Old 07-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #11
BostonBecca
Turning the Heel

You women tell your boyfriends how much you spend on yarn? Until I see a wedding ring on my finger I just don't think it is any of his business as my finances are my finances!

I think it is normal/appropriate to at least learn about your sig other's hobbies. I did stress to M that knitting was originally a guys' thing and I think we are both pretty progressive in thinking that there aren't really activities that are only for one gender.

KnittingDefender on Ravelry.

BostonBecca is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-11-2007, 06:38 PM   #12
gamerchik
Knitting the Flap

My DH and I follow a simple principle: as long as we can afford it, I can get whatever I want, and he can get whatever he wants. If I want to spend a bunch of $$$ on yarn or needles or whatever and we've got the cash, I do. If we don't have the cash, I'll skip it (we're not rich or anything like that). It works out perfectly. I didn't buy myself anything leading up to his birthday and we were able to get him an expensive video camera, which he has been wanting FOREVER (he likes to make short films and stuff...youtuber). We never fight about money. I that about us.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:26 PM   #13
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Gamerchick,

When I first taught DH the knit and purl stitches and he had made a few little swatches I told him he was ready to make something, what did he want to make? And he said a hat. So then I said okay, "You need to learn how to rib and you'll need to learn to work on a circular needle, but that's not hard." So I just taught him the basics of how to make a hat. No gauge swatches or anything, just cast on 84 stitches and make a hat. When he got to the top I showed him how to do the decreases. He is not interested in learning to follow a pattern.

Here is my Photobucket site that has pictures of his hats. The first ones will be the the last ones he made. The first one he made is the second from the end. There are 4 pages of hats, multiple views of some of them. Click on "Things Hubby Made" if you'd like to look. I taught him corrugated ribbing because I thought he would like it, he did. He learned a lot of things; every hat would give him an idea for another. He is very artistic and has made things with his hands all his life. Some things he has made are cabins, a boat, sandals, quilts, and some of the best Vacation Bible decorations in the country. I'm pretty proud of him.
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:39 PM   #14
Riss
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Riss
Oh my... you are some very lucky women. I was telling my DBF the other day about a scarf swap I had just joined. He told me I have too many old lady hobbies (knitting and crochet). When I was crocheting my giant ripple, I'd catch him watching me. I'd slow down, explain the act of a dc to him, and then offer to teach him. It was like he turned green at the idea! I can't even imagine suggesting to him that I teach him to knit. Maybe one day in the future. He is really good about bringing me to AC Moore to get yarn though :X
"Super green."
-The Fifth Element

Rissymur on Ravelry
Riss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:07 PM   #15
debinoz
Turning the Heel

Marigold:

What a talented husband you have!! His hats are fabulous. I really love his use of color and structure. Greaat job!!
Old 07-12-2007, 05:24 AM   #16
DQ
Working the Gusset

My DH refuses to let me teach him! But he is very supportive of me doing it so I'm not complaining
Old 07-12-2007, 06:16 AM   #17
gamerchik
Knitting the Flap

MerigoldinWA: Your husband's hats are A-MA-ZING! I am SO impressed! He's way beyond my skill level, lol...I'm just a beginner and I don't yet understand how to do Fair Isle or Intarsia. And hey...YOUR stuff is incredible also!!! Thanks so much for sharing. I bookmarked your photobucket so I can show my DH all of the amazing projects.

Riss: If you stay together, I bet that you will one day teach him how to knit. Just remember that I said so when he finally breaks down! It might take two weeks or ten years, but I bet he comes around. You never know, right???
Old 07-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #18
pandaca
1st Leg of the Journey

Becca Ė It got to the point where I didnít even want to tell my DH what I was spending on yarn! Thatís when we gave ourselves monthly hobby budgets. J

Merigold Ė Those hats are fabulous!

I love that some of you knit with your SOs. DH would never be interested in knitting. But then, I guess Iíd never be interested in fixing his truck or building a computer, so thatís fair.

pandaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #19
feministmama
Instepping Out

Suggestion: When a male SO says something about knitting as an "old lady" thing say this as a response, "what's wrong with old ladies?" I happen to be proud of my grandmother and and I don't like people dispariging her simply becasue she's a woman over a certain age. Or saying that knitting is "women's work" say "what's wrong with women's work? It's women that put you on this palnet ya know!"
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:26 AM   #20
msoebel
Turning the Heel

My dh is still of the mistaken belief that knitting is something old women do. He believes that, at 29 years old, I am "eccentric" and that this is just another of my "quirky" habits that he can love about me.

I know, because he told me so.:rollseyes:

I offered to teach him to knit, but got the same response I got when I offered to teach him to paint. I think I'll stop trying to make my straightlaced, conservative hubby anything but himself...God knows he doesn't try to make his artsy fartsy "quirky" wife anything but what she is!

Misty

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote