Old 07-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
Riss
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Riss
Knitting too tight?
Hey everyone,

I literally, just started knitting today. I'm a crocheter by nature... but I've been working at it for about 6 hours now (off and on, as my fingers allow) and all i have to show for it is a little swatch of knitted rows. I cast on 10, and have like 5 or 6 rows.

But the issue I have that I think might be slowing me down is that its really really tight. I'm using the only needles I could find, and they seem to be the same width as my size G crochet hook. I'm using RH SS yarn.

What am I doing wrong? It gets so hard sometimes that I have to work the right in a twisting motion just to get it into the stitch.

Its frustrating. In the same time it's taken me to do this little 1.5in x .5in thing... I could have done 12 more rows on my ripple afghan in crochet.

Help?

Thanks...

--Riss
Riss is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-02-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Try to relax your forearms, hands...breathe!....and don't hold the yarn and/or needles too tight. (Common with new knitters.) This will come with practice (you just started today!).

cam
Old 07-02-2007, 01:59 PM   #3
Krystal
Turning the Heel

Well, you could try going up a needle size. Since you said it's about the same width as a G I would say you are using a size 7 needle give or take. I don't recognize that yarn tho. Do you know the weight? If it is a worsted weight or higher you could try a size 8-10 needle to help loosen the stitches. Or, try a lighter yarn to go with the needles.

I have never crocheted myself, but I have learned how to knit less than a year ago, and I totally get how frustrating it can be. Probably more so for you tho since you are used to zipping through with crotchet. All you can do is stick with it, eventually you will create your own nook and comfort zone with knitting.

good luck.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:08 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Loosening up comes with practice, but there's a few tips. Don't tug on the yarn after you've made a stitch; try different ways of threading it through your fingers. If you're holding the yarn the same way you crochet, that could be pretty tight - it is for me.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:09 PM   #5
Riss
Knitting the Flap

Its Red Heart Super Saver, worsted medium weight. I'm kind of at a disadvantage because these are the only needles I have (somehow i've inherited like 10 pairs of the same size needles). I'd go out and get some, but I can't drive thanks to a lovely broken leg. But i'm planning on going to AC Moore tonight. So I should try larger needles? Is it easier to learn using a thicker yarn? I just wanna soak it all up... but its going so slow that is frustrating. :P
Old 07-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #6
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

I am impressed that you are taking on knitting, don't get too frustrated, it took me a few years to stop knitting so tight. I knit more cotton dishclothes than a person can use in a lifetime. I found I did better with smaller projects that I could complete and change colors often enough that I didn't get bored. Plus, dishcloths don't reeaaalllyyy have to be on gauge.

If I remember red heart is a size 8 needle so that may help a little, when in doubt go large and let it drape. I'm going to guess that as you pull your loop over you are pulling too tight.

Just keep practicing.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

It is easier to learn to knit with larger needles and easier to see the stitches too. I'd suggest buying a size 9 or 10.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #8
Krystal
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Riss View Post
Its Red Heart Super Saver, worsted medium weight. I'm kind of at a disadvantage because these are the only needles I have (somehow i've inherited like 10 pairs of the same size needles). I'd go out and get some, but I can't drive thanks to a lovely broken leg. But i'm planning on going to AC Moore tonight. So I should try larger needles? Is it easier to learn using a thicker yarn? I just wanna soak it all up... but its going so slow that is frustrating. :P
That's too bad about the lack of mobility. I am stuck till pay day simply because I don't drive at all, so going out shopping only happens once every 2 weeks here.

But red heart typically uses an 8 or larger needle, with practice you can work the smaller needle size and not have it be as tight.

They recommended learning knitting on a size 10 needle with a worsted weight yarn. That wasn't true for me, or the girl I taught. I found a size 7 needle with a lighter yarn was really easy, or even still the size 10 needles with a bulky yarn.

Maybe it was because the yarn was such a mess because of the bulk I wasn't so concerned with how it knitted up, but the very first thing I knitted was a bulky scarf.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:32 PM   #9
Riss
Knitting the Flap

You guys are so awesome... Thank you so much for your responses...

I've put up some pictures on my blog if you wanna see...

I guess I'll have to pick up some size 10 needles and a chunkier yarn. I have tons of cotton yarn too... I think I'm going to try that next...

http://carusancillo.blogspot.com/
Old 07-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Wait no! Use the 10s with the RH. Even though it's not the `recommended yarn' it will still knit up fine and not be too loose. If you use a bulky yarn with the 10s, it'll be tight. Oh and don't keep starting over and over again, that's a sure way to get frustrated and may cause you to knit even tighter. Just let it go if you goof, and keep on with it. After a few more rows you may begin to relax and your stitches will loosen up. Just do a sampler for your first time. Knit a few inches in garter (knit or purl every row), then add a purl rows alternating with a knit row (that's stockinette) and then go back to knitting every row.