Old 07-11-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
LeslieA
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LeslieA Send a message via MSN to LeslieA Send a message via Yahoo to LeslieA
Where to start...
Hi everyone, I have really been thinking that I would like to crochet, I have tried many times before but for some reason have found knitting easier.

But there are a lot of larger projects that I would like to make, namely blankets, that I think would go a lot quicker if I crocheted them. As currently I am working on a baby blanket, I'm knitting, and I am still working on it...the baby has been born already...geesh..lol

So any tips would be great...

Leslie
3: Various.....
LeslieA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
Braden
Instepping Out

Start with smooth, light colored worsted weight yarn, and an H hook. Learn one stitch before you go onto the next one. So, master chain, single, double, etc. Then, put them into a project. The most important thing is do not get frustrated if you don't get it right the first time. Hardly anybody gets things right the first time.

Good luck!

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Braden For This Useful Post:
LeslieA (07-11-2007)
Old 07-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Braden's advice is good. I find one of the hardest things for beginning crocheters is to get how to hold the yarn in the left hand. If you happen to be a Continental knitter you are a step ahead. It is important (IMO) to figure out some good way to tension the yarn and to hold your left index finger out supporting the yarn going to the hook. If you don't get this part down, grabbing the yarn with the hook to pull it through the chain loops or stitches is hard, so work on keeping that left index finger out, supporting the yarn for an easy grasp on the yarn.

You could look at Amy Finley's videos on how to knit Continental for help with this, maybe even learn to knit Continental and then learn to crochet from there. A Continental knit stitch and crocheting are similar.

Another thing a lot of people have troube with is working the very first stitch. Count your stitches at first and make sure you aren't losing any at the beginning or end of the rows, if you do you will begin to get a triangle where you were trying for a rectangle. :-)
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MerigoldinWA For This Useful Post:
LeslieA (07-12-2007)
Old 07-12-2007, 09:54 AM   #4
LeslieA
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LeslieA Send a message via MSN to LeslieA Send a message via Yahoo to LeslieA
Yes I think my problem is getting that first stitch started to start my row...I can make a chain very good...lol

And yes I also think my tension is a problem too...I tend to be a bit tight...but am working on that also...as I knit kinda tight too...lol

I think I was also confused on where you put the hook into the stitch after you finally get that first row done....I found a video online and I think I've got it now...we shall see....

I have more practicing to do..lol

thanks so much for the help both of you!!!!
Old 07-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #5
cftwo
Working the Gusset

I agree that getting the tension right takes the most practice, so be patient with yourself on that. You might like to start with something small, like a dishcloth, so you can practice your stitches, but not be stuck with the same pattern forever. Use the sugar 'n spice yarn just like you'd use for knitting them. Scarves are another good beginner option - you can get very different looks by working either the length for a few rows, or the width for many rows.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cftwo For This Useful Post:
LeslieA (07-12-2007)
Old 07-12-2007, 12:05 PM   #6
Karrying Kolor
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi Leslie!

Just a tip that's worked for me for a long time...

As I built skill, I discovered that I was not establishing the stitches tension over the index finger as in knitting but through my thumb and middle finger.

Holding the work with my thumb and middle finger just below the row I'm working allows me to keep the fabric taut and the loops I pull through even with the ones already on my hook every time...Even creating a chain, holding the chains stitches firmly, moving my fingers along it's length as I increase is how I establish and maintain tension!

It may work for you!

Good luck with your projects, I look forward to seem them!

P.S. another small thing about the base chain...If you always hold your hook sideways, (front point to back handle) when making it, the loops will all be the widest width of your hook and your stitches will be even and identifiable, especially the end one's that sometimes get missed. Overall, your chain won't be to tight to work!

Hope I've made sense

OTN: Wheat Ear Cable Yoke Sweater
Irish Hiking Scarf & Watch Cap
Raglan Sleeve Hoodie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(KarryingKolor)

Last edited by Karrying Kolor : 07-12-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Karrying Kolor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karrying Kolor For This Useful Post:
LeslieA (07-12-2007)
Old 07-12-2007, 01:30 PM   #7
LeslieA
Turning the Heel

Thanks again.....so much to think about...yeah I was thinking about working on a dishcloth actually lol I do have a few balls of sugar n' spice that I picked up on sale...hmmm maybe I'll try when I get home tonight..

Thanks again for all the great suggestions..!!
Old 07-12-2007, 02:56 PM   #8
Limey
Turning the Heel

Hi

I've been knitting English method for years, then taught myself Contintental - now I've found myself wanting to learn how to crochet - if only to put decorative edges on my knitting.

Anyhoo, this video seems (to me) to explain things very clearly and shows you how to make the stitches for a bag by getting you to do a square first.

http://www.aolshowme.co.uk/search-results/crochet

All the Best

Ellie
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:12 PM   #9
LeslieA
Turning the Heel

Thanks so much Ellie, that video was great...

I loved how she held her tension yarn, she made it look so simple lol

I have also wanted to teach myself continental style knitting, I think it would be much faster...in time right...lol

I'll let you all know how I go on my progress..lol

Leslie
Old 07-13-2007, 09:12 AM   #10
LeslieA
Turning the Heel

YAY

With the help from that video Ellie suggested and another I found on You Tube...I got it!! I actually made 1/2 a dishcloth last night.

I don't know....all of a sudden it just clicked....hmmm all the possibilities lol

For anyone that's interested I used theknitwitch videos on you tube.. she has 27 of them...crochet and knitting...she also has a great one on doing continental knitting...I am definitely going to try it...

Thanks everyone!!!