Old 07-10-2007, 02:40 PM   #31
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,908 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
What is done when you have a pedicure? My wife gets them every once in a while.
Well, it might be a bit different at each spa, but here's what they do at mine:

You sit in a massaging chair, and soak your feet in warm soapy water that has water-jets that massage your feet. (I'd be happy with just this part.)

Next, they trim your nails, file them, and work on your toenail cuticles. Then, they use a special scrubber to work on your callouses. One foot is still soaking while the other is being worked on, then each foot is placed back in the water after it's worked on.

Next, they have you dip your feet in hot wax, then cover them with plastic. When the wax gets hard, they remove it, and massage lotion into your feet and legs. (I really like this part too.)

Then they put on nail polish.

My husband really enjoyed getting his feet worked on, and tells people about it all the time now. He says that he had been missing out on a special treat all his life. I'm glad he enjoys it, because his feet really needed the attention. He couldn't trim them well himself, and he had lots of dry skin and callouses on them. Now, I LOVE to play footsie with him.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
Jeremy (07-10-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-10-2007, 07:28 PM   #32
Silver
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by KnitClickChick View Post
:rollseyes: I think it is silly for a man to wax any part of his body.
I don't think it's silly. I don't think hairy chests are attractive and appreciate men who take care of themselves. However, my DH would never wax any part of his body. lol Fortunately, he's not very hairy at all.

Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
What is done when you have a pedicure? My wife gets them every once in a while.
What Shandeh said. Mine doesn't do the hot wax though, they do a full massage on my lower legs, ankles and feet though. Pedicures are not about the nail polish, it's just the finishing touch.

Originally Posted by Shandeh View Post
Next, they have you dip your feet in hot wax, then cover them with plastic. When the wax gets hard, they remove it,
Um.. my salon doesn't do the hot wax part. :?eyebrow: Next time I'm comin to your place!

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:20 PM   #33
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

It's actually a paraffin wax, and it smells peachy. I love it!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:25 AM   #34
Rorshach
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Rorshach Send a message via Yahoo to Rorshach
Well to be perfectly honest, Kristin, I've never had one done, but that's not to say I wouldn't ever. I would go because it's a new experience, and then return (or not) based on the experience.

As far as straight men having all the answers or thinking they do, unfortunately, in many cases this is correct, however, reserving it for one specific type of gender seems to say that those of other types of gender, seems extremely biased. After all, can one say they know every particular person in which they've stereotyped? And that's all I'm going to say on the matter.

Wisdom is knowing what to do. Skill is how to do it. Virtue is getting it done.

That which does not kill you, isn't trying hard enough.
Rorshach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:58 PM   #35
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Rorshach, you are 100% correct. Each of us is an individual, with differences so bizarre, there would be no way to categorize or stereotype us!!!

I mean, just because you're a woman, doesn't mean you'll act a certain way. The same with men.

I've seen some men who would start a fight over a look. I've seen other men who are afraid to look at anyone. Women are all different as well. Some people say women are weaklings, but I've seen some women that could beat up The Terminator!

And I've met LOTS of women who think they have all the answers.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:05 PM   #36
Riss
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Riss
My mom makes my 12yro brother get one every few months. His feet are NASTY, and its the only way to get them truly squeaky clean. But he loves it. He always asks to go again. He's gonna make some girl happy some day
"Super green."
-The Fifth Element

Rissymur on Ravelry
Riss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:38 PM   #37
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Wow! He's getting trained WELL!
Old 07-14-2007, 09:49 AM   #38
geekgolightly
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by JoeE View Post
I've never had one, but I'd love to. I'm a little chicken about being an interloper in what feels like women's territory--which explains part of my reticence about going to a LYS (although I am getting better about that). I've met a few ultra-far-left-wing feminists in my extended community circle who have let me know in no uncertain terms that some women do NOT appreciate men intruding into their environment, so I tend to be cautious about assuming I'd be welcome. It's not so much a matter of fear as it is respect for their need for a safe place.
if people need that sort of safe space, it should be a support group. places of business are not segregated by gender. please don't think that women are thinking that when you are in an LYS. most of us are delighted and curious. i've only gotten a mani pedi once, and there was a guy in there and i wasn't the least bit disturbed, nor was anyone else.