Old 07-12-2007, 10:10 PM   #1
redwitch
Working the Gusset

UPDATED - How is this legal? Copyright Q? And ethical dilemma
So I was captivated by YH's pic of the baby surprise jacket, which I knew was some kind of marvel... when I saw her pic of it unfolded, I was intrigued, but couldn't find a local source for the pattern. I though it would be interesting to see if I could work out something similar myself (yes, interesting, slow, and riddled with ripping). I thought that I could see how it worked, at least you start off with double decreases to make the CO edge into the neck/top and wrist cuffs. Later, increases to make corners... some other stuff... although I would quite possibly have chucked it all in and bought the pattern. With trial and error, I might be able to work out something similar, from the unfolded photos I found on the net (I have no moral problem with this). At least I was thinking about trying it. Then I found this.

~deleted link by Jan in CA~

Row-by-row instructions. The woman specifically states that she is not posting the pattern, that the notes will only make sense in conjunction with the pattern. But they make sense to me. Is she being sarcastic (like those blogs where someone posts 'if you have a copy of Rowan Summer '0X DO NOT contact me offering to send me a photocopy or scan of the Dragonfly pattern because if you do I will not accept'. Hint hint.)? Or does she think it's legal? If this is okay I must have a serious misunderstanding of copyright as it applies to knitting patterns.
And now an ethical dilemma... I might or might not have ever gotten around to actually trying to work out exactly how to make this or something similar, but after coming across it, do I just ignore it? I still want to try to work it out what with not having a local source... but I don't know if I have the willpower to do that knowing the instructions are available online, even though I totally believe that when you write a pattern it is a possession and if someone doesn't want to buy it off you they don't have a right to it. Regardless of whether you actually lose money or not from them having the information.
Don't we have a lawyer with copyright knowledge somewhere on here? I'm really curious about how this is legal!

Sarah

Last edited by Jan in CA : 07-13-2007 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Deleted link due to copyright issues
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-12-2007, 10:35 PM   #2
jumboneedle
Ribbing the Cuff

OK, the first caveat to this is that I have not passed the Bar (yet, I hope), so this does not constitute legal advice, only my opinion (it's an ethical thing). Second caveat, I only got a B in Intellectual Property law, so take this with the appropriate grain of salt.

All that said, I'm not entirely sure you can copyright a pattern in and of itself any more than you could copyright a recipe (for more knitting and cooking, see my blog post for tonight). I would liken a pattern to a formula, which can definitely not be copyrighted. When people put together books of facts, like encyclopedias, they have a copyright over the exact presentation of those facts, not the facts themselves.

In addition, independent creation is a defense to copyright infringement. If you lived in a cave all your life then happened chistle out Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows on your wall, well then JK's out of luck. Of course, this is a pretty tough fact to prove, but there it is.

So, that's my 2 cents. Man, I should've gone to more class...
Old 07-12-2007, 10:52 PM   #3
redwitch
Working the Gusset

Stitch patterns aren't copyrighted, but the specific wording of them is. Patterns for items, like a whole jumper with instructions from start to finish like in a knitting magazine or book, are copyright and are not posted free on the net without the author's permission. Yor're really not even supposed to make a photocopy from your book and give it to your friend (although it happens a lot of course and is difficult to enforce).
But this woman has specifically written out line-by-line instructions for the jacket.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:20 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
In the Baby Surprise yahoo group, there's similar row by row instructions for a daily knitalong. You can easily figure the pattern from them. Don't know if this woman got them from there, or made her own notes as an aid to those knitting the pattern.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:19 AM   #5
jeanius80
Instepping Out

that woman has definatly posted the pattern line by line (i think she tried to feel better about it by saying this :"Here are my notes to help keep your place while you knit the Baby Surprise Sweater (Jacket) by Elizabeth Zimmermann. ") but then she gives you these instructions which makes her line-by-line pattern knittable :
"
How to read these notes:
Two sides are always same amount of sts, only one side of numbers is noted, with center sts next.
The dividing stitch between sections isnít noted, so there are 2 more sts to add to the row total on most rows.
(In other words: numbers show the amount of sts on one side, then you have the dividing st, then the center section sts noted next, then for the other side after the next dividing st you will also have the same amount that is listed for the first side)"

i am not a lawyer by any stretch, but seems to me she has violated some kind of law about sharing a pattern that is still available for purchase and not 'vintage'.
jeanius80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:28 AM   #6
redwitch
Working the Gusset

Exactly. I know the pattern is a bit vague but she provides gauge and number of stitches to cast on and everything. It's entirely understandable and you could knit the jacket from it without the original.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:45 AM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,782 Times in 7,145 Posts
I deleted the link because posting it here could also be constituted as a copyright violation especially since it's a public forum. For future reference please don't post the actual link in the forum in these situations. You can PM a mod with the info so it can be discussed privately. Thanks.

I've forwarded the link and info to the knitbabysurprise forum owner. I'll let you know what happens.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:55 AM   #8
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Do please accept the potential that many people do not understand the issues of copyright law and if a person found there were omissions from the original they may have felt they were doing others a service by letting them know. Certainly there are ways to do that without publishing what is really the original pattern but some people may not know this. There is a difference in my mind in intent between someone going out of their way to offer free patterns when they shouldn't and someone who acted perhaps guilelessly.

I'm just recommending that people not assume the worst in this sort of instance. Why not just give the person a quiet heads up and then decide on other action if they ignore or tell you to bug off?

If anyone is motivated to poo hoo my comment about not everyone understanding the laws I suggest you don't. Last year a major telco ran a completely inappropriate ad that showed poor knowledge of copyright laws ..so, if a large corporation that has a legal team can fail on that then so can individuals. I remember seeing notes from a copyright librarian in an academic institution a few years ago and I was floored by the detail of the laws. It is, as another posted suggested, a knowledge field unto itself.

Certainly, err on the side of caution but once again, don't assume people are always poorly motivated.
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:40 AM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
That was my thought, that the woman posted the instructions to be of help to knitters because the original is somewhat vague, and not to simply pass around the pattern. And sometimes people forget about such things as copyright, or are not aware that being helpful could violate CR laws.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:34 PM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,782 Times in 7,145 Posts
I received this reply to my query about whether this was a copyright violation.
---------------------------------------------------Quoted from an email to me:

Meg (Swansen) is already aware of this, and has approved it. I don't know why Dawn didn't put that on the pages, though, because you aren't the first one to bring this to my attention.

Truth be known, it isn't any more detailed than the tutorial that we use on the list -- that was also approved by Meg before we started using it. I think since the pattern was published in a magazine several years back, she's a bit more tolerant of those who puts up worksheets on it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the page has been approved I will share the link again.
http://www.3gcs.com/adcock/free%20pa...SS%20Notes.htm

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Doodknitwit (07-14-2007), jeanius80 (07-13-2007)