Old 06-28-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
letah75
Working the Gusset

- blended family advice
Hi all,

I find myself in a new situation and would just like some words of wisdom from the many more experienced people of KH.

A while ago I posted that I have a new BF(I've known since I was 9)....here is the link so I don't have to repeat the whole story.

Ok, basically I just met my BF's son's mom. Now we've met before about 5 times over the last 8 years, when they were together, but I met her as the GF, and the one who their son has been spending time with. So she knows my family, what kind of person I am, and she knows that her son really likes me. We went to the kindergarden granduation yesterday, and when the kids got released to the parents he ran past mom, waved at her and came straight to dad (my BF) and me showed us his diploma and asked if he could come home with us...to my house and stay. Mom kind of left the room at that point. Little jr. a few minutes later wanted to know where she was I told him she was outside and would love to see his diploma. He wanted me to come with him to show mom...I told him that mom would love to have him show her, and I'd be out in a minute. So he went out and showed mom the diploma for about 30 seconds then came back in to get me and daddy.

Mom was very nice, although when she realized who I was she got quiet and left pretty quickly. She's a very nice person, and I think things will go ok, but I just want to make everything as smooth as possible. There is going to be some adjustment period, as daddy will soon be moving to where I am to be with me, and we're getting more and more serious.

Little jr. is going to be spending more time with us now, as he will be on vacation, mom now knows who I am, knows that BF and I have known one another forever, knows my family, and saw how her son interacted with me. At graduation lunch he wanted to sit with me not her..and not daddy.

She didn't bring a camera to the graduation, I brought mine and took pictures and video. I told her I would put all of that stuff on DVD for her and send it with daddy when he picks up Little jr. next time.

I guess I just want to help make this as smooth as possible. I don't think she's going to throw a fit, or cause problems, she's not really that type of person. But I want to make her as comfortable with me as possible, and not be 'threatening' to her if you know what I mean.

I think I would like to get a printed copy of a picture I took of mom and Little jr. and get a little frame and send it down to her with daddy.

I know things will work out as they are supposed to, but I'd like to help them work out and not just 'ride the wave' so to speak. I'd appriciate any advice or words of wisdom that anyone would like to share with me.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-28-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
You're in a really rough spot. My parents never really fought, but relations were always very chilly, even before my dad got remarried.

My brother and I were also older when that happened, (14 and 10 when Dad and Sue got married), and my father rarely came to events, let alone her. (I'm not bitter. ) So for the very few that there were, we had to sort of split our time between them, but we were old enough to "get it."

Good luck. I think you are doing a great job!

My sisters had a really hard time understanding why my brother and I didn't live with them. They knew that Dad was my dad, but the whole "We live with our mom" thing threw them for a long time. I think they get it now (9 and 7.)

Am famoos!

Last edited by Stiney : 06-28-2007 at 04:27 PM. Reason: forgot to finish thought
Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stiney For This Useful Post:
letah75 (06-28-2007)
Old 06-28-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
hellokitty165
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to hellokitty165
Hi there !... i know you are in a difficult position ... it seemed that jr is really attached to you ... i had to say you did a great job finding balance between all of you ...you have a great heart.. maybe the mom would able to see it that you care and love the jr and come to appreciate what you did for him... do not worry too much okie...cos only time will tell eventually... just do your best and enjoy your relationship with the daddy and jr ...or event that involve the mom... i wish you the best and happiness ... i am happy for you .. we'll be here for you 24/7..
letah75 (06-28-2007)
Old 06-28-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
letah75
Working the Gusset

All in all, mom and daddy have a fairly good relationship. We've had quite a few discussions about it, and it is very important to him that Little jr. not feel tension between them. He is always careful to be nice to her, and get along with her. They have joint custody and it wasn't a bad fight they did mediation.

He is extreamly involved with his son, frankly if he wasn't I wouldn't be with him. And his son is the most important thing in his life.

Daddy's philosophy is "I wish things had worked out differently, but since this is the way they are, I need to make this as positive as possible for Little jr." He really wants his son to know that just becasue mom and daddy didn't work out, that it doesn't mean they can't be friends/civil/polite/nice to one another. He is always positive about mom when Little jr. is anywhere around, and in fact really trys never to say negative things about her, so that he will never slip with something in front of Little jr.

Daddy also wants her to know what is going on with him so as not to side swip her with his life (aka, me). Now she really is a nice person, and I do like her. I think my main thing is, I don't expect that she and I will be best buds or anything, but I want things to be as cordial/nice as possible. I'm really expecting in the long run that he and I will get married and do the family thing.

I just want it to be the best it can for Little jr. and that most definately includes mom, as...well....she is mom. It's going to help that she's all in all a good person, and that his family is going to be behind me, and he's already doing what he can to make things smooth and positive.

I've just never been in this situation, and don't really know where the pitfalls are. I don't want to make a big snaffu, if I can help it. Little jr. is the one who this whole thing will effect the most, and I want to have it be a good and wonderful as possible.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
Old 06-28-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
lissalue
Instepping Out

It sounds like you are doing the best you can. How long have you and Dad been dating? And have you had a lot of contact with Junior the whole time? I ask because in a lot of ways the running past mom to get to you and all that sounds very much like what a lot of kids do over someone new that they really like. My dd1 did this very badly when she started preschool. It was all about her teachers, and she could care less about me.

THe situations are always tough, no matter how careful you are. I say this as a child of divorce and having seen both my parents in relationships afterwards. I can tell you now which of the people they dated really cared about them and me by how they acted toward and about the other parent.

I can tell by your concern over the situation how much you care for Dad and Jr. So for that, I say way to go! Hope everythin g continues to go as smoothly as possible for you.

lissalue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lissalue For This Useful Post:
letah75 (06-28-2007)
Old 06-28-2007, 04:54 PM   #6
Silver
Instepping Out

Well I think it's obvious that you are a wonderful person with a big heart. No wonder daddy and jr love you so.

While I have absolutely no experience with blended families, my advice is that maybe you could go out to lunch with mom and have a heart-to-heart with her. Let her know how you feel about dad and jr and that you have no intention of replacing her as mom.. and you just wanted her to know that. If lunch is a little to personal, or awkward, perhaps just a phone call? I think talking to her about your feelings would be a really good thing. If you might become stepmom to her baby, now's a really good time to cultivate a friendship with mom. Maybe you two CAN become good friends? Or at least co-moms to jr.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:
letah75 (06-28-2007)
Old 06-28-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
letah75
Working the Gusset

Dad and I have only been dating since May 21st...but since we've known each other since I was 9 and he was 10 (22 years), and we've always been in very close contact. Whenever we needed to talk, were having problems, etc. he would call me, and I would call him. Because of this everything is kinda on fast track. We've jumped into a relationship where we know the other person so intimetly already. And it's super bizarre, I see this adult super imposed on teh 10 year old/14 year old/18 year old/etc. that I knew back then. And I see Little daddy in Little jr. so much.

Since May though, we've had Little jr. 3 of the 4 weekends (Friday-Monday).

Mom lives about 1 1/2 hours away, so there is little chance to go out to lunch. The phone call might be good, but I think I want to give her a while to get used to the whole thing. Since his having a GF is one thing, but she knows who I am, and knows that he liked me when we were little, and knows I was his first kiss and all, I think I want to give her as much time to get used to the idea as I can, before I just kinda invade. :-)

I'm hoping by getting her pic. with Little jr. printed and framed, and sent down to her, it will give the same kind of impression as the lunch/phone call option, without me seeming like I'm trying to be too pushy.

thanks so much for the comments already left! bouncing things off of you guys always gives me such a better perspective. I really was just thinking about getting comments from parents, but the comments those of you who are children of a divorce are soooo helpful.

My parents are still together, and so I don't have that perspective. All (well the large majority) of my friends growing up were children of single parents and so they don't have that perspective either.

Any additional comments will be super welcom to! Thanks again everyone. It's going to be an interesting road.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:45 PM   #8
iza
Turning the Heel

From what I know, this kind of situation is not uncommon. Think about it... Mom is probably doing most of the discipline and takes care of his schedule, so in his mind, mommy is boring and you're cool! It happens a lot with aunts/uncles or grandparents too. Kids can say things like "Mom, I prefer to be with grandma, I don't like staying with you".

It would be nice for mom to know she's not doing anything wrong and that her son's reaction is normal, as heartbreaking as it can be. If you do get married with your boyfriend and become a stepmom, there's a good chance his reaction towards you will become more "normal", when you'll need to use authority and discipline.
The Following User Says Thank You to iza For This Useful Post:
letah75 (06-28-2007)
Old 06-28-2007, 07:31 PM   #9
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Letah,

What a wonderful thing for you to do! She's probably going to have a hard time at first, but I think that maybe your gesture will be a nice "official" start to this relationship with her. I'm sure she'll see what a well-balanced person you are and appreciative of that fact...given that her son is spending so much time with you.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to auburnchick For This Useful Post:
letah75 (06-28-2007)
Old 06-29-2007, 10:00 AM   #10
PaperGirl
Turning the Heel

PLEASE PLEASE (I know you wouldnt do this cause you are a wonderful person!, but I have to say it anyway...)

Dont EVER talk poopy about her to your bf...there is always a chance that the little one will hear it.

I only say that because my ex remarried, and his wife HATES me. And she ALWAYS...no matter WHAT, finds SOME way to take a jab at me..or my DH. And it is awful. AND...when my oldest goes to visit her dad..(like she is leaving today for summer vacay with them) she always comes home with at least ONE instance of something that stepmom says about me, DH, or our family...and it infuriates me.

I have TRIED so hard to be nice to her and her daughter for MY daughters sake...but she makes it SO hard!

She wants school pictures of DD...I tell her I will order an extra sheet, but she needs to help pay...she refuses.

She wants to rearrange visitation for DD's dad...I try to help...she makes it a pain in my butt...and not convienent at all.

AND...the part that upsets my daughter the most...is that her stepmom clearly favors HER daughter over MINE..and it shows alot.

Please, take extra care to make sure that you and BF dont do that to the little guy.

And Im SURE that you wont...but...its just my experience..

PaperGirl there too!

PaperGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperGirl For This Useful Post:
letah75 (06-29-2007)