Old 07-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
Silver
Instepping Out

Men & Pedicures... your thoughts?
My nail salon gives the bestest pedicures ever. I LOVE getting my pedicures. I always rave to DH about how nice it is and I almost fall asleep in the chair cause it's sooooo damn relaxing. The massaging chair is incredible!

So, I told him that next time I go (next week), I'm taking him with me and he needs to get a pedicure too. It would do him good cause he drives all day and his driving leg is always tired n sore. Plus he picks his toenails () and I think he'd like having someone else take care of them.

Although he agrees the massage would be wonderful, and the chair sounds great, he's not sure if he wants to have it done. I guess it's a MAN thing. :rollseyes: But honestly, I know he'd really enjoy it.

Do any of your male SO's (significant others), or you male knitters, ever get pedicures? What does a woman think of a guy who gets pedicures? Help me convince him that there's nothing to be shy about!

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-03-2007, 12:30 PM   #2
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
I've seen a few guys getting manicures when I've been at the nail salon (and they look like they're pretty manly men). They don't get polish or anything but its just to make their hands nice. I think a pedicure would be the same thing. Its not like he has to get pink polish or anything.
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
marykz
Working the Gusset

LOL- i WISH he'd get one, but the one time I suggested it, DH looked at me like I'd fallen from another planet.

Seriously guys- if its sandal season- get a pedi!!!

Some of the younger (25-ish) guys at work I know get them. there's no nail polish or anything involved- just good grooming.

and I agree they are soooo relaxing and good for my mental health. (suddenly I feel the need to go visit my spa...)

several nail places near us have sort of secluded pedi areas so the men don't feel too self conscious- maybe you could see if your place does that too? good luck and it would be a nice relaxing couple-thing/ date time.

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
nonny2t
Instepping Out

It's not easy to convince a man to go out of his comfort zone and do something unusual. I know my husband would probably not do it and I am not sure he would enjoy it frankly. Not all men or women for that matter like having their feet messed with at all.

I don't particularly like pedicures myself. I would not press the issue frankly, though invite hime when you go and see if he will.
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:57 PM   #5
LibraryLady
1st Leg of the Journey

My SO gets them. He has horrible calluses and prefers to have someone else work on them. His feet are oddly shaped (very wide front, very narrow heel) and consequently grow the calluses to fit into his shoes.

He's talked many guys into getting pedicures by stating the virtues of getting the nails properly cut, the massage and the calluses worked on. I guess most men think manicures and pedicures are all about the polish and don't realize there is so much more to it than that.

Of all the guys I know who get it, they are diehard converts and absolutely love it!

LL
LibraryLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:13 PM   #6
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Nah, I don't think that's for me. Most of us guys just don't care enough about such things to go to the bother.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:15 PM   #7
JoeE
1st Leg of the Journey

I've never had one, but I'd love to. I'm a little chicken about being an interloper in what feels like women's territory--which explains part of my reticence about going to a LYS (although I am getting better about that). I've met a few ultra-far-left-wing feminists in my extended community circle who have let me know in no uncertain terms that some women do NOT appreciate men intruding into their environment, so I tend to be cautious about assuming I'd be welcome. It's not so much a matter of fear as it is respect for their need for a safe place.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #8
beckyrhae
Turning the Heel

I was a hairstylist for 12 years and while I didn't do that many pedicures once I was out of school I had a wonderful gentleman that got pedi's from me every other week. He was quite elderly and unable to take good care of his feet on his own... He LOVED getting pampered. He was so thankful he made my little girl the cutest pull toy. It was a duck that he hand carved and the wheels had rubber feet so it made the greatest sound when you pulled it. I still treasure that duck.

My stepdad gets pedi's from my mom. He has been to a couple of salons, but feels more comfortable when myself or my mom do them at home.

My DH isnt too into the pedi idea, but he has done it a couple of times.

The Knitting Barista

The Sheeps Tale

KnittingBarista on Ravelry
beckyrhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:56 PM   #9
Silver
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by nonny2t View Post
I don't particularly like pedicures myself. I would not press the issue frankly, though invite hime when you go and see if he will.
I did invite him, and he's not totally turned off to the idea. But he's not all to eager either. It's not like he doesn't like having his feet worked on, I've given him pedicures at home and he loves them. It's just getting one in public that he's not excited about. Even though they do a way better job than I do.

Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
Of all the guys I know who get it, they are diehard converts and absolutely love it!
That's encouraging. I think it would be cool if he got them from time to time.

Originally Posted by JoeE View Post
I've never had one, but I'd love to. I'm a little chicken about being an interloper in what feels like women's territory--which explains part of my reticence about going to a LYS (although I am getting better about that). I've met a few ultra-far-left-wing feminists in my extended community circle who have let me know in no uncertain terms that some women do NOT appreciate men intruding into their environment, so I tend to be cautious about assuming I'd be welcome. It's not so much a matter of fear as it is respect for their need for a safe place.
Hmmmm... interesting. I've never seen a man to scoff at me when I walk into a sports bar or pool hall. Those "ultra-far-left-wing feminists" do not speak for all women. Fair is fair. If I can come to your pool hall, you can come to my nail salon.

My nail salon isn't all girly-girly though. They offer a full range of services including waxing. They have regular male clients for chest/back waxing n such, although that's taken care of in a back room.

Thanks for the input everyone!! I'll let you know if I can convince him.. and what he thinks of it if he comes.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
larudden
Knitting the Flap

I wish my husband would get one! He picks at his toenails which drives me CRAZY and then he leaves the nails on the table! UGH! How gross is THAT???????????????
Anyhow, I've told him before that he should have a manicure because he's always working on his car or motorcycle and his nails are always cruddy. He says guys are supposed to have dirty nails. I don't THINK so..........................

What a nut but I adore him..............
larudden is offline   Reply With Quote