Old 07-12-2007, 10:10 AM   #11
misstialouise
Working the Gusset

I beleive Ian McKellan wouldn't play Dumbledore as he didn't want to be playing one so soon after Gandalf.

I think after having Richard Harris play Dumbledore in the first two movies, Michael Gambet is a more forceful 'D', and it may be harder for us to accept him in the role. HOWEVER, I do think that going into these last movies, MG makes a good Dumbledore. I mean, if you can't have Richard Harris.... right?

Version: 1.1
KCR++ Exp+ SPM+ *Options+++ Addi+ Wood+ Cas+ Cot++ Wool+++ Lux++ Hemp++ Nov+ Stash++ Scale+ Fin+ Ent Lace++ Tex++ Felt+++ Flat Circ+++ DPN ML2 Swatch+ KIP Blog SNB GaugeDK(F) WIP+(++) ALTSw+Sp+Cr+X

------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------

On my Options:
Drake the Dreaded Dragon Backpack - girly version for my niece for Christmas

I'M IN !! I'm vintagegrrl on Ravelry
misstialouise is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-12-2007, 10:16 AM   #12
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
I saw the movie last night in IMAX, it was alright but definitely didnít do the book justice. I know they canít incorporate everything from the book since it would make the movie super long but I just thought there was way too much left out that wouldíve helped to develop the story further. Knitlee, I agree with all of your comments, those were many of the things I was going over after the movie a little disappointed. I think the thing that saved it for me was that the last 20 minutes of it was in 3-D which made the fight scene pretty neat. If it hadnít been for that I think I would have been a little more peeved about how it deviated so much from the book. I miss quidditch, the scene at St. Mungoís, Ron and Hermonie as prefects, the scene at the end with Harry and Sir Nicholas just to name a few. I think they could've done a little better.
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:56 AM   #13
wewantmore
Knitting the Flap

As a movie I thought it was great.

As far as 'following' the book, well yeah they missed the boat on that one.

But the books are always better than the movies. (not just HP books either)

Michelle

wewantmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:29 PM   #14
Knitlee
Ribbing the Cuff

I just remembered something. In the scene when Umbridge catches the kids in her office and Snape come in, Harry tells him "Padfoot (Sirius) is in the place when it's hidden (Ministry of Magic)." Snape then turns and says he has no clue what Harry is talking about. In the book, later on we find out that Snape understood what Harry was saying and alerted the Order. This was never mentioned in the movie, so those who have never read the book are made to think that Snape is a jerk and not even part of the Order.
The more I think about this movie the more upset I get. It completely misdirects the audience's view of Snape. He was trying to help Harry in this book! You'd never know that from the film! Those how make HBP and DH may have to be creative in filling in the blanks and getting the audience back on track.
I know the books are always better than the movie, and I know not everything can be in the HP movies. However, the film-makers have left out vital information. Does Rowling approve these scripts? Why didn't she insist they include the important explanations? Grrr!!!!!
Old 07-12-2007, 12:45 PM   #15
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
Well i think that if they had included everything that is being asked about here, the people who went to the midnight showing may still be in the film. I don't think there was much in the film that could have been left out and it was already over 2.25 hours long.

As far as the scene in Umbridge's office, I really do think that most people would have gotten the impression that Snape understood what he was being told and was just playing dumb for Umbridge. I obviously don't know what other people were thinking but it just seemed like the look of understanding was there and Harry didn't try harder to get him to understand, ya know what I mean?

There is a reason I don't reread the books right now (beyond that I just don't have time.) It allows me time to forget the details of the book and just enjoy the movie for what it is.

I thought the movie was great. I didn't agree with one of the reviews that I saw that it was the best yet, but I did think it was in the top 3. I would probably say the top 2 if I didn't still have a special affection for the first movie.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:04 PM   #16
PCwombat
Knitting the Flap

There is evidence that Rowling does approve the script. She told the writer that he should include something because otherwise they would paint themselves into a corner when the seventh book came out.

I think it's a minispoiler for book 7. It doesn't give the plot away, but it does tell you something/someone that will have importance.

If you want to know, PM me.
PCwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:22 PM   #17
UnspeakableJoy
1st Leg of the Journey

I watched the midnight movie and went in knowing that there would be parts left out, and therefore wasn't disappointed a bit. Like many have already said, books are ALWAYS better than the movie.

My favorite part was when Umbridge was taken away by the centaurs and she asks Harry to tell them she's a good witch, and he goes "I must not tell lies"

I also liked gangsta Dudley the entire theatre was cracking up ... and I loved the battle at the end! I loved the action shots of Harry and Dudley running in the beginning ... I loved seeing the Dementors without their cloaks (okay they were freaky, but cool nonetheless) ... I thought Voldemort's possession of Harry to be VERY cool ... I also like Dumbledore at the end - seeing a much more compassionate side to him talking to Harry while he's possessed ...

Sure I would have loved seeing Neville's parents in Mungo's, or how Percy turns into a bloody git or how the statues come to life and protect Harry ... if I had my way, the HP movies would be the entire book ... maybe in mini-installment movies ... like each book would be 4 movies. Now THAT would be cool

But my two cents, I loved it just as it was, and will definitely see it again soon! I it!

OTN: Feather-and-fan comfort shawl
UnspeakableJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:40 PM   #18
willowangel
Knitting the Flap

I liked it - just got back. I've always been of the opinion that they'd have to do 'chapter' movies if they wanted to get the intracacies in, so, while the movies are good films in and of themselves, they're never going to live up to the books because that's what Rowling's good at. Her power lies in a very specific way of writing that very, very few authors can do - one where nothing, absolutely nothing, is wasted and everything is tied up at the end. In order to be true to the books, the films would have to be verbatim, and that's impossible unless done as a series. That she decided to write 'kids' books doesn't take away from the fact that her skill at writing is incredible and very, very hard to emulate.

About the Snape scene - it wasn't as powerful as the book, but I think it was powerful in the film in a different way - it cemented the loneliness that Harry felt - that he couldn't even count on his father, on the memory of this great man that everyone keeps talking about - it felt like even he'd abandoned him somehow. I think it made a good precursor to the release of the last book - the one where he really does have to go it alone.

(My big question is 'What does Mrs Dursley have to do with all this? She obviously knows more than has been said - Dumbledore told her she should know better etc, so where does she come in?)
Old 07-12-2007, 07:51 PM   #19
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

I just got back from the movie. I echo some of the previous statements. I finished listening to the book for the second time yesterday. In a way it was good cuz I could mentally fill in details. But, I'm not sure if the movie could hold it's own because I could fill in the details. Like when Harry tells Snape about Padfoot.... I knew Snape was a good guy, but there is no way for just movie goers to know that....

The special effects, set designs, costumes, etc., were all really great. I think the most outstanding character development, tho, was the twins. They did a great job of their final moments at Hogworts.

It was good enough I'm going back tomorrow and catch more of the details.

Dudley looked even dumber.
Sirius looked cleaner.
Lupin looked tired.
Tonks has hair to dye, er die, for!
Wanted to see more development of Snapes memories...

Wish someone would make a three or four year long mini-series of the books....

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:06 PM   #20
misstialouise
Working the Gusset

I really think you're underestimating Alan Rickman's performance. Even though I've read the book, my husband hasn't.. and HE got that Snape understood and played dumb for Umbridge.

I have never gone into the movie as a fan of the book (although I am), because after the the second movie I realised that they just *can't* put everything in, especially now as the books are over twice the size of the first 3.

They're tracking the MAIN story. The subplots, I beleive, are for the book readers. Some are relavent but not essential and some are superfluous to the story. I think as far as the MAIN plot goes, they're doing very well. It's just a shame that movies can't be 4 hours long with intermissions anymore :(....

Version: 1.1
KCR++ Exp+ SPM+ *Options+++ Addi+ Wood+ Cas+ Cot++ Wool+++ Lux++ Hemp++ Nov+ Stash++ Scale+ Fin+ Ent Lace++ Tex++ Felt+++ Flat Circ+++ DPN ML2 Swatch+ KIP Blog SNB GaugeDK(F) WIP+(++) ALTSw+Sp+Cr+X

------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------

On my Options:
Drake the Dreaded Dragon Backpack - girly version for my niece for Christmas

I'M IN !! I'm vintagegrrl on Ravelry
misstialouise is offline   Reply With Quote