Old 06-27-2007, 01:52 AM   #1
IrishKnitter
Instepping Out

Knitting on international flights
Hi everybody,

I've recently flown within the US with my knitting with absolutely no problem. However, I'm flying to Europe next month, and I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with international flights. Has anyone tried to take their knitting needles with them recently?

Thanks in advance for any input!
IrishKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-27-2007, 03:51 AM   #2
Debbie
Working the Gusset

I just got back from Denmark and knitted all the way there and back. I "checked" my options and used bamboo circs to knit while on the planes. I love airplane knitting ... it makes the time go so quickly!

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Debbie For This Useful Post:
IrishKnitter (06-27-2007)
Old 06-27-2007, 03:54 AM   #3
AmandaC
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to AmandaC
I'm not allowed ..... they won't let them through security that's London Heathrow.
Askew - Rowan Summer Tweed - Rush - well... off the needles but needs to be blocked and seamed
Monkey socks - Lisa Souza - Mars Quake

LAST FINISHED:
Anthropologie inspired capelet - mmmmMalabrigo chunky - hummingbird
Simple Knitted Bodice - Glampyre - KP Andrean Silk - Olive
Rowan - Hero Jumper - Rowan Denim
MY MASTER'S SOCK 2 - Lisa Souza - Lime & Violet

I'm toftie
AmandaC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2007, 05:08 AM   #4
catownedanna
Working the Gusset

This post's Swedish word/phrase: "det är inte tillåtet att sticka på svenska flyg" = "Knitting is not allowed on Swedish flights"
_____

I tried bringing my knitting on a plane flying domestic in Sweden in November last year but was denied. I had to change planes in Arlanda (Stockholm) and saw two women knitting while waiting for the same plane as I did...

I've heard that the standard is to not let knitting on board. Maybe these women were better looking than I am? Or had understanding women checking them through security?

On the needles: A couple of different projects
Recently off the needles: A couple of different projects
catownedanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to catownedanna For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2007, 08:14 AM   #5
ironmaiden
Knitting the Flap

What about plastic needles? I don't see how those could be seen as any more dangerous than a ball point pen...

OTN: Evangeline, Criss-cross cable scarf, Cabled sweater, Malabrigo drop stitch scarf
ironmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #6
Josie
Ribbing the Cuff

I recently flew to Spain (through France). I was allowed to take the needles on the way there (both legs of the flight), but not allowed to have them on the return flight. Not sure why, but knitting needles were specifically disallowed in a list on a sticker when we checked in for our return flight in Madrid. Just keep your baggage that you're planning to check with you until you find out -- that way you can stash them quickly if you need to!!
Josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:50 PM   #7
bajanKnit
Knitting the Flap

I am travelling to the UK next week and i would die if i have to sit on a plane for 8 hours and not be able to knit maybe i should call the airline and ask ? yeah i think i'll call May be you can try doing that as well or checking they website..
bajanKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:27 PM   #8
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by bajanKnit View Post
I am travelling to the UK next week and i would die if i have to sit on a plane for 8 hours and not be able to knit maybe i should call the airline and ask ? yeah i think i'll call May be you can try doing that as well or checking they website..
I wouldn't risk it if you are travelling to the UK. I travelled through there in April and they are very tough on security regulations. Just in case no one has told you, they will only allow ONE carry one bag. ONE. Not a bag and a purse. Just ONE bag. If you are carrying a bag and a purse they will make you put your purse in your carry on bag or they will have you check one bag. It's a pain in the behind but that's what they want and you can't talk your way past that.

AmandaC says they don't allow knitting needles and after my experience trying to get through with more than one carry-on (most other places allow you two carry on bags) I would take her word for it.

Best,
Susan

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:39 PM   #9
ADAllen
Turning the Heel

I just got back from Europe last week and they let me take my needles out of the US in to Amsterdam, from Paris to Spain, and out of Spain back to the US. I had wooden needles and a small pair of children's scissors that had a rounded tips. I didn't have any problems at all. I would recommend looking over the regulations of the airlines you will be using. I was able to find all of that information on the websites of our airlines. I would also take a stitch holder along just in case your needles are confiscated.

ADAllen
The Kniterati
ADAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:46 PM   #10
bah
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to bah
I knit going from Japan to the US, then from Japan to Guam (yes, still part of the US) and next week will be taking my knitting from Japan to Australia. I take it and worry about it then. If you don't make a big deal about it, usually neither will they, but it all depends on the individuals at the security areas.
bah is offline   Reply With Quote