Old 06-28-2007, 11:25 PM   #1
dovey
Ribbing the Cuff

Any sewers on?
I am looking to buy a sewing machine. I would like something moderately priced. Any advice as to brands or even specific models? Thanks!
dovey is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-28-2007, 11:48 PM   #2
Silver
Instepping Out

Oh boy.. so many to choose from! There are a lot of good machines out there. I love my Janome though.

When you say "moderately priced", how moderate? Less than say, $500? Or $1000? $3000? There's a huge range of machines everywhere from $150 to $10000.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:54 PM   #3
dovey
Ribbing the Cuff

i was thinking in the 100-200 price range
I am a beginner, for sure
Old 06-29-2007, 05:48 AM   #4
Nobones
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to Nobones
I recommend 'Brother' I have a 'Brother super ace 3', and it's S***t hot, but I do do a LOT of sewing, (See signature). At a college course I went to they all had the basic Brother model, and they went through some hard times with those students yet never failed. They are very robust. You can pick up a 'Brother' from $135 - well a lot for the top of the range.

The basic one's come with a good amount of stitches on them and I think for a beginner you couldn't ask for a stronger more forgiving machine.

Make sure when you get it, you get a couple of lessons. The shop I got mine from gave out a free hour's lesson. I know a few shops do that but I don't know about the US (which where I assume you are?)

So what kind of things are you planning to sew? I love sewing it's my first love, I taught myself from scratch on an antique 'Singer'! If you ever get stuck let me know, I'd be happy to help.

My dress & costume making website-
www.gothwardian.co.uk

'Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work'. -Aristotle

Nobones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:42 AM   #5
knit4u
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi dovery,
Nice to meet you..That's great you are a beginner sewer. I've been sewing since I was in Jr. HS & made my first "gathered skirt". LOL. I actualkly leanred on my mother's 1040's Singer machine & in 1969 (the yr I got engaged to the man I've been married to for 37 yrs!) he gave me a White sewing machine for Christmas. I used that machine for everything...and in 2001, he bought me the top of the lline Husqvarna Viking. White & Viking are under the same ownership now & they have wonderful machines for all purposes. I don't know much about Brother, but from reading comments made on other bulletin boards, it is a great machine..What type of sewing are you interested in? Some gals like to sew apparel & of course there is home decorating. They also have machines that do have embroidery capabilities.
Good luck researching & let us know what you decided on!
Have good day
Veronica
Old 06-29-2007, 08:47 AM   #6
ironmaiden
Knitting the Flap

I have a Singer Simple - it was around $100 and it serves. I'm a beginner as well so I didn't want to spend too much and regret it.

I think going with something in the $100-200 range is a good idea for a beginner - anything cheaper and you're not going to get what you need most likely, anything more expensive and you may get more than you wanted lol.

OTN: Evangeline, Criss-cross cable scarf, Cabled sweater, Malabrigo drop stitch scarf
ironmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:43 AM   #7
Silver
Instepping Out

I would recommend a Brother before a Singer. I have a little Singer Featherweight II (not the classic old black machine, this is a "new" Featherweight) and have always had issues with it. Sooo frustrating!

Also, before you go buy retail, check Craigslist in your area or the classifieds in your paper. Sewing machines are often in the classifieds and you can get a great deal. I bought my Janome through Craigslist. It's a $3000 machine, I paid $400. You may get more machine than you know what to do with, but that's a good thing!

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:08 AM   #8
hunterjenn
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to hunterjenn Send a message via Yahoo to hunterjenn
Believe it or not, I recommend Kenmore (from Sears) if you're in the US. I learned on a 30yo Kenmore, and I've had mine now for about 10 years. Never had a problem with either one!
*Isabella from Spring Knitty
*Striped hoodie from Nursery Knits
*Tomato from Knitting Daily
I'm hunterjenn on Ravelry. Come find me!

hunterjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:19 AM   #9
marykz
Working the Gusset

I agree with hunterjenn- my new kenmore (about $200) is a workhorse! I took a sewing class at my local JoAnns trying to get my old machine up and running, and the kenmore is what she recommended for a beginner. it does everything I could possible need for the projects I want to do. It came with all the appropriate presser feet for zippers, button holes, and blind hems.

I knew I didn't need 1800 stitch settings or computerized free quilting/ embroidery patterns and all that lovely stuff, b/c it is so unlikely I'll ever get that good. And if I do, I'll buy one then.

And believe it or not, kenmore and Janome are made by the same manufacturers.... (according to my class teacher).

HTH, MKZ

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #10
dovey
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks guys! I want the machine to alter clothes, make various projects, and maybe make curtains one day! I went to a Joann's but I didn't get very good information from the sales lady. She was under commision for Viking and basically trashed all the other brands.