Old 07-02-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
CCNZ
Casting On

I am confused!!! Definitions please
I think I have a newfound addiction - knitting and felting bags! So I am googling for free patterns, lol! But I am getting confused - how's a tote different from a bag different from a purse????? Don't know if it's just a cultural thing or maybe I just wasn't taught right, but I always just thought purse is what girls have as opposed to what boys have called wallets, so some of the "purse" patterns are what I'd call bag/handbags.
CCNZ is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-02-2007, 10:39 PM   #2
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
A tote tends to be larger and has an open top, but otherwise they're pretty much interchangeable terms as far as I'm concerned.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:58 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I've always called a purse a handbag, a tote is what Mason said, and a wallet is a wallet.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:17 PM   #4
Krystal
Turning the Heel

Well women and men use wallets equally. Women tend to carry their wallets in their purses along with everything else in there life.

And totes to purses to handbags and whatever other "bag" name you can come up with is just another variation of a bag.

Like a pair of pants can be slacks, or jeans or low rise, high rise, flared, skinny, wide leg, short... the name just indicates a slightly different style.

Totes tend to be larger with an open top.

Clutch - Purse without straps

Purse tends to have straps

so many variations for a bag. Which means one thing. So many more options for us to choose from!

You can also check out this page HandBag 101

the link should bring you to the glossary which will tell you about everything from bag types to even fabrics used in a list.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:31 AM   #5
CCNZ
Casting On

Thank you everyone
CCNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
Limey
Turning the Heel

confused
Hi

'tis indeed confusing. If I said I'd lost my purse, I'd mean the small, leather, money wallet-type thing with a clasp - the one I keep my cash in. I wouldn't mean that I'd lost my handbag or my shoulder bag.

A tote bag to me, means a bag with long handles or something that used to be known as a 'duffle bag' (back in the mists of time) or a bag you can just get on your shoulder and have the rim of the thing under your arm.

I still find it odd that Americans say 'purse' for hand or shoulder bag and 'pocket book' for purse.

As the man said: 'Two countries divided by a common language.'
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:30 PM   #7
samm
Turning the Heel

Hi there! I'm in Canada. My Scottish grandfather called his money holding item a purse, as you do. Maybe it's a British term? In visiting the U.S.A., I hear what I call a purse, a handbag, being called a pocketbook. Which to me is something to read. I always have to think when I hear my sil talking about her pocketbook. Very confusing isn't it! We call handbags purses or handbags, interchangeably. And my wallet goes into mine. And Mason's definition of a tote I agree with. Usually open and they can be larger than an everyday handbag. Purse. Some totes are huge, and I have a quite small one for knitting projects. Wallets are where I keep my money and cards. My grandfather's purse. Around and around we go!!! I can see why you are mixed up! Maybe you can see sizes on the patterns and that will help you decide? That's what I usually do. Good luck from another handbagpurse knitter! samm
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:57 PM   #8
Limey
Turning the Heel

confused
Hi Samm

I think you're right about the pocket-book. Whenever I heard the term I used to think that it was a pocket-sized diary or calendar thingymebob.

All the Best
Old 07-04-2007, 12:30 AM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I think pocketbook is an East Coast thing. I had a friend from New Jersey who always called her purse a pocketbook. She called hamburger chopped meat, too.

My wallet contains my money, cards and DL. It goes in my pocket or a purse or tote bag.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:17 PM   #10
Limey
Turning the Heel

confused
Hi Suzeeq

You're right, I heard the term 'pocketbook' when I lived in Massachusetts. They also call a groundhog a woodchuck ... I'm just not saying what they called me!

Ellie