Old 06-28-2007, 06:57 AM   #11
Castle
Casting On

I've had no problem bringing plastic Denise Interchangables onto flights between US and New Zealand. The problem I've had is that traveling with 2 kids under 3 made knitting impossible!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-28-2007, 09:23 AM   #12
ironmaiden
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Castle View Post
I've had no problem bringing plastic Denise Interchangables onto flights between US and New Zealand. The problem I've had is that traveling with 2 kids under 3 made knitting impossible!
That's what I was thinking - the Denises. I can sort of see how pointy metal needles might worry security lol.

OTN: Evangeline, Criss-cross cable scarf, Cabled sweater, Malabrigo drop stitch scarf
ironmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:40 PM   #13
dharmakitty
Casting On

Denise Needles
I'm glad I came across this thread. We are flying to London and then to Paris next week. I was going to bring my Denise needles and a small project. But now I am reconsidering because I would hate for my Denise needles to be confiscated. I wasn't planning on checking my bag. I'm purposely packing extremely light so I don't have to check anything. I would hate to have to get out of the secuity line and go back to the ticket desk.

Has anyone ever brought along an envelope with prepaid postage so you could just mail them home to yourself? Is there a mail box somewhere in the airport?

I guess I could just knit some socks. That way if they confiscate my bamboo needles, it wouldn't be as painful. But I was hoping to knit a tea cozy instead.

I know, I know, my life is so hard.
dharmakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:57 AM   #14
Knit1Drop1
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by dharmakitty View Post

Has anyone ever brought along an envelope with prepaid postage so you could just mail them home to yourself? Is there a mail box somewhere in the airport?
I have not done this but my mother did. They confiscated a pair of scissors when she went through. I believe the mail drop off for such things is near the security check.
Knit1Drop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:42 PM   #15
bajanKnit
Knitting the Flap

I contacted the airline I will be travelling to london on British Airways and they don't allow any type of needle onboard so i guess knitting is out of the question.. what will I do for 8 hours
bajanKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:47 PM   #16
ADAllen
Turning the Heel

That's no fun, but I suppose there are all those knitting books.

ADAllen
The Kniterati
ADAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ADAllen For This Useful Post:
bajanKnit (07-02-2007)
Old 07-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #17
lilyofforce
Casting On

Hi! I recently flew to and from Spain with two pairs of needles and a big project, and had no problems whatsoever. TSA does say that needles could be seen as a threat, and that bamboo/plastic are preferred over metal.

Happy travels!
lilyofforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:32 PM   #18
Doodknitwit
Working the Gusset

i fly with Denise always!! no hassles check with the airline website!!
Old 07-02-2007, 09:18 PM   #19
zip

Regardless of what the individual airlines state, regardless of what others' experiences have been, always remember that (1) things can change in one day, (2) getting through with ANYTHING depends entirely upon the security person you draw, and (3) you'll get through more quickly if you act as though you fly everyday and don't draw attention to yourself.

Once, I was behind two women in the security line, one of whom loudly and pointedly asked a member of security, "my friend crochets. Can she take her needle on board?" I did the Napoleon Dynamite "idiot!" under my breath. :rofling:
Old 07-02-2007, 11:57 PM   #20
babylee
Casting On

hi all,

I travel a lot domestically in Australia and always take my Denise's with me. I have called the airline who said I can't take them, but I have never had a problem with them...no one in security has even questioned them.

I do take an envelope with me in case I need to mail them to myself, but this has never happened. I usually take the needles off the cord and put them with my pens.

Also, I have taken them from Australia to New Zealand without any trouble.

Cheers,
Abby
babylee is offline   Reply With Quote