Old 07-08-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
mscarmen
Ribbing the Cuff

lace gauge or normal gauge?
Hi all!
I'm working on a lace top, my own design, I've made other things of my own design and found it quite simple - as long as you get your gauge right and all your measurements obviously. This is my first garment made totaly out of lace, and already my mind is going crazy with questions, like how am i supposed to decrease when all the actuall decreases in the pattern stitch are decorative? I'll ask that question some time in the future, But for now I've only just picked up my needles and knitted a gauge. I knitted the gauge in the lace pattern stitch, as i thought a normal stockinette stitch gauge would be all wrong besides the top is completely lace.
Thing is the lace pattern stitch creates a wavy/scallop edging allover. So how do i measure it correctly?
I don't think knitting a straight forward stickinette gauge would make sense in this case, but tell me if I'm wrong. If I'm not then i guess I'm just confused as of how to measure this gauge I've made!
can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance!
mscarmen is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-08-2007, 06:18 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
One way to do it, is to make about 3 pattern repeats and measure how many inches per repeat. Then you can tell how many repeats to get the measurement you want.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
mscarmen
Ribbing the Cuff

I did that.. my gauge is 64 sts and 36 rows, thats 4 pattern repeats done 3 times. The only reason i can't measure it is because it makes a wavy/scallop/uneven edging on the bottom and at the sides, am i supposed to measure the widest part or the thinnest part? every part of my gauge measures differently.
Do you know what i mean?
Old 07-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Is your top going to be wavy at the sides, or do you have selvedge stitches for seaming? Maybe you could average out the uneven edges. I've made lacy sort of tops, at least the bottom half, and just go by pattern repeats. If I'm wrong, I get to take it out and start over again.....

Old 07-09-2007, 01:31 AM   #5
redwitch
Working the Gusset

Try IK fall '06 for a good discussion of shaping in lace with lots of charts to show what they mean. For the swatch, instead of following a formula like (measurement in inches + ease in inches) x swatch spi = CO#, think about what this swatch means for the garment. The thinnest part may be the minimum required to fit you but give a far-too-big measurement on wider parts. A photo with a ruler in for scale would help. Are you not staggering the repeats so a wider part goes next to a thinner part to balance it ou? What's the pattern?
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:38 AM   #6
mscarmen
Ribbing the Cuff

What is IK? ( IK fall 06 ) probably a silly question... I will post a picture of my gauge tomorrow, I'm not at the right computer! The pattern is a fern lace
Multiple of 16 sts
Row 1 (RS): *K9,yo,k1,yo,K3,sk2po; rep from * to end
Row 2 and every foll WS row: Purl
Row 3 * K10,yo,K1,yo,K2,sk2po*
Row 5 * K3tog,K4,yo,K1,yo,K3, (yo,K1) twice,sk2po*
Row7 * K3tog,K3,yo,K1,yo,K9*
Row9 * K3tog,K2,yo,K1,yo,K10*
Row11 *K3tog,(K1,yo) twice,K3,yo,K1,yo,K4,sk2po*
Row 12 Purl

My gauge is 64 sts and i repeated the above 3 times, I used two strands of Alpaca With A Twist Fino on 2.75mm needles. I measured the two middle repeats accross and got an average of 2 inches, but i still have no idea wether to measure the tallest bit or the shorter bit. Maybe when i post the pic it will be clearer..
Now theres the pattern stitch maybe i can jump to the decreasing question, how do i decrease when all the decreases in this pattern is decorative? Should i K4tog instead of 3 or sk3po?
Old 07-09-2007, 08:51 AM   #7
redwitch
Working the Gusset

It's Interweave Knits magazine, this should answer all your questions about how to increase and decrease in lace.
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

I don't know if IK - Interweave Knits is available to you in England, however maybe someone could find a copy of it and send it to you. As for the decs, I think they should be separate from the pattern; if you put in selvedge stitches that would work. Or you'd have to write the rows differently, or just say to `keep sts in pattern' the way other patterns do.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:20 PM   #9
mscarmen
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm not quite sure what you mean Suseeq. Do you mean that on each side of the knitting before i start dec instead of knitting in the pattern st i should just do a stockinette st. I was planning on knitting the bottom half ( before zipper insertion ) on circular needles then changing to straights. I've never had to do these kind of dec before, I'm still not sure myself, but the most invisible way i can think of going about the dec is instead of all the K3tog do a K4tog, and instead of all the sk2po do a sk3po. as for the inc instead of a K3tog do a K2tog and instead of a sk2po do a standard sl1 k1 psso.
what do you think?
Old 07-09-2007, 01:36 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

That would seem to be the most logical for decs/incs, but k4tog and sk3po are really hard to do. Are these decreases at the armhole edge? Then what about the incs - where do they go?