Old 07-10-2007, 09:44 AM   #11
ironmaiden
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by zazzu View Post
I'm interested to read what other quilters say about this. I've only used mine for a machine-quilting class, since I only quilt in straight lines or subtle curves. A darning foot would be used for free-motion quilting, or curvy shapes.

IMO, it's more important to have a walking foot, which prevents the "sandwich" of top, batting and backing from slipping and causing puckers when it's quilted. A walking foot is for stitch-in-the-ditch quilting (stitching in a seam), or straight line quilting. I'd recommend you get this before a darning foot, which is for more advanced quilting techniques.
I think that's what I meant lol - a walking foot - I was planning to use straight lines. I just wasn't sure what the effect was :D.

OTN: Evangeline, Criss-cross cable scarf, Cabled sweater, Malabrigo drop stitch scarf
ironmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-10-2007, 11:15 AM   #12
NinaT
Knitting the Flap

I've been quilting for about 20 years now. The first book I bought was Eleanor Burns' Log Cabin Quilt. I made a ton of those!! So fast and very forgiving (not a lot of seams to match).
Try to find a small quilting group through your local guild. I belong to one and it is the most wonderful group of ladies. You get great ideas and all the help you need. It's also nice to be able to help the new quilters.

Finished: Socks for DS
Hexagon Purse

On Deck: Beret from Gathering of Lace
NinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:07 PM   #13
Arielluria
Instepping Out

I've quilted for a long time. Don't have any books to recommend but there were always good ones. Even just pick up a "Quilt" magazine at the store, it should have the beginner's info to get you started.

The #1 thing to remember is ALWAYS pre-wash your fabrics, then iron before cutting!

If you don't already have a cutting mat, ruler, and rotary cutter, get one - you can find them even at Walmart!

If it's an easy straight seamed thing (like putting squares or triangles together), learn the fast way to do it by chain sewing. Sew 2 pieces together, then as soon as they are off from under your presser foot, start on another 2, etc.....so you have about 1/4 of thread between pairs. (Instead of lifting the foot, clippling thread and doing the next pair, etc.) This also keeps them all together so your dog doesn't take off with them.......but I digress......

When pressing your pieces together (say you sew 2 squares together), always press to the darker side fabric if you can. Sometimes it's unavoidable.

To make your edge seams perfectly match up, make sure one seam goes to one side and the other to the opposite side. I hope that makes sense.

Get some of those long quilting pins too. They are soooooo great! You won't ever want to go back to regular pins again!

Good luck! I wish I could recommend a good quilting forum, but I'm not really doing that now, totally addicted to knitting.
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:44 AM   #14
michellebreton
1st Leg of the Journey

Debbie Mumm has really good quilt books as well. She'll take you step by step through the quilt. What I like about her methods is that if you need a bunch of squares sewn together, she'll have you cut long strips of fabric, sew those together, and then cut them apart along the length so that you end up with a bunch of squares sewn together but you've only sewn one seam. Am I making any sense?

Michelle
michellebreton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #15
ironmaiden
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by michellebreton View Post
Debbie Mumm has really good quilt books as well. She'll take you step by step through the quilt. What I like about her methods is that if you need a bunch of squares sewn together, she'll have you cut long strips of fabric, sew those together, and then cut them apart along the length so that you end up with a bunch of squares sewn together but you've only sewn one seam. Am I making any sense?

Michelle

That's a great idea.

OTN: Evangeline, Criss-cross cable scarf, Cabled sweater, Malabrigo drop stitch scarf
ironmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:14 AM   #16
Mazie
1st Leg of the Journey

The best advise I can give to a beginner quilter is to take a Mary Ellen Hopkins quilting course. There a lots of people that teach her 'quick piecing' method. She also has a dozen or more books on the strip piecing technique, any one of which would be good. There is also a sewing machine foot you can buy that gives you a perfect 1/4" seam allowance, ask for it at your local quilt shop.

With 40+ years of quilting experience, let me say, the cutting mat and rotary cutter along with a 6" x 24" clear ruler are indispensable but you really need some instruction with the use of them. your local quilt shop will show you the care and use of each item. please pay attention to their instructions.

quilting classes are the most fun you can have with a metre of fabric, bar none. i just can't say enough about the satisfaction I have had with the quilting process and the gifting of my 'Art' to friends and family. of course there are some of my 'Babies' I just won't part with, whine all you like.
Mazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:55 AM   #17
Arielluria
Instepping Out

DEFINITELY get that walking foot!
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #18
mare-nitt
Turning the Heel

Welcome to the world of quilting. I have been quilting for 7 years, and it was my passion. Until I realized, what do I do with all these quilts? And I have a lot.:rofling:

BlockCentral forum is a great place for advice, but they are getting alittle more political these days, and that takes the fun out of the site. But they did have great tips for beginners.

A walking foot is a must. And just always make sure I have an exact 1/4 seam and your pieces are cut correctly, and you will have a beautiful quilt. (personnally, I do not pre wash fabric because I like the aged look when it shrinks after it is washed, I use a color setter so I don't worry about fabric bleeding)

But now, my passion is knitting, I love it. I never knew you could have a yarn stash! I knit all the time now, because it is a portable hobby. But I still do some quilting, I love that still too.

So, add me to the quilters that now knit.

Marilynn
http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/n...albumview=grid
mare-nitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:38 AM   #19
Quiltlady
Working the Gusset

My first quilt...
MY first quilt was a kit for a baby quilt. I was expecting our first child. We lived in Texas at the time far from "home". So I'm self taught.

There are MANY wonderful quilt magazines out on the market too. Here are three of my favorites...

http://www.bhg.com/bhg/store/product...odid=prod80002

Another great one is....
https://secure.palmcoastd.com/pcd/do...ikey=0594SIA01

Love this one too
http://www.thequiltermag.com/
There are even more if you do a search for quilt magazines.
Quiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiltlady For This Useful Post:
KnitClickChick (07-14-2007)
Old 07-14-2007, 11:34 AM   #20
mare-nitt
Turning the Heel

Quiltlady, that is funny. I started to quilt because we built a house and had this huge bare wall that needed something. Si, I thought I would make a large quilt to hang there.

Unlike you, I have made many quilts, but after 7 years none for that wall yet!

Marilynn

PS Maybe I will knit something for that spot.
http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/n...albumview=grid
mare-nitt is offline   Reply With Quote