Old 07-04-2007, 12:34 PM   #1
Riss
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Riss
Stuck again...
Okay, so I'm attempting a k2 p2 ribbing. But something has gone seriously wrong. Maybe it's just my inexperience...

I started by casting on 24, because you work it in multiples of 4 right?
I did a k2p2 all the way across. Then I turned it, and did a k2p2 all the way across. Then I noticed that I had 25 loops. I got a little confused, asked my mom, and she said its my working loop, and to just knit it, then continue on with the pattern. I did this all for 2 more rows, and i'm seriously not seeing anything remotely like ribbing. It just looks like a jumbled mess.

I've tried watching all the videos and stuff to see if maybe I missed something... but I can't find anything... *sigh*

Here is the whole thing...

And here is a bit of a close up...

Sorry for the crummy image quality. Its a cheap digital camera :(

Thanks for all of your help you guys... you're saving me from hours of frustration and ugliness!

--Riss
Riss is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-04-2007, 12:55 PM   #2
leslie979
Ribbing the Cuff

I dont know about the extra loop but if you cast on 24 st you should have 24 on the needle. Sometimes when I knit into the wrong part of the stitch I end up with an extra loop. As far as the ribbing when you turn make sure you are knitting the knits and purling the purls. Cuz on the opposite side the knits are gonna be purls and vice versa you cant just k2 p2 on every side. If your first side is k2 p2 the opposite side will be p2 k2.
leslie979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
At the beginning of the row, if your yarn strand is up over the top of the needle, you get what looks like 2 sts instead of 1. That's probably what got you off. When you turn, pull the loose yarn off to the side, then begin knitting. And after you have the first row done, knit the knit stitches and purl the purl stitches on the row you're doing and everything should come out alright.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #4
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Riss,

It's a little hard to be sure what I'm seeing with the pictures, but it looks like you could have a few things going on there. Have you done ribbing before? You need to make certain that you always have the yarn in back when you are doing the two knits and then move the yarn between the needles to the front to do the two purls. Then back again for the knits. If you fail to do this you will get some unwanted yarn overs which add stitches and foul up your ribbing. (Been there done that and know it drives you crazy as a beginner.)

I also wondered if I detected a place where you knitted 2 together. Be very careful as you go.

If you have a multiple of 4 (24 qualifies) you should be able to start each row with the K2 every time. But make sure you keep a steady 24 and aren't losing or gaining stitches somehow. As the others said after you get the pattern established (first row is very important for that reason), you will always be knitting the knits and purling the purls. Once you get a few rows going you will be able to see it all coming easier. Be very careful that you have the yarn in back when knitting and in front for the purling. Merigold
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:43 PM   #5
redwitch
Working the Gusset

When knitting flat, every row k2p2... across will in fact give you ribbing (for multiples of 4). The problem is most likely the fact that you have been knitting with 25 stitches since the 2nd row onward. It should work if you keep every row 24 stitches.
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:33 AM   #6
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

It might be that on the first row you didnt move the yarn to the front for a purl (or to the back for a knit) at some point and accidently created an extra stitch on the needle , thus giving you an odd number of stitches.

As long as you have and even number of stitches then for k2p2 ribbing, the first two stitches will always be k adn the last two will always be purl. as a rule as people have already said, you knit the knits and purl the purls.

For example, holding the left needle with the knitting pointing to the right, ready to start a new row, a knit stitch will have the loop on the needle and a little 'v' underneath it, like a head with a scarf around the neck (the loop on the needle being the head). a purl has a loop on the needle with a dash underneath it, it looks like a head with a noose around the neck. if its a man with scarf you knit it, if its a man with noose then you purl it.

And some how with all that you get ribbing.

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:30 AM   #7
Riss
Knitting the Flap

Okay... quick question... when you cast on... do you count the initial holding the yarn onto the needle as the first one? Or do you count the ones after that?

I ripped and tried again. The first time, I counted the number of loops on the hook as 24 (counting that first initial loop as one). I then did the k2p2, and ended up short a loop, ending with a k2p1.

I ripped that, cuz obviously it wasn't right. Then I cast on 24, not counting that initial loop, worked the first row, and had an extra loop. Am i losing my mind?!

I ended up doing a decrease (using the last two loops as one) and then turned, continued working the pattern. It finally worked. I finally started seeing ribs after like 8 rows... But I still don't think i'm successfull. I'm gonna bind off and try again...
Old 07-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #8
knitasha
Turning the Heel

Yes, the first loop on your needle is counted as a stitch.

Several people have said it: if, after the first row,
you knit the knit stitches and purl the purl stitches,
you'll get ribbing.
Knowing what knit and purl stitches look like will also help you avoid knitting in the "extra" loop of the first stitch and messing up the stitch count.

Also: it takes several rows for any pattern, including knitting, to "show." Sounds as though you are not getting it right and seeing the results. Congratulations -- the next try will be easier.
knitasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You do count your first CO as a stitch; it's easy to miscount though, I have a number of times over the same set of stitches. What kind of CO are you using? You may be losing a stitch as you work across that first row that's causing it to not come out right.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #10
Riss
Knitting the Flap

suzeeq: I've been doing the double cast on. I've tried doing the single cast on, but when I make a mistake, its really hard to go back and fix it. With the double cast on, it holds it's place better so it's easier to pick back up.

I don't know what i'm doing wrong. The BF is leaving for work in a few hours and I'll have all night to work out the problem. I'm just going to have to practice it.