Old 07-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
Angelia

Hair removal products
I love the feel of shaved legs, but my leg hairs are so thick and grow so fast that the silky feel lasts about half a day. The worst hairs start from the middle of my calf down. They're also really dark, so even after just shaving, my legs have 5 o'clock shadow

I really don't want to pay for salon waxing, and frankly I can't afford it. I have tried Neet, but it isn't powerful enough to get rid of these leg hairs from hell. I have used the Jergen's stuff that slows hair growth. It helps a little, but not enough. Any suggestions?

TIA

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
I'm a traditional razor/shaving cream girl but I have very light hair on my legs that grows pretty slow...I only need to shave my legs once a week if that. My mom though hates shaving and has been using Nair for as long as I can remember, she loves it. They have a 5 minute kind that is quick then you just rinse off. Whatever you do don't use Nads. I don't know if you've seen the infomercials for it but its supposed to be all natural and painless. I don't think so. It hurt so bad and was basically like trying to wax my legs with honey and cloth strips. What a waste of money, but it seemed so great I had to try.
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I find that using some sort of scrub before shaving helps me get a closer shave. I'm not particularly hairy, but I do think it helps. The sugar scrub/ body polishes are awesome even for arms/back, etc. Makes you sooo soft!

I tried one of those lotions (don't remember which one), but it made me feel sticky...like it didn't soak in.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
What about those Sally Hansen wax kits? I get some hair on the tops of my feet (), so that's what I use them for, but they're sold in "leg" packs or "arm" packs or "face" packs, so they are designed for legs. The ones I usually get are the no-heat kind, you just rub them together between your hand, separate the strips and put them on your legs. Press them down, and then rip 'em off. Not as good as a "real" wax, but it might help.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:28 PM   #5
Angelia

Only shaving once a week?! I'd love that! You're so lucky!

I've tried Nair, too. It doesn't remove the bad hairs.

Jan, I do exfoliate before shaving, which does help for getting a close shave. But still, just half a day of smooth legs.

Stine, I tried the Sally Hansen years ago, but the 'wax' never got hard enough to adhere to the hairs. Maybe I just got a bad box? Sorry you have Hobbit feet! Apparently, I have Hobbit legs.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
Nair didn't work for me, either.

Angelia, are you thinking of the ones you have to heat up? These don't get hard...they just stay sticky, so you can re-use the strip to get hairs that didn't take the first time...I'll bring one to FF if I remember.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:12 PM   #7
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
Maybe you should try using actual wax. I have a friend that never shaves, she only waxes her legs but she does it herself with something like this.
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaydee For This Useful Post:
Dangles (07-10-2007)
Old 07-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #8
Chel
Turning the Heel

I totally get this thread. I get barely half a day of smooth legs-sometimes less!

*waits eagerly for the solution*

OTN: Jaywalkers (hibernating), Webs Scarf
KnitInNature
Chel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:38 PM   #9
KnitClickChick
Turning the Heel

Well... I hate to shave my legs, it is such a pain in the butt. Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but I only shave about once a month. Not because I have light hair and can get away with it, but because I really don't care. I do not wear shorts, so it isn't like anyone has to look at my legs. And boyfriend really doesn't care. Sooo, I get pretty hairy legs! Have you tried Epilady? www.epilady.com You know, one of those gadgets that just rips the hair out. My aunt used to have one when they first came out. She said the first time hurt, but after that it really wasn't a big deal.

I agree with the comment about Nads being a waste. I tried that a few years ago, and it didn't do a very good job getting all of the hair out.

Wish List
Clapotis
Another felted bag
Mrs. Beetons Wristwarmers

On The Needles:
Silver's Palindrome Scarf - in Patons SWS Natural Pink
Feather and Fan Shawl - in Estelle Cadenza
KnitClickChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:46 PM   #10
brownishcoat
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to brownishcoat Send a message via Yahoo to brownishcoat Send a message via Skype™ to brownishcoat
I use this: Magic Shaving Powder Platinum

I get it at Walgreens (drug store), around $2.

It works awesome. It has to be super creamy (not too watery) and sometimes a second coat is needed. I apply the first coat, wait five minutes, and apply the second (my hair is very thick and stubborn). Ten minutes on the skin total.

Then I rinse it off in the shower and scrape the skin with the edge of a plastic spoon. This dislodges the loose hairs that didn't let go in the rinse.

->"You say tomato, I say pimp." --Michael Westen, Burn Notice<-
brownishcoat is offline   Reply With Quote