Old 07-05-2007, 11:08 PM   #1
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Niagara Falls!!
Okay everyone, I need some help with this trip we're "supposed" to be taking this fall. I've started my research and am just overwhelmed by all the things we can do over there. Plus I'm wondering if we should just keep driving to the Canadian side as everything I've read says that the American side sucks.

Any suggestions on hotels that aren't more than $100.00/night?? I would really like to pick something that's within walking distance to everything yet not cost us a million dollars.

I know, wishfull thinking on my part, but it never hurts to ask.

We're thinking of going the last week of September or the first week of October. I've looked into the Frommers and Fodor's books/websites, and while some info is good, they are just lacking the right things I'm looking for. Like I said, mainly a hotel. I figure once we find a place to stay then I can start making out our itinerary.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-06-2007, 02:15 AM   #2
debb
Knitting the Flap

Here's an article I noticed while researching my vacation

http://www.budgettravelonline.com/bt...092700885.html
debb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to debb For This Useful Post:
bailsmom (07-06-2007)
Old 07-06-2007, 06:19 AM   #3
Quiltlady
Working the Gusset

I love the falls
I live in Eastern NY and the Falls really are beautiful. The USA side is much improved than it use to be. I was very satisfied being on this side for my last trip there.

Years ago I did go on the Canadian side and it was spectacular. If you can cross over go for it, if you don't you'll still come away happy that you saw it from either side.
Quiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:53 AM   #4
cathoo

I'm planning a trip to Niagara Falls too, and everyone I've talked to says the American side is better. It may be that people are "used to" the local side and think the other is exciting.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:58 AM   #5
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

I went to college in Buffalo, NY and have been to Niagara more times that I can count. I generally park on the American side and see everything over there (skip the cave of the winds tour) and then WALK over Rainbow Bridge into Canada and see the canadian side and try the Cave/Behind the falls tour they run. As an adult I didn't think the Maid of the Mist tours were worth the money, but maybe if you have kids they would.

Walking into Canada is much easier than taking the car typically, if you take the car they ask for all kinds of identificaiton and open the trunk etc so the lines build up. If you walk, just put your 50cents in the kiosk and off you go.

What else is there in the area that you are interested in doing? I have always made it a day trip so that we didn't have to pay $$ to stay within walking distance.

Have Fun
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:29 AM   #6
Miss Moosey
1st Leg of the Journey

The Canadian side of the falls is very fun, but I actually feel like it's a little more touristy than the American side. On the other hand, that means there is an awesome Hershey's store on the Canadian side with a giant chocolate bar sculpture on the building!

In terms of seeing the actual falls, you can't really see the Canadian falls well from the American side but you can see the American falls from the Canadian side.

But it's worth walking (not driving--the wait at the border can be anywhere between five minutes and two hours) over to the American side and just meandering through the park there. There are these cute little islands on the American side called the three sisters islands which are a great place to walk and picnic.

And remember--if you do the Maid of the Mist wear sandals so you won't have to deal with wet and sloshy shoes for the rest of the day!

Enjoy Niagra!
Rebecca
Old 07-06-2007, 09:38 AM   #7
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by vaknitter View Post
I went to college in Buffalo, NY and have been to Niagara more times that I can count. I generally park on the American side and see everything over there (skip the cave of the winds tour) and then WALK over Rainbow Bridge into Canada and see the canadian side and try the Cave/Behind the falls tour they run. As an adult I didn't think the Maid of the Mist tours were worth the money, but maybe if you have kids they would.

Walking into Canada is much easier than taking the car typically, if you take the car they ask for all kinds of identificaiton and open the trunk etc so the lines build up. If you walk, just put your 50cents in the kiosk and off you go.

What else is there in the area that you are interested in doing? I have always made it a day trip so that we didn't have to pay $$ to stay within walking distance.

Have Fun

Thanks for the information

Like I said, once we get a hotel then I'll be able to plan the rest of the trip. We're not staying that long, maybe 3-5 days. Depends what we find along the way there. It'll take us about 6-7 hours to drive there so we may stop somewhere in between if we see something interesting.

I did figure that we'd be walking for most of the trip as I've read in several places that we'd be sitting in our cars longer than it would take to walk somewhere.

Why should we skip the Cave of the Winds??
Old 07-06-2007, 09:39 AM   #8
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Miss Moosey View Post
The Canadian side of the falls is very fun, but I actually feel like it's a little more touristy than the American side. On the other hand, that means there is an awesome Hershey's store on the Canadian side with a giant chocolate bar sculpture on the building!

In terms of seeing the actual falls, you can't really see the Canadian falls well from the American side but you can see the American falls from the Canadian side.

But it's worth walking (not driving--the wait at the border can be anywhere between five minutes and two hours) over to the American side and just meandering through the park there. There are these cute little islands on the American side called the three sisters islands which are a great place to walk and picnic.

And remember--if you do the Maid of the Mist wear sandals so you won't have to deal with wet and sloshy shoes for the rest of the day!

Enjoy Niagra!
Rebecca
Hey, thanks for the tip!!
Old 07-06-2007, 02:21 PM   #9
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

As a kid I remember cave of the winds being incredible as we walked behind the falls etc. When I took my husband there just a couple of years ago and we did Cave of the Winds on the american side we walked out and around 1 of the falls (disappointing) then we saw people on the canadian side walking behind the falls so I would look into that one first before spending money on the American side. By the time we got over to the Canadian Side we were out of money so ... I believe on the Canadian side it is called Journey Behind the Falls and that must be the one I remember.

There is free parking in a park, along a street not too far away along the river that feeds into the falls that you can walk up to the falls visitor center from. Niagara doesn't really have an entrance and an exit so you can come and go all day long.

Gosh I never really stuck around to do other things in the area b/c I was so close I took Niagara for granted...Toronto's not too far away if your interested in heading over there. Seems to me there may be a marine park and a butterfly/rose garden near Niagara.....
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:06 PM   #10
Vendie
2nd Sock, I Rock

I prefer the Canadian side - right in Niagara Falls can be touristy, but if you go along the river a bit, it gets very beautiful.

Niagara on the Lake is nice too. It's a cute little town with shopping and restaurants and wineries. They hold the Shaw Festival there, if you're into theatre.

There's lots of hiking along the gorge, if you're interested in that sort of thing. Lots of nature-y things to do on the Canadian side. If you're into history, there's Fort Niagara.

If you go up to Lewiston, NY, there's this neat place called ArtPark. It's been a very long while since I've been there, but I remember it being fun when I was a kid.

I used to live between Buffalo and Niagara Falls, and my husband is from St. Catharines, which is near Niagara Falls, Ontario. We know the area fairly well!

It's only uphill until you get to the top of the hill

Vendie is offline   Reply With Quote