Old 07-07-2007, 03:13 PM   #1
KnitClickChick
Turning the Heel

Question for any quilters
I have been wanting to make a quilt ever since I was a kid and watched my mom make one. She has long since been out of the crafts phase, and can't really offer any advice. I really really want to make a quilt. I have a sewing machine, and I got some quilting magazines, and there are a few quilts I am considering making that don't seem too hard. I understand a little bit, like fat quarters, but there are some other terms I have come across in the magazine that they do not give a definition for. Is there a good quilt book or website that breaks it down for beginners? I think I should start with the very basics. I really want to be sure I know what I am doing before I spend a lot of money on fabrics only to screw it up.

Wish List
Clapotis
Another felted bag
Mrs. Beetons Wristwarmers

On The Needles:
Silver's Palindrome Scarf - in Patons SWS Natural Pink
Feather and Fan Shawl - in Estelle Cadenza
KnitClickChick is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-07-2007, 04:07 PM   #2
zazzu
1st Leg of the Journey

Quote:
Is there a good quilt book or website that breaks it down for beginners?

I've only been quilting for six years, but the book I keep referring to is "Quilts! Quilts! Quilts!" by Diana McClun and Laura Nownes. I have a bunch of other quilting books, but I rarely open them.

Someone else will be able to better recommend a good quilting website. So far, I haven't found one that's been truly helpful with my quilting. I visit a quilting forum, but that's more for chat/venting than actual quilting help.

When I learned to quilt in 2001, I took a beginner class at my local quilt shop. Since then, I've taken several quilting classes at different shops. I have mixed feelings about taking classes. You really need to be a "people person" to endure them. Only you know that about yourself, so I can't really help you there.

Good luck on your new endeavor! Quilting can be fun sometimes, other times it can be a real PITA but at least you get a quilt out of it.
zazzu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zazzu For This Useful Post:
KnitClickChick (07-07-2007)
Old 07-07-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
KnitClickChick
Turning the Heel

Thanks! That looks like a great book, got a lot of good reviews on amazon, too. I'll have to head out to the book store!

Wish List
Clapotis
Another felted bag

On The Needles:
Old 07-07-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
ironmaiden
Knitting the Flap

I'm actually working on my first quilt as we speak :D. The book I bought is here: http://www.amazon.com/Quilting-Bible...3854000&sr=1-1

I actually bought it at JoAnn's though.

It's fantastic. There are clear close-up photos of everything, many design examples with directions, and even very basic information like what fabric to use, what thread, etc.

I've already made about 1/3 of my blocks since yesterday. (Simple 9 patch blocks but still lol).

:D

OTN: Evangeline, Criss-cross cable scarf, Cabled sweater, Malabrigo drop stitch scarf
ironmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:45 PM   #5
Quiltlady
Working the Gusset

How wonderful
How wonderful to have another Quilter among us. There are MANY wonderful books out for beginners. Alex Anderson's books are great too.

If you'd like a great quilt message board..I suggest you go to the quilt message board over at HGTV. The one there on quilting is full of friendly and helpful people.

A simple nine patch block quilt would be a great place to being. You can find wonderful block patterns for FREE at www.quilterscache.com

Many of us do swaps etc. and use their blocks. Good luck

Last edited by Quiltlady : 07-07-2007 at 09:45 PM. Reason: mispelled a word
Quiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiltlady For This Useful Post:
KnitClickChick (07-07-2007)
Old 07-07-2007, 10:28 PM   #6
KnitClickChick
Turning the Heel

Great link, Quiltlady!! I am in complete awe at all the different block patterns there!! Wow! I can tell quilting will be my new obsession -- so many possibilities. Thanks to all for your help!

Wish List
Clapotis
Another felted bag

On The Needles:
Old 07-07-2007, 10:50 PM   #7
debinoz
Turning the Heel

I learned to quilt before there were such things as fat quarters and rotary cutters. I was taught by by aunt how to do applique, by hand. The only actual sewing machine work I was allowed was sewing the blocks together. I have since then made a couple 9 patches and a few "grab bag" quilts. I like making summer quilts more because batting and I just don't get along.....

I don't know of any sites or books, but thought I'd add my name to the quilting pot!
Old 07-09-2007, 05:33 PM   #8
Silver
Instepping Out

I'm a relatively new quilter too. I've found that the best resource is your LQS (Local Quilt Shop). Don't be shy, ask questions if you have any. In my experience, quilt shop people are way, way sweeter than yarn shop people!

Here's a few of my favorite quilting links
Block Central
Complete Idiot's Guide to Quilting e-book
Simply Quilts Videos
Fons & Porter's
Shabby Fabrics (caution.. way beautiful fabrics afoot!)
Connecting Threads (as Knit Picks is to knitters, Connecting Threads is to Quilters)

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:
KnitClickChick (07-10-2007)
Old 07-10-2007, 07:21 AM   #9
ironmaiden
Knitting the Flap

Thanks for posting those Silver, I know what I'll be doing this morning :D.

While we're talking quilts, I have a question. How crucial is a darning foot to quilting? I don't have one yet but I am almost done with my quilt top and I wonder if when I finish pinning everything I should wait until I can pick one up to finish it?

The only feet I already have are a regular one, a zipper foot, and a teflon foot.

I am willing to wait of course, just curious.

OTN: Evangeline, Criss-cross cable scarf, Cabled sweater, Malabrigo drop stitch scarf
ironmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:28 AM   #10
zazzu
1st Leg of the Journey

Quote:
In my experience, quilt shop people are way, way sweeter than yarn shop people! :grin:

Oh, how true!!

Quote:
How crucial is a darning foot to quilting?

I'm interested to read what other quilters say about this. I've only used mine for a machine-quilting class, since I only quilt in straight lines or subtle curves. A darning foot would be used for free-motion quilting, or curvy shapes.

IMO, it's more important to have a walking foot, which prevents the "sandwich" of top, batting and backing from slipping and causing puckers when it's quilted. A walking foot is for stitch-in-the-ditch quilting (stitching in a seam), or straight line quilting. I'd recommend you get this before a darning foot, which is for more advanced quilting techniques.
zazzu is offline   Reply With Quote