Old 07-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #1
farrah
Ribbing the Cuff

New and have a couple of questions =)
Hi! I'm new and am already confused. I'm hoping that my newbie question won't sound sooo dumb =)

Ok...so I'm trying to knit a hat and I have a pattern and I'm already lost...so much for "easy-peasy" hee hee.

Here is what it says:

for the body part, it's basically 85 stitches in a rectangle...ok...got that.

then for the cap part, it says:
row 1 knit 19, then K2tog* repeat * for 81 stitches total
row 2 (and all wrong sides) knit
row 3 knit 18, then K2tog* repeat *
row 5 knit 17, then K2tog* repeat *
and so on....

I'm having a hard time visualizing this and when I add it up, I get different numbers for the total stitches. Also, why do I knit the wrong sides (as opposed to decreasing these ones as well)?

Can anyone advise me, or at least tell me that I'm such a newbie and reading way more into it than I should! hee hee =) Thanks so much.

Farrah
farrah is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-02-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

The number of stitches accounted for in the first decrease row is NOT evenly divided into your 85 stitches, so you're right to be confused!!

What you could do instead is start your first decrease row like this:

*Knit 15, K2tog; repeat across.

This way, each of these segments of the row (ie. each K15, K2tog) uses up 17 stitches, and 85/17 = 5, so you would repeat the K15, K2tog 5 times and that would use up all the stitches in your row.

Then knit the wrong side.

Then K14, K2tog across

Knit wrong side

K13, K2tog across

etc.

You are asked to knit the wrong side rows rather than decreasing those as well because you would end up decreasing too quickly if the k2tog's were done on both right side and wrong side, and the crown of your hat would be too small, therefore the hat would wind up shorter than it's supposed to.

Hope that helps!
The Following User Says Thank You to knitqueen For This Useful Post:
UnspeakableJoy (07-03-2007)
Old 07-02-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
farrah
Ribbing the Cuff

thank you! =)
That's so helpful...thank you =) I must be getting better at this, since I understood your response more than my question!

farrah
Old 07-03-2007, 12:42 AM   #4
Loutie
Casting On

What sized needles
Hi Farrah!

I'm a newbie also and was too shy to post, but your question renewed my courage.

I plan to knit a hat to match a scarf that I made (self taught 1st finished project ) Right now I'm knitting dish cloths...

My question is: What needles are you using for your hat? I bought 16" size 11 circular in advance for this future project and they just look

Like I said I put the "new" in newbie and I never worked with circulars.

Loutie
Loutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:48 AM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
NO QUESTION IS TOO DUMB!!!!!

We've all had these same questions at one time or another and the same ones pop up again and again. They're not dumb questions--they just prove that great minds think alike.

Now what's this dumb question you have about the circ?:rofling:

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:02 AM   #6
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Hi,

The instructions you have with your pattern make good sense. Knitting 19 and then 2 tog turns out with one stitch left on the end that is knit. Since you have to seam your hat up that stitch will be eaten up in the seam so it should come out perfectly with 19 stitches between the decreases all around. The other rows will turn out the same way with an edge stitch, but when you seam it everything will be even.

What KnitQueen said will work too, but knitting 19 will produce 4 decreases in a row and knitting 15 will end up with 5 decreases in a row, so the top of the hat will pull in faster than your pattern calls for, not that that won't work, it will, but it will be different than the one you are looking at in your pattern. Also 15 fits into 85 with the last K2tog right at the end of the row, so you don't have a seam stitch, so that one segment will be one stitch smaller than the others. This is not to lose sleep over though, and will probably not be noticed. I just mean to point out that the pattern is well written and makes good sense.

You asked about why you don't decrease on every row. You can if you like, but the designer didn't do his/hers that way. With hats you can do just about anything you want and get a hat of some sort, some better than others. :-) I've seen hats that decrease all in one row, or don't decrease at all, anything is possible. That is why hats are such fun to do and to just make up as you go along. But if you desire a hat to turn out like one pictured with a pattern it is probably best to do what they did, at least until you gain enough experience to know what will happen if you don't, or how to get their result an alternate way.

Merigold
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:45 PM   #7
farrah
Ribbing the Cuff

Loutie
Hi Loutie-

Glad i'm not the only newbie around =) I'm also self taught and have actually completed 2 whole scarves...and one was in fun fur...so I consider that to be slightly advanced, since it's harder to see than just the redular yarn =)

I'm using size 10 straight needles...not the circular kind...those scare me =) So...from my limited knowledge...with the straight ones, you have to sew the hat in the back, while with the circular ones, you can make the hat seamless.

Farrah
Old 07-03-2007, 12:48 PM   #8
farrah
Ribbing the Cuff

Merigold and knitqueen
I think I figured out how to do the decreases...and you're right Merigold...it doesn't matter how many are left at the end or if they come out even, since it gets sewn at the end....also, with the plan of 19, k2tog, *repeat and then 18, k2tog * repeat, etc...type, there will be very few rows that come out exactly even anyways...so there are some left overs. (if that makes sense)...anyways...so far so good. =)

thanks again for all the help!

Farrah