Old 07-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
letah75
Working the Gusset

Can't handle the heat...
Ok, today is cooler than yesterday. Yesterday at my house it hit 112 degrees...today it will only hit 106.

I'm dying! Yesterday I napped (and I NEVER nap) from 12:30 p.m. to 3:45 p.m., then got up, went to the living room lay on the floor while apparently doing a wonderful immitation of a jungle gym (Little jr. crawling all over me), slept some more. Slept all night, was groggy what little time I was awake.

Today is slightly better, but I've never been drained like this with the heat. I've lived here about 9 years now, and usually I do ok if slightly miserable. But man all of a sudden I can't handle it.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
LibraryLady
1st Leg of the Journey

Are you getting enough fluids? Preferably straight water or something with electrolytes, ie. Gatorade or Pedialyte? Fruit juices with no added sugar is good too. Stay away from caffeine if you can, it's a diuretic.

Try cold showers a couple times a day to cool off your skin... I do this right before bed, helps me to sleep when it's hot.

Please take care - I've had heat exhaustion and it's no fun!

LL
LibraryLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
gamerchik
Knitting the Flap

Ohhh you poor thing. And I thought it was hot HERE! I was in a little golf tournament yesterday and it was 102 degrees and for a while, I thought I was going to puke. I hate the heat.

DH and I have agreed about how the heat always makes us feel tired and lethargic.

You can get these long snakelike things at Wal-mart in the Sports section for a couple of bucks each that you refrigerate and then drape around your neck. The cold lasts a long time and you wouldn't BELIEVE how much they cool you down and perk you up.

I looked up a couple of links for you, if you're interested in trying them. I swear by them!

http://www.amazon.com/Cool-Downz-Dow...3756816&sr=8-2
http://www.amazon.com/HeatMax-EverCo...3756816&sr=8-3

I hope this helps!!! Hang in there.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
letah75
Working the Gusset

Thanks! Those are cool!

I found a portable mister that I can take with me, and it helps a bit. Man I've never liked the heat, but yesterday was crazy. I've never been that unable to do anything. I've been drinking water and gatoraid like crazy, I know I'm dehydrated as (sorry if this is TMI) I have been downing liquid and didn't have to use the bathroom until about 15 minutes ago (2:45 p.m. here).

By tomorrow it's supposed to be about 100 something, and by next Tuesday it should be down to high 90's.

I'm just glad I don't live in Baker, CA where it his 122 yesterday.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #5
jjminarcik
Turning the Heel

Hang in there! It gets really hot here with high humidity. I drink lots of water and take cool showers!

OTN: Socks, socks, socks
My first sweater

jjminarcik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:55 PM   #6
zazzu
1st Leg of the Journey

Quote:
Yesterday I napped (and I NEVER nap) from 12:30 p.m. to 3:45 p.m., then...slept some more. Slept all night, was groggy what little time I was awake.
Sweetie, it sounds like you have a bug of some kind and the intense heat is just making it that much more uncomfortable. So, take it easy. If you need to sleep, then sleep. And keep drinking water and Gatorade and juices till your urine is light yellow (ahem).

Okay, here endeth the lecture.
zazzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:29 AM   #7
AnnaT
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post

Try cold showers a couple times a day to cool off your skin... I do this right before bed, helps me to sleep when it's hot.

LL

I do this too, and sometimes just stick my head under a cold faucet and wet my hair, then leave it to air dry.

I agree with Zazzu, though--you might have a little bug.
AnnaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #8
KnitClickChick
Turning the Heel

Oh my, I complain when it is 80 degrees!!! Wow, that is hot!! Lots of fluids should help. Hope you cool down soon!

I hate the heat, I get awful headaches in the summer. Fortunately so far this summer it hasn't been too bad (western PA), but when I do get too hot, I stick my head under cold water to soak my hair, and let it run down and get my shirt wet. Then I sit in front of the AC for a few minutes, and that helps.
I also like to make my own fruit smoothies, and my version of Starbucks frappucino. Those always cool me down, because there is ice in them.

Wish List
Clapotis
Another felted bag
Mrs. Beetons Wristwarmers

On The Needles:
Silver's Palindrome Scarf - in Patons SWS Natural Pink
Feather and Fan Shawl - in Estelle Cadenza
KnitClickChick is offline   Reply With Quote