Old 07-26-2007, 11:23 AM   #21
nik
Ribbing the Cuff

I liked jury duty. It was 3 days of resting and reading and watching movies. The food was good, lunch hours were an hour and a half, and you got a ton of breaks.

I don't understand why it's so dreaded. It was a mini vacation for me and I loved it.
nik is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-26-2007, 11:55 AM   #22
orcoastknitter
Turning the Heel

One of the reasons I didn't want to go is because of my work, if I miss a day I don't get paid. The other reason, the county court house is about 65 miles away from me. I don't mind the drive, but I rather do somethng else while I was in the Big City (like visiting my LYS, shopping, farmers market...etc).

Now I am good for two years.. I think..
orcoastknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:13 PM   #23
letah75
Working the Gusset

I've gotten called twice. Once right after I moved out of my parent's house for college. I moved 200 miles away and so I called and let them know. I was taken off of the list.

The second time I got called I went and didn't get picked. The nice thing is I work for the county, and so the Court house is right next door to my office. I can wave to my co-workers practically.

Now my dad, that man seems to get called EVERY year. He also NEVER gets picked. Seems the DA's aren't too keen on having a priest in the jury.

I've always wanted to be on a jury but I can't imagine I'll ever be picked for a criminal trial. I work in law enforcement in the county, so I know all the criminals and lawyers (both public and private) in this county. I did 7 years as a rape crisis counselor and I have a psych degree.

No one I work with has ever been picked for a jury. guess I chose the wrong career path if I wan't to fullfill my jury duty...duty.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:27 PM   #24
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

I got called while I was away at college too -- my Mom let them know I couldn't make it. I got called again a few years ago. I served on a civil case, and found it a good experience overall. Not the most interesting trial, but I enjoyed working with the other jurors. It was a nice change of pace. I feel bad for the people whose lives get really disrupted because they have to sit on long trials.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:20 PM   #25
misha rf

The first time I got the notice, I was in college & lived 45 min away--with no car. So I deferred it for a year (they allowed that). By then, I'd graduated & moved into an apt. in a new county, so I was excused as I was no longer a "resident" in my home county.

I got called up when I lived in TX, and my bosses, both lawyers, wanted me to get out of it. I was taking summer classes, and got excused.

The third time, I was living in Brooklyn. I was excused from the first panel, but they didn't finish questioning the second panel, so I had to come back the next day. I got picked, and was told I had to come back the following day to see if they'd fill the jury. Fortunately, there was a library nearby, so I borrowed a huge stack of books at lunchtime (on the first day). They picked a full jury, and we were told to come back on Monday for the trial. We sat around for hours, went to lunch, came back, & then they told us that both parties had settled. It was a civil case, dr vs insurance company. I was surprised they picked me for the jury, b/c I said I'd had bad experiences with doctors, and had a homeowner's policy with the insurance company. I guess they figured I could keep an open mind.

Interesting side note: one of the people in the jury pool was a granddaughter of William Kunstler. She's a midwife, and was trying desperately to get out of being selected. This included mentioning her grandfather in hopes of getting excused. She wasn't chosen for that case, but had to come back the next day anyway. Brooklyn requires you to do two days minimum in the pool.