Old 07-12-2007, 09:42 PM   #21
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
Just got back! We really enjoyed it! My kids thought it was terrific, but neither of them reads the books. My 9-year-old DD leaned over and said, "Are they skipping parts?!" I told her, as I have before, that books are always better than movies...but both of my kids look at the THICKNESS of those HP books and turn away.

I'm going to have to go back and re-read the books. I seem to have forgotten quite a bit.
Ronda is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-12-2007, 10:17 PM   #22
UnspeakableJoy
1st Leg of the Journey

So ... now that you've watched the movie, what do you want to knit from it??

I want to knit Hermione's white fair isle (?) scarf, Fred, George & Ron's caps, and one of Dolores Umbridge's pink outfits - maybe a cardigan??

OTN: Feather-and-fan comfort shawl
UnspeakableJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:24 PM   #23
Knitlee
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by UnspeakableJoy View Post
So ... now that you've watched the movie, what do you want to knit from it??
I still have to knit a Weasley sweater.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:56 PM   #24
PCwombat
Knitting the Flap

Lol, UnspeakableJoy, everytime a knitted piece was worn, I couldn't help noticing it and being all "hmmm, would I want to make that?"

For the possesion scene, I'm not sure if I liked it. However, I was rather impressed with Daniel's acting. He's come a long way from the "He was their friend!!!!" disaster in the third movie.
PCwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:37 AM   #25
misstialouise
Working the Gusset

I want the cardies!!!

I'm sure there were hats and other things in it that I wanted.. but I'll have to see it again to make a list.. LOL

(can see Charmed Knits II in the works after the last movie)

Version: 1.1
KCR++ Exp+ SPM+ *Options+++ Addi+ Wood+ Cas+ Cot++ Wool+++ Lux++ Hemp++ Nov+ Stash++ Scale+ Fin+ Ent Lace++ Tex++ Felt+++ Flat Circ+++ DPN ML2 Swatch+ KIP Blog SNB GaugeDK(F) WIP+(++) ALTSw+Sp+Cr+X

------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------

On my Options:
Drake the Dreaded Dragon Backpack - girly version for my niece for Christmas

I'M IN !! I'm vintagegrrl on Ravelry
misstialouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:05 AM   #26
UnspeakableJoy
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Knitlee View Post
I still have to knit a Weasley sweater.
Me too!! I think I may get started on them after Christmas - I have too much to knit before then

Originally Posted by PCwombat View Post
Lol, UnspeakableJoy, everytime a knitted piece was worn, I couldn't help noticing it and being all "hmmm, would I want to make that?"

For the possesion scene, I'm not sure if I liked it. However, I was rather impressed with Daniel's acting. He's come a long way from the "He was their friend!!!!" disaster in the third movie.
Me too!! At one point, after my like 6th time of, "Ooooh, I want to knit that!" My daughter shushed me and said "That's enough Momma!" Well, about the possession scene, I didn't LIKE it like it, but like you said, was impressed with Daniel's acting - I also like seeing a more compassionate and pleading side of Dumbledore.

Originally Posted by misstialouise View Post
(can see Charmed Knits II in the works after the last movie)
I thought the same thing too

Have a great day everyone! TGIF!

OTN: Feather-and-fan comfort shawl
UnspeakableJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:10 PM   #27
dakatzmeow
Turning the Heel

i watched this movie through knitter's eyes. every hat, glove, scarf, sweater, etc. was scoped out as future projects.

favorite parts:

when harry says he must not tell lies as the centaurs are carrying umbridge away.

when sirius punched lucius.

i would've cast the lady who plays mimi bobeck as umbridge, but i know rowling wanted an all brit cast, so i can understand. but she would've been hilarious!

i thought it was just ok. but i knew they couldn't have everything from the book in the movie.

married my beloved january 9, 2008!!!!! <3
dakatzmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:18 PM   #28
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
I just saw it last night. I think they did a pretty good job, and the pacing was fast--there were very few times I thought they should speed up a scene so they could fit more in, but the pacing was sometimes TOO fast, and I felt a lot of stuff (particularly the beginning) wound up disjointed.

Re: Richard Harris v. Michael Gambon as Dumbledore...I'm in the minority on this one. I never liked Harris's Dumbledore, because I thought if someone sneezed in his direction, he'd fall over and break his hip. Not exactly the kind of Dumbledore that could handle the battle with Voldemort at the end of Order of the Phoenix.

I like Gambon inasmuch as he comes across as a powerful force to be reckoned with--I just wish he had a bit more of Dumbledore's whimsy.

Umbridge was a great casting choice.

I THOUGHT that was Helena Bonham-Carter. I wanted to make Marla Singer jokes every time she came on screen.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:16 AM   #29
PCwombat
Knitting the Flap

Heeheehee, off the top of my head, my only Marla Singer joke is something that really shouldn't be said at a Harry Potter movie.

(Something involving grade school...)
PCwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:42 AM   #30
cathoo

Originally Posted by Stiney View Post
Re: Richard Harris v. Michael Gambon as Dumbledore...I'm in the minority on this one. I never liked Harris's Dumbledore, because I thought if someone sneezed in his direction, he'd fall over and break his hip. Not exactly the kind of Dumbledore that could handle the battle with Voldemort at the end of Order of the Phoenix.
Stiney, I'm totally on your side!

I'm also someone who thinks that this movie was much better than the book. The first few books were much better than the movies, and I liked GoF equally to the book. It might be because I read the book in a day and got sick of it repeating itself so much. The book was very much "In case you can't remember what happened 2 chapters ago, here's a nice summary" whereas you didn't need that in the movie.