this be considered a lace project?

anne
I purchased Shawls and Scarves and it is not the same shawl. There are some variations in the book, but I really wanted the edging on the one pictured. so back to the drawing board for me.
anne

Reading:
Listening in the Car:
by Karen White