Old 06-28-2007, 10:45 PM   #1
PCwombat
Knitting the Flap

New crocheter!
Last night, I was bored, so I decided to learn how to crochet. I already knew how to make a chain stitch, it was just the other ones that threw me for a while. But, I've been watching Uncommon Threads lately, and the crochet patterns on it help me to understand where I was confused.

So, last night, I found a random flower pattern to try out my new skill, and I did it! And, it's so easy! I think part of that's because I already know how to hold the yarn because of knitting.

So, now I'm making this baby blanket for friends of the family who are due in September. The colors I'm using are light blue, blue, dark blue, and black. I already have six rounds done!
PCwombat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-29-2007, 12:23 AM   #2
Phretys
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to Phretys
That's awesome! It's always fun succeeding with something new. The color combo sounds great - I know my daughter would approve, since she's on a blue kick at the moment.

I learned crochet first, and that knowledge helped me learn knitting - the opposite order that you learned. I think it's really handy knowing how to do both.

Debi
Phretys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phretys For This Useful Post:
PCwombat (06-29-2007)
Old 06-29-2007, 02:20 AM   #3
aineepooh1
Working the Gusset

YEAH for you... I just learned to crochet too myself and I it.. It's so fast and easy.. I prefer hdc (half double crochet) b/c I get twice the stitches of single crochet with half the effort of double crochet~! Im' lovin' it...
I love my knitting but I am discovering for larger projects (IMHO) crochet is just sooooooooooooo much faster ..
I love them both..
I am torn between two lovers..~!
PCwombat (06-29-2007)
Old 06-29-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
PCwombat
Knitting the Flap

Phretys, I definitely agree about knowing both skills. I would see a pattern that had even a crochet border, and because of that, I wouldn't attempt it. But now, I can add all kinds of stuff to embellish my knitting (well, maybe once I get a bit better ).

I know what you mean, aineepooh1, the idea of making a huge knit blanket now sounds so overwhelming.
PCwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
tonguetied
Casting On

Good to hear you're getting pretty well with crocheting.. I know quite a bit of knitting and is now trying to learn crocheting. But I find it difficult to handle. My hands are just out of my control O_O.. I'm supposed to keep the yarn in place with my index finger and hold the piece with my thumb and middle finger, right?? But it turns out I'd hold the yarn with both my index and middle fingers.. that's strange and makes the whole thing slow..

And there's one thing I need help.. I'm trying to make a rosette http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-rosettes.html. I just can't read the instructions of row 2... please help...

~YOyo*
tonguetied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:49 AM   #6
FiberFreak
Casting On

The thing I love about crochet besides being fast is that both sides are beautiful! I enjoy making totes in crochet with left over yarn because it goes so quickly. Of course the totes are for....ufos!
FiberFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:24 AM   #7
marykz
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by tonguetied View Post

And there's one thing I need help.. I'm trying to make a rosette http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-rosettes.html. I just can't read the instructions of row 2... please help...

~YOyo*
your first round had a series of Ch1 places which are called ch1-sp or chain 1 space.

Row 2 Ch 3 counts as dc, Chain 3
5 dc first in ch-space, Do 5 double crochet in the first space of the row below.

*sc in next ch-1 space, 6 dc in next ch-1 space shell st made; repeat from *, do a single in next chain 1 space, then do 6 double crochet in the following ch1 space; repeat this (sc then 6 dc) almost to the end

ending 6 dc in last ch-1 space 6 (16, 25) shells. In the last chain 1 space , do 6 double crochet

Fasten off, leaving long tail for anchoring Rosette.
HTH

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:03 AM   #8
tonguetied
Casting On

Thx marykz! Now everything is clear to me!! That really helps!
tonguetied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:22 AM   #9
DonnaS
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to DonnaS Send a message via MSN to DonnaS Send a message via Yahoo to DonnaS
Quote:
I'm supposed to keep the yarn in place with my index finger and hold the piece with my thumb and middle finger, right?? But it turns out I'd hold the yarn with both my index and middle fingers.. that's strange and makes the whole thing slow..
If that works for you there is no right or wrong.. as long as you get the same finished product. It may be slow until you get more accomplished at it.. just practice practice practice
My Yarn Stash is a Treasure Chest!

~ Nothing in life so bad it can't be solved with an afternoon of yarn shopping... and a great sale! ~

DonnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:31 PM   #10
LeslieA
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LeslieA Send a message via MSN to LeslieA Send a message via Yahoo to LeslieA
Hi everyone...I am so glad Amy added crochet to this site....I have been a knitter (not a good one) for a while...but I have always been fascinated with crochet and for some reason I just can't get the hang of it...duh....it seems so simple...Anyways I was just enjoying reading all of your crochet posts...oh and I also have a blog on here too....thanks for sharing....

Maybe I'll get my hooks out....hmmmm
3: Various.....
LeslieA is offline   Reply With Quote