Old 07-11-2007, 02:59 PM   #1
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
How common is couple's knitting?
I have noticed BostonBecca's boyfriend has started not only knitting, but a knitting blog. And also saw where Gamerchick said she taught her husband to knit. My husband of 40 years let me teach him to knit last fall on our anniversary. He became quickly addicted and knit about 20 hats, one right after the other, all his own designs, just experimenting and learning. He is on to other projects now but is still interested and will no doubt take it up again when it gets cold.

I was wondering how many other people have spouses or boyfriend/girlfriends who knit? In other words is this couple's knitting common, or rare? If your DH/DW or DBF/DGF doesn't knit, do you think you would like them to? How does couple's knitting work? Do you fight over needles? Enjoy SEX together? (Couldn't resist this abbreviation, if you don't know it please check the frequently used abbreviations. It's not all that private.)

Looking forward to hearing from you all.
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-11-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
Jax3303
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Jax3303
I taught DH to knit about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago. He likes it, but is nowhere as addicted as I am, and he also dosen't understand my fiber addiction, but he does scowl when he touches crap yarns in stored He's knit a full sized afghan (there's a thread with pics of it floating somewhere around here) , some pillows, hats, & gloves.

My Blog

Jax3303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
Chel
Turning the Heel

The guy I used to date thinks of it as "Womans work" which is how I like it. LOL

OTN: Jaywalkers (hibernating), Webs Scarf
KnitInNature
Chel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
tropicallie
Ribbing the Cuff

Several years ago I taught my DH to sew and he then taught himself to quilt. I taught him to use one of those round loom knitters and he made himself a hat last year but hasn't really expressed much interest in learning to crochet, hand or machine knit. I, on the other hand, have no desire to learn his hobbies which include fishing, gunsmithing, fishing, woodworking, fishing and fishing. Oh, and judging by the expanding sizes and number of toolboxes, random tool collecting. And fishing.
tropicallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
Jeremy
Mod Squad

My wife knits but I knit a lot more.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:41 PM   #6
Lady Violet
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
My wife knits but I knit a lot more.

that's kind of like my stash is bigger than your stash.

"Beautiful yarn speaks to the soul of a knitter." - Shandeh

"The Swatch is good. The Swatch is wise. Listen to the Swatch." - Sandi Wiseheart

Lady Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:55 PM   #7
gamerchik
Knitting the Flap

MerigoldinWA: Wow...your DH designs his own stuff??? I don't even know how to do that, except for on simple scarves! I'm impressed!

Jax3303: I literally laughed out loud when you said your DH scowls when he touches crap yarns. That...is...awesome!

Jeremy: You rock. :happydancing:

I have to say that my DH wasn't too weirded out about learning to knit, and he did get even more comfortable about knitting when I showed him all the guys on here and some of the pics of the FO's/WIP's done by guys. He's a creative person and he likes to make things with his hands, so the possibility of making a cool hat, scarf or blanket (doing it himself, and making something that he WANTS and that is useful) really appeals to him.

This Sunday after around 4pm, the Discovery Channel is running all shows that have to do with ancient Egypt. We love that kind of thing, so we've already made plans to just sit down at 4pm and knit all night while we listen/watch the shows. I love being able to share this hobby with him. I hope he gets more addicted as he gets going.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:37 PM   #8
UnspeakableJoy
1st Leg of the Journey

I've taught both of my children how to finger-weave, and will be teaching them to knit later this fall/winter when we're looking for indoor activities.

OTN: Feather-and-fan comfort shawl
UnspeakableJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:52 PM   #9
debinoz
Turning the Heel

DH and I have a deal.... he don't knit and I don't drink. What he spends on beer in a month, I get to spend on yarn. Funny how his drinking slowed waaaayyy down after that!
Old 07-11-2007, 06:18 PM   #10
willowangel
Knitting the Flap

I taught my bloke to knit, he enjoys it but still gives me 'looks' when I spend too much on yarn, although the other day he was a total sweetheart and, while I was drooling over pretty yarns for a top I want to make, went 'I need 50, cry', at which point he came over, kicked me off the puter and transferred the money into my account despite my protests. He's adorable, but I'm still not sure if I'll ever get the scarf he's been knitting for me for 6 months ;-)