Old 07-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
niferzilla
Casting On

Send a message via MSN to niferzilla
What to knit when expecting and don't know the sex?
If you were expecting (like I am) and didn't know the sex of the baby, what would you knit and what colours would you use?

DH requested that we kept finding out the baby's gender as a birth suprise and now I am totally kicking myself in the butt!

So it's due on October 30th. a sweater season baby :D

Now as a first time Mom, what should I knit for it and what colour strategy would you suggest? (2 of everything? boy colour girl colour?)
niferzilla is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-09-2007, 03:47 PM   #2
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

First of all, congrats! Second - I wish i had your patience, i would never be able to wait to find out I don't have kids yet, but i think the moment i can know - i'd like to know. There are many patterns for babies that don't come in pastel, usual baby colours. There's this new book that Quiltlady posted here about. I personally dislike all that girl=red and boys=blue stuff. There's green and burgundy and yellow and lots of other colors! I would knit in different colors and eventually, no matter the sex of the baby - you'll have her/him having really stylish outfits!
Have a great pregnancy and easy delivery..
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:58 PM   #3
ready2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Location: Like Alice, I've fallen down the rabbit hole and landed in the midwest and asking WHY?!
Nif,

Congrats!! First of all it's not so bad waiting to meet your baby. I didn't know with either of mine, and I have never regreted the decision. I always thought it was like peaking at Christmas presents!

Regarding colors, there are so many. You can go the whole pastel root and do pale yellow and light green. Or, you can go bold. Purples, greens, reds. I think you're only limited by your imigination. Some one just posted a great baby book. Check it out, it may give you some ideas.

http://www.knitpicks.com/Chic+Knits+...s_BD30961.html

Jana
ready2knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:12 PM   #4
nadja la claire
Working the Gusset

Congratulations!!!
I'm making this blanket for my coming soon grandchild. I don't know the gender so this will work for either girl or boy. Plus I'm not a fan of blue for boys and pink for girls. That's just too limiting.

http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer05/...ldstripes.html

Nadja xxx

Claire

My Yarn Stash is a Treasure Chest

nadja la claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
yarnfreak
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to yarnfreak
Congrats to you!!! I've always just picked colors that I like. I never really worried about boy colors vs girl colors. There are so many great combinations out there these days. Try not to think in terms of boy or girl, just go with what strikes your fancy.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:21 PM   #6
ready2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Location: Like Alice, I've fallen down the rabbit hole and landed in the midwest and asking WHY?!
Nadja,

What a fantastic pattern for the blanket! I think I'll have to make that soon.

Jana
ready2knit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ready2knit For This Useful Post:
nadja la claire (07-13-2007)
Old 07-09-2007, 04:37 PM   #7
kellyh57
Turning the Heel

Did you know babies most like looking at black and white combos? We printed out pictures of stars, bullseyes, etc in black on white paper and the babies LOVE staring at them. (Yeah- cheap toys!) Why not knit a blanket or toys in black and white. It's definitely gender neutral and the baby will LOVE it!

Kelly
Old 07-09-2007, 04:44 PM   #8
Braden
Instepping Out

Congratulations!

I would knit a blanket, starting from the center, and then just put a plain knit/purl pattern in there. I would knit a garter stitch jacket, making both in neutral colors, maybe a taupe, brown, white, something like that. Just your basic layette.

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
bip
Turning the Heel

Definitely don't make the willie warmer from that other thread
bip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:37 AM   #10
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I agree with KnittingNat. I like the idea of using unusual colors for baby clothing.

There are some interesting colors that you can use if you are willing to use other weight yarns, not just baby weight yarn.

For example, I would knit purples for either sex. Certain greens are interesting. Golds. Creams. Rainbow color combinations.

I get stuck when it comes to cardigans. Have to know the sex to know which side to put the buttonholes! So I stick to pullovers and non-buttoning cardigans.

For example, look at this BABY OUTFIT...and this THIS OUTFIT and tell me they aren't just adorable...and NOT THE USUAL pink for girls and blue for boys! These outfits would look adorable on either a girl or a boy IMHO.

And BTW: CONGRATULATIONS on your forthcoming bundle of joy!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote