Old 07-08-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

Closed dog door - suggestions needed
When our pomeranian is making too much ruckus barking at our neighbor's dogs, we get her inside and close off the dog door. However, sometimes we fail to notice that our yorkie is still outside. When he is ready to come inside, he is always in a hurry (seems like 40 mph) and he hits the solid door so hard that he is too scared to come in when we let him know that WE know he was trying to come inside and that it is now safe. He just stays in the yard and won't even come to us easily. This has happened twice...once in winter when it was too cold to leave him outside and just today.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make the dog aware that the solid door is in place before he hits it? Pepper is like a small child who is always running full bore - in or out. Guess we probably just need to train ourselves better to be aware of whether he is inside when we close off the flap.

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
Silver
Instepping Out

Yeah, I think your best bet is to make sure both dogs are inside before closing the doggie door.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
Limey
Turning the Heel

Hi

How old is your little Yorkie and how is his general re-call?

If he's bounced himself off the door, obviously just let him settle for a minute or two - then talk to him in an enthusiastic and warm tone and let him see and smell you've got a lovely yummy treat in your hand (piece of ham or roast chicken) and try to get him to come to you. When he starts coming towards you, praise him up loads - he's the best little dog in the world voice.

Accidents will happen, especially if you're busy and don't want the neighbours upset by your other dog - so you get him in fast. All I can suggest is that you make it second nature to yourself that if one comes in, then BOTH come in at the same time.

All the Best

Ellie
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:13 AM   #4
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

Pepper is about 5 years old. Fortunately he is more solidly built than the smaller yorkies (about 10 lbs.)...more like a scottie. He won't even come to us easily after these incidents. I had to go out in the snow one bitterly cold night with nearly bare feet to catch him with a leash this past winter. Even offering treats or speaking soothingly doesn't help. Just have to train myself better to check where Pepper is when closing off the dog flap...in or out.

I was especially concerned about Maggie's barking yesterday since it was a Sunday morning when people should expect a little peace. Luckily, our neighbor never complains even when I've brought up the subject with her. However, it bothers my husband and me.

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
Old 07-09-2007, 09:49 AM   #5
Chel
Turning the Heel

I would put something visible over the inside and outside of the doggie door when you close it so he can physically see that something is blocking his way-from either side. If he sees something covering the door from the inside and knows the door is closed, then he should pick up pretty quickly that anytime he sees that over hte door, its inaccessible to him.

However its important to remember dogs don't see color as we do. To them the colors green, yellow and orange look alike. Red looks different and so do shades of blue and purple. The color blue-green or aqua appears white to dogs.

Either white hand towels or white poster board painted with fabric paint in multiple colors, then fastened over the doggie door would work well. You would just have to be consistant about putting it up there every time you closed the doggie door and removing it when you opened it.

OTN: Jaywalkers (hibernating), Webs Scarf
KnitInNature
Chel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
cftwo
Working the Gusset

You may have to train yourself - as I've trained myself to make sure there are no cats in a closet before I close the door, to make sure that my keys are INSIDE before I lock up for the night, etc.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
Orangeus
1st Leg of the Journey

Checking to make sure both dogs are in would be the best way to solve the problem, but for those times when Pepper is still out, what if you put something, like a box infront of the door? That way it will be visibly different, and probably add a bit of padding if slammed into.

And I want to thank you on behalf of all neighbours, for being aware of when your dog is barking, and trying to keep her quiet. Unfortunately, most people are not this considerate, so it's refreshing to see that there still are nice neighbours out there!
Orangeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

Our nighbor is a nurse who works various shifts. Having worked shift work myself, I'm keenly aware for the need for sleep. She says that she can sleep thru anything, but it still bothers me when the barking goes on for too long...especially on Sunday mornings.

Placing a box or something in front of the door sounds like a good idea. Will try it next time. Don't know why I didn't think of it before.

Thanks!

KJV
Old 07-10-2007, 08:13 PM   #9
Arielluria
Instepping Out

I agree with Chel. Dogs are so smart (especially terriers) that if you say hang a bell or something, so it's shiny and easy for those mostly color-blind eyes to see when it's OK to come in, then he will quickly learn to put the breaks on when that isn't there. [You can use anything, as long as it's readily visible to him from many feet away].

Perhaps hang it on a string long enough to be pulled inside when you are locking the door.

If not a bell, remember they are mostly color blind and can see greens and reds best.

But you would have to remember to pull the bell up when you lock the doggie door. If you forget he'll get confused and not know anymore whether to trust your signal.

It's like leaving a "do not disturb" sign out for him

BTW, I have a Pepper too, a Shih Tzu/Poodle mix:
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:

Last edited by Arielluria : 07-10-2007 at 08:19 PM. Reason: added pic
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote