Old 07-03-2007, 10:10 PM   #21
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts

I've never smoked, but I watched my mom kick the habit...several times...

She kept starting back because she would gain weight. She finally stopped smoking when she figured out that chewing bubble gum helped fight the urge to light one up. I remember when she came back from the doctor about two or three years later, and they told her that her lungs showed absolutely no signs of her smoking for all of those years.

The end will be so worth it! Hang in there!!

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-03-2007, 10:22 PM   #22
Feef
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Knitting_Guy View Post
ACK! I blew my just over a week quit tonight. This really is hard.
I've quit bad things before, but nothing was as hard as this. Stoopithead tobacco companies put something like 300 chemicals in them so we'll stay addicted. Or so the story goes.

Oops, sorry...it's not their fault I smoke.

I'm sorry you smoked again, but thank you for the honesty. Funny...I don't judge you, but I'm judging the heck outta' me.

Feef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:26 PM   #23
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Allow yourself lapses. It's like dieting...old habits are hard to change.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:29 AM   #24
blueeyes28
Turning the Heel

Think of all the hours or days you didn't smoke as the big picture.Also when I was quiting one thing that helped for a while was once I got to a point where the cravings were in check I bought a pack of ciggs and had my boyfriend at the time hide them and if I felt like I was going to go crazy for one he would give me one,the first night I had 2 but after that I did better it helped my anxiety to know they were there if I felt I couldn't do it.
blueeyes28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:30 PM   #25
annomalley
Knitting the Flap

I lurk here, but I have to delurk to give all of you guys who are quitting a big ol "hang in there" and don't give up, even if you slip (and it's okay if you slip). I've been in your shoes, too. I tried to quit several times myself, but I finally did it with Wellbutrin. On September 23 of this year, it will be three years since I smoked a cigarette. I had tried pretty much everything else to quit before that, and I was glad I found something that worked for me.

Have any of you ever thought about changing your daily routines (all or part)? One thing that I think helped me out a lot when I finally quit was that at the same time, I also moved, so not only was I moving into a new place that didn't smell like cigarette smoke, but the disruption of having to pack and move also threw a wrench into my daily routine enough that when I was settled in the new place, I had to create a whole new routine. I know that all the other times I tried to quit, I had a very, very hard time giving up the first thing in the morning cigarette, the after meal cigarette, and the driving in the car cigarette. It's the mental part of smoking that is the hardest to break, and that's what did me in the other times I tried quitting, too.

If that doesn't work, just think of how much more yarn you can buy with all the money you're saving by not buying cigarettes. :D

Good luck to all of you. You can do it!
annomalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:52 AM   #26
leedsfan
1st Leg of the Journey

Well done for you,i gave up 15 years ago,i picked a day,made sure that all fags were gone,when ever i felt a craving i ate or knitted,after a week it did not bother me,my hubby smokes and some of my friends do.I am glad i gave up.
leedsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:05 AM   #27
ironmaiden
Knitting the Flap

You can definitely do it. I quit in March of 2006 and never looked back. It was the best thing I ever did for myself.

I think the mental component is the hardest part - you just have to be strong as hell during those moments and they will pass.

OTN: Evangeline, Criss-cross cable scarf, Cabled sweater, Malabrigo drop stitch scarf
ironmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:46 AM   #28
larudden
Knitting the Flap

I haven't had a cigarette since Saturday night and I crave one just about every second!

There have been lots of times this week when I've been tempted to go out and buy a pack. Man! It's crazy but I just LOVE the whole act of smoking. I don't know why but I just do.................

I was smoking maybe 4 or 5 a day, which I thought wasn't bad. Some days it would be more, some days less.

Every once in a while I "quit." Then I start feeling anxious and panicky and so I buy a pack.

I never smoke at work and never in the car. It's just at home, outside by the pool.

What is UP with that?
larudden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:22 AM   #29
suecq
1st Leg of the Journey

Quiting is hard, but well worth the effort. Kudos to you.