Old 07-05-2007, 03:59 PM   #1
Jaye
Ribbing the Cuff

questions on how to knit a vest
Hi,

Hoping someone can help me with some questions. Want to knit a vest and had some questions before starting.

1. Armhole band. Need to p/u stitches - where on the armhole should I start?

2. Button hole. How will I know which technique to use even if I buy the buttons beforehand.

3. Left/Right front. When pattern refers to left front, for example, is that the left facing the garment or the left when wearing the garment?

4. Short row question. Not on the pattern, but would like to know. Do you start the short row on the same row that pattern calls for dec first 2 stitches?

Appreciate any help. As you can probably tell I am a new knitter.

Jaye
Jaye is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
mwedzi
Working the Gusset

For question 1, it doesn't matter too much, but I usually start at the arm pit so if there's any wonkiness it will be less visible.

For question 2, you can use whatever technique you like. Or what the pattern tells you. I guess I don't understand this question. Some buttonhole types will be looser than others, is this what you're getting at?

For question 3, I think it refers to left or right as worn.

mwedzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
Jints
Turning the Heel

Quote:
For question 1, it doesn't matter too much, but I usually start at the arm pit so if there's any wonkiness it will be less visible.
As Jaye said, Under the arm.
Quote:
2. Button hole. How will I know which technique to use even if I buy the buttons beforehand.
Its personal preference really. try swatching some to see what you prefer.
I find the 'yarn over, k2tog' buttonhole adequate for almost all buttonholes on cardigans.(it stretches well to allow button through). Unless you are using HUGE buttons, then you would need to try a different method (i would probably go for the One Row, cast off/cast on, buttonhole shown on this site).
Quote:
3. Left/Right front. When pattern refers to left front, for example, is that the left facing the garment or the left when wearing the garment?
As you wear it.
Jints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:41 PM   #4
MrsDavis3
Knitting the Flap

swatching is not just for gauge
Jints' suggestion is good, I do swatch for reasons other than gauge. If you have questions about a certain little part of a pattern, you can do that little part as a swatch first, so you can practice before doing it on the garment. Details like the beginning of a v-neck, or a buttonhole, etc. can be worked out ahead of time this way.

"One can never have enough socks."
A. Dumbledore, Book One, Chapter 12
MrsDavis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:15 AM   #5
Jaye
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks everyone -- terrific help!

Jaye
Jaye is offline   Reply With Quote